It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

ljr1220 HB User
Major Depressive Disorder

My husband was recently diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. He was hospilatized and started on low does of antidepressant and anti anxiety medication. He came home and was going to start a partial hospitalization program but he ended up back in the ER, because he cut himself. The Doctors left him the antidepressant and anti anxiety medication but also added an anti-psychotic. With in the last two weeks he has degernerated from depressed and cognitive about his situation to depressed with psychotic delusions. A vacation fill in doctor is not on the case and he has increased the dosages of the medications.

My question -- How can someone deteriorate so quickly for being depressed and cognitive to being depressed and delusional?

Thank you, Lisa

Old 10-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User
Re: Major Depressive Disorder

I would certainly ask for a full battery of tests including a head MRI. Maybe have a Neurologist consult somehow. Tumors growing in the right place can give symptoms close to schizophrenia and such. I think you have to rule out physical medical conditions before looking to the mental. Especially with this quick of a turn.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

The meds could be the culprit. Swift changes like that suggest a serious reaction to the drugs. Ask your doc about the possibility.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
(female)

Miss_Chris428 HB User

I have major depressive disorder and have been hospitalized several times, along with being institutionalized once. There are times when the depression gets much worse, but I just make extra appointments to see my shrink and my therapist to monitor it. I am always cogniscent of it and have even started to realize the onsets, thus making the extra appointments, or driving myself to the ER when I feel like hurting myself. I have never once been delusional and don't understand why an anti-psychotic would have been added.

I agree with the previous poster that suggested you go in for a full battery of tests and a full evaluation. I think, sometimes, that doctors get so busy that they just try to label us, without really trying to figure out what's really going on. My evaluation took about 4 hours and I spoke to a doctor, a therapist, a social worker, and took several tests. Anything short of that, I think your hubby isn't getting the best possible treatment. Also, keep in mind that it can take months, or even years, to find the right combinations of medicines and even the right dosages.

Closed Thread