It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
(female)

jane milne HB User
lamactel

Is there any long term problems caused by taking lamactel, and what are the side effects

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User
Re: lamactel

Lamictal is supposed to have fewer side effects than older drugs in the same class like Tegretol, Depakote...Vision problems could arise because Lamictal binds to melanin found in the eyes and skin. Whether toxicity becomes a problem...the jury is still out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

I suggest that you do some research onthe web as there is some really useful stuff there. Lamictal can (rarely) cause horrific skin rash, like a burn and can cause perminate scarringa nd can even be life threatening. If you take it you need to notifiy your doctor immidiatly if you develope a rash and cease treatment. the highest risk is in the first 6-8 weeks. Tha tsaid, remeember its rare.
It can also cause seizures, ironic considering it was developed as an anti epileptic drug!! Again rare.
It may have someside effects by when they are compared to similar drugs they are pretty reasonable. Lithuim will cause fluid retention and weight gain in alsmost every patient. Lamictal wont. Apparently it's easier to get off aswell.

I take lamictal as a mood stabliser. I'm on a relatively low dose and havent had any side effects. It's hard to tell as I have only been taking it for a few months but I think it has helped. I did get a few hand tremors for a couple of weeks but the were minor and passed eventually.

Good luck
J

Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

A serious side effect is tics and other involuntary movements. I don't know how frequent it is, however.

Closed Thread