It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
(male)

insideman HB User
Wanting everyone to do worse than me

Not sure what to expect on here but I get quite annoyed with myself. I have always been this way but I always feel quite bitter and twisted regarding other peoples good news.

Friends, work collegues or anyone - when they have some good news esp if I am jealous of it, I am secretly not happy. I don't know why as I should be happy for them but often find myself saying "That's great" through gritted teeth.

Obviously certain things I geniunely would be happy about like a couple I know who got pregnant after trying for a long time. However its things that affect me directly like if a friend got a better job or they are happy in a relationship and I wasn't.

I know its partly natural to have a little jealously but surely I shouldnt be happy when a friend or collegue is going through a bad time but it makes me feel better.

I just feel an awful awful person

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User
Re: Wanting everyone to do worse than me

Hi insideman,
I admire your honesty. I think lots of people feel this way but wont admitt to it and so they never get to work it through...
I'm not sure why you feel like this. Are you depressed, feeling helpless or hopeless? MAybe it has something with if other people are doing worse than me then I'm doing OK after all!
I know that my mum talks alot about other people in the negative sense, they are always wrong or somthing. SHe has a lot of insecurities and I wonder if it makes her feel superiour to put other people down. YOu dont say that your like this, just jeoulous of other peoples good fortunes. YOu know what... I think it's ok, maybe it just means you are striving to do better with your life but havent quite made it yet...I'm sure you will...
Not sure if this has been any help at all....
A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User
Re: Wanting everyone to do worse than me

I'm sometimes the same way and i feel a nasty person for doing it too. When someone has had things that don't turn out well i sort of think ''I'm not the only one!''

Closed Thread