It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
(male)

REDD998 HB User
Anyone prefer Prozac over Zoloft??

Over 12 year's ago I was prescribed Prozac but only stayed on it for a month so I really didn't give it a chance.Around 2003 I was prescribed Zoloft and fior 2 month's it worked pretty good for Anxiety and deppression.The problem was that increasing the dosage of Zoloft made me way worse and way more Anxious.Also I have been on and off of Zoloft and expierenced terrible side affects about 3 year's ago.I think I suffer from SAD but I also have severe Anxiety.I heard Zoloft and Prozac were similar with prozac being a bit stronger and much easier to stop taking abruptly.I have tried Celexa,Lexapro and they did exactly nothing for me.Just wondering has Prozac ever worked for Anxiety for anyone here

Last edited by REDD998; 10-06-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
(male)

james0906 HB User
Re: Anyone prefer Prozac over Zoloft??

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD998 View Post
Over 12 year's ago I was prescribed Prozac but only stayed on it for a month so I really didn't give it a chance.Around 2003 I was prescribed Zoloft and fior 2 month's it worked pretty good for Anxiety and deppression.The problem was that increasing the dosage of Zoloft made me way worse and way more Anxious.Also I have been on and off of Zoloft and expierenced terrible side affects about 3 year's ago.I think I suffer from SAD but I also have severe Anxiety.I heard Zoloft and Prozac were similar with prozac being a bit stronger and much easier to stop taking abruptly.I have tried Celexa,Lexapro and they did exactly nothing for me.Just wondering has Prozac ever worked for Anxiety for anyone here
I definitely prefer the Prozac over Zoloft. Zoloft mad me sick to my stomach. I couldn't eat until early afternoon everyday and I had strange sensations in my head and mouth. It made my tongue feel really wierd. This was a few years back. It was so bad that I gave up on meds until recently. I had gotten to the point that I felt the risk of side effects was not nearly as crippling as the depression. Luckily the Prozac helped with the depression some with the only side effect being that sex is not as much fun for me. I just added Wellbutrin to the mix last week and it is already making a difference. I am starting to feel like I used to when I had good times. It is supposed to help with the sexual side effects as well. Zoloft may be for you but it was bad for me.

Last edited by james0906; 10-06-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
(male)

james0906 HB User

Quote:
I just realized that I did not answer the anxiety question. I am taking the Prozac for depression not anxiety. The Wellbutrin can cause anxiety so probably would not be for you. Hope the previous reply at least answered the question of my preference of Prozac over Zoloft, and as to why.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
(male)

REDD998 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0906 View Post
I just realized that I did not answer the anxiety question. I am taking the Prozac for depression not anxiety. The Wellbutrin can cause anxiety so probably would not be for you. Hope the previous reply at least answered the question of my preference of Prozac over Zoloft, and as to why.
No I would never go back on the Zoloft again because of its serious side affects after stopping it.Prozac on the other hand last like 30 days in the body which is why people don't complain about stopping the Prozac abruptly.I do remember the Prozac at 60 Mg's working on my Anxiety.I just didn't give it much more time.It was a long time ago and I still don't remember why I stopped taking it.Oh,one of the problems im concerned about is lack of Energy when the weather gets cold.I become very lazy and unmotivated.I may make an appointment to see my Doctor about the Prozac for this SAD.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
(male)

james0906 HB User

Quote:
No I would never go back on the Zoloft again because of its serious side affects after stopping it.Prozac on the other hand last like 30 days in the body which is why people don't complain about stopping the Prozac abruptly.I do remember the Prozac at 60 Mg's working on my Anxiety.I just didn't give it much more time.It was a long time ago and I still don't remember why I stopped taking it.Oh,one of the problems im concerned about is lack of Energy when the weather gets cold.I become very lazy and unmotivated.I may make an appointment to see my Doctor about the Prozac for this SAD.
You might want to aske about the Wellbutrin. I am not sure about the anxiety. I have just heard that it can cause problems. The Wellbutrin has made the biggest difference with the depression and I have only been taking it for 5 days.

Good Luck! Hope you find what works for you.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
(female)

Miss_Chris428 HB User

I take a low dosage of Prozac (40mg) especially for anxiety and it has worked wonders. It wasn't affective by itself, though, because I also suffer from depression, so my doc put me on 300mg of Wellbutrin and I have not noticed any increase in anxiety. I still carry my Klonopin around with me, but I rarely have to take it. It's just nice to have it in case an anxiety attack starts to come on.

I took zoloft many years ago and agree with one of the other posters. It made me sick to my stomach and had a lot of bad side effects, so I didn't stay on it very long. Maybe three or four months.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
(male)

REDD998 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Chris428 View Post
I take a low dosage of Prozac (40mg) especially for anxiety and it has worked wonders. It wasn't affective by itself, though, because I also suffer from depression, so my doc put me on 300mg of Wellbutrin and I have not noticed any increase in anxiety. I still carry my Klonopin around with me, but I rarely have to take it. It's just nice to have it in case an anxiety attack starts to come on.

I took zoloft many years ago and agree with one of the other posters. It made me sick to my stomach and had a lot of bad side effects, so I didn't stay on it very long. Maybe three or four months.
I didn't respond well to well butrin because it felt like it was too activating for me.Every year for the past 3 year's when the weather starts getting below 70 degree's I feel so tired and terribly exhausted.I know this is a sign of SAD.I have tried to offset this with Exercise but when I wake up in the morning I feel extremely fatigued.Im not worried about Anxiety as I have other prescribed medicine to deal with that.For some reason Klonopin never worked for me.The Doctor will.probably start me out on the 20 Mg dose and hopefully thats all I need.Im going to give it a couple of day's with exercise and good diet and see if that can work.

Closed Thread