It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
(male)

kjarels HB User
Would drinking a glass of wine at night hurt if you are taking lexapro?

I also take Klonipin as well for sleep. Doctors say a glass of wine will improve your HDL so I was thinking of doing that. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Would drinking a glass of wine at night hurt if you are taking lexapro?

Well, I always say antidepressants and alcohol don't mix. Others on this board, however, may disagree. Alcohol is a depressant and can cancel out the antidepressants and prevent them from working as well as they could be. I've mixed the two in the past and the result wasn't pretty. I became suicidal. Alcohol also has sedative effects, so because the Klonopin is also sedative, I wouldn't mix the two. If you want to lower your cholesterol, there are other ways. A good diet and plenty of exercise can do wonders for your overall health. Flaxseed is also helpful in lowering cholesterol.

Last edited by kittywitty; 10-05-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

I'm not familiar with those particular meds, but they should be labeled if you're not supposed to drink alcohol with them. You can also check the package insert, or call a pharmacist if they didn't give it to you.

BUT, and this a big but... even if it's not contraindicated, you should never take alchohol at the same time as these kinds of medicines, or even Tylenol. It puts too much of a load on your liver at one time. I used to take all my pills at bedtime (antidepressants, motrin), shortly after drinking just one glass of wine. It was enough to elevate my liver enzymes. It took three more tests over several months to get a normal liver panel.

The positive health effect of alcohol is minimal, especially compared to the risks of taking it with other meds.

I don't even take vitamins at night anymore. I try to space everything out during the day as much as I can.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Klonopin and alcohol should not be taken together. Both are central nervous system depressants. Alcohol is not a good idea with depression.

Closed Thread