It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
(female)

Cee89 HB User
Me and my mum.

Hi there,

I'm pretty possitive that I have depression I just want to know what you all done and if anyone can relate to my story.
I'm 18 and I've lost all intrest in friends and all the things I've ever enjoyed, the only thing I want to do is stay in with my mum, things are so much worse at night time and I used to enjoy night but now if I go out I come home feeling worse than ever. All I ever want to do is sit in with my mum watching television, doing anything else leaves me crying myself to sleep, getting severly paranoid and just wanting to die. I'm in university at the moment but when I think of my future I think of being alone and unhappy. I feel rather pathetic because im 18 and i'm not supposed to feel this way.

Please help, all advice is welcome.
Thanx for your time,

C.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
(female)

esther53 HB User
Re: Me and my mum.

You can rest assured that I feel the EXACT same way. I am also 18 and off at college and feeling more depressed than ever. My friends wonder what's wrong with me and i have no answer. I told them that it's just impossible for me to care about anything. I have no enthusiasm anymore. I know just the feeling when you said that you would rather stay at home with your mom. It's safe and your emotions aren't at risk. I never went out with friends (especially last year) because of the same reason. I felt like I should be out, experiencing youth, but being around people just exhausted me...and it still does. I feel emotionally drained when i come home and am by myself. I go to bed depressed and then wake up that way. I wonder how we could be so young and yet feel so hopeless. It's hard to think you have a promising future when you already feel this way, you know? I wish i could give you advice...but frankly, i have the same problem. I nearly cried when i read your post because I could have written it myself. Even though I can't give you advice, I hope I can at least help (the way you inadvertently helped me) just by relating and letting you know that other 18 year olds feel the same.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
(male)

pjs009 HB User

Cee-
I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time right now, it doesn't sound as though life is at it's easiest for you. Don't feel pathetic though, just the fact that you came on this board and are looking to see what to do about it shows that you do care and love yourself, and you should. And esther, you just mentioning about waking up in the morning and feeling that way first thing .. wow ... I have felt that exact same way.

My advice would be this; first see your doctor to make sure there is nothing physically wrong - many illnesses can have mental effects such as these. At that same time I would make an appointment with a therapist. I'm not sure if you've seen a therapist before, but it's amazing how light and airy you might feel after one session. If after that things still are not where they should be, then try to see a psychiatrist to talk about medications options, because depression is an illness just like any other if you ask me. So there's not point not doing anything if there's a cure sitting right there right?

Most important, force yourself to make that appointment with the therapist ... sometimes making the first move is the hardest thing. I'm in my 20's now, and glad that I didn't wait too long to get it figured out, and those 3 options above solved the problem.

I hope that helped, let me know how it goes!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
(female)

Cee89 HB User

Thank you for your replies.

It really does make a difference to know that someone somewhere my age feels the same, it lessons the paranoia. I've mainly just heard of people in their 30's upwards suffering from depression and when all the people my age just seem to be having fun and being young well, it makes you feel worse.

I've thought about going to the doctor, I'm just a little scared of being put on meds but nothing can be worse than this! Thank you for your advice I'm going to give it a shot, therapy.

Thank you,
C.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

I agree that you should make appointments with your docotr and a therapist. It will help one way or another. I think a lot of older people look bakc on their teens and early 20's and can recognised, with hindsight, symptoms of depression and most wish they had had the ability to recognise it then and to have gotten treatment. YOu should be very proud of yourself for identifying how you feel, for being honest with yourself about your emotions and for reaching out for help and to try to understand. That is mature and strong...

I dont think you should feel pathetic or down on yourself in anyway becouse you are suffering depression. Many many 18 year olds do. Remember there are huge changes and challenges happening in your life at this stage. You have finished school and started uni. You are makiing the transition from being a school girl to an independent young adult, that is hard. Most 18 year old burn the candle at both ends, wrok, study, party etc...it is exhausting and tired minds and body's react. Your body is still going through puberty changes (we forget that it takes several years...we notice the start of puberty but when does it actually end?????)

My point is that you are facing some major hurdles at this stage in your life even if you dont realise it. Be forgiving to yourself for feeling the way you do, seek some treatment and know that you're NOT odd or weird or anything negative. You are normal....

Closed Thread