It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Depression, The Blues Or Just My Pity Party?

Hi, all . . . been around Health Boards a while but new to Depression.

Last month after having a complete physical, I was told I had a pre-cancerous female condition which sent me into something unusual. I felt sad most of the day, did not want to talk to anyone, husband could not even get a smile out of me, and even in front of the television, I just stared at my hands or something on the coffee table.

A kind person on the anxiety boards (I have had anxiety since age 16 and am now 51) gave me reassurance about my diagnosis and I felt good for a whole month.

Yesterday (I have sciatica as well), I was home all alone with no way to get to a hospital and no one to call. I hurt my back lifting something to the point where I could not walk for several hours.

All day today I have been feeling really down that I am getting old and things are going to continue to degrade with my physical condition. It is also to the point where husband cannot talk me out of it but says I am merely experiencing "the blues" which is normal when you get bad news, or if you feel pain or sick.

This being the second time I have felt like this, I am wondering if this is the start of actual depression? Is it possible to just have a down day now and then without having chronic depression? Do I just need to get out of myself and quit having my own pity party?

Thanks for any advice.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Depression, The Blues Or Just My Pity Party?

Hi Lindaru

Everyone gets the blues now and then. The key is if it continues. If you continue feeling blue, hopeless, total lack of interest in things that used to interest you, than you may be suffering from depression. It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about it. There are a lot of anti depressants out there. The down side with them is they take awhile to kick in, most people have some side affects when first taking them and last but not least, can ruin your sex drive. I hope you are just having some blue days.

Best wishes to you,

JB

Old 09-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Thank you, J. B. . . . you seem to be my guardian angel!

I am feeling a lot better emotionally today as my back is not as bad. Husband says he gets those kinds of emotions when his pain and/or mobility takes a turn for the worse, so I guess that is just what it probably is. He thinks it is simply "getting old" and realizing you will never be the same as you were when you were 20 again.

Really do not want to try the medication route. Was put on Phenobarbitol when first diagnosed at 16 which caused severe hallucinations and suicidal thoughts. I was taken off after I did attempt suicide. Guess I will just have to deal with it the best I can if it happens again.

Again, thank you!

Lindaru

Old 09-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

imtupp HB User

I'm in year 7 of my struggle, though I never realized it til about 8 or 9 months ago. I no longer work as my lack of ability to handle stress around me. Things that were beyond my control, and sometimes dumb things but never the less, I couldn't handle it.

Things I now understand as I've sought help with psychiatrist & psychologist. She (psychologist) made me realize there are 5 things you need in your life on a regular basis. They should be practised as often as possible. You might try;

1. Exercise(though this was the very hardest one for me to do)
2. Listen to music
3. Watch funny movies
4. Bond with your pets
5. be creative

This can't hurt anything, so you might as well try. Good Luck to you.

take care,
tup

Old 09-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Tup . . . and thank you for sharing that!

I do exercise when I can (out of the question now until my back heals up but I did get out and walk outside a little bit today).

I do listen to music. I have always felt that the harmonics and vibrations that music provides can actually regenerate you somewhat.

I do enjoy watching especially the old situation comedy television shows such as "Andy Griffith" or "Leave It To Beaver".

I have animal allergies, so no pets.

As for being creative, there are two things I do almost daily. I write humorous stories for a posting board and also write humorous captions to animal pictures that another person posts there.

It is this last one that made me wonder if I could really be depressed because it was always my understanding that truly depressed people would not be able to continue creative endeavors.

In talking to some older neighbors today, I am finding out that a lot of people seem to have days like the two that I have had so far. They say it is typical to be down when you are worried about your health.

Stay well, Tup . . . and again, thank you for your help!

Lindaru

Closed Thread