It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Depression and pain

Hi all, I have been on this board for 4 months with the same issues. Back at the end of May I found out my dad had end stage PC (he has now passed), pretty much immediatly I started to have a bad left sided pain.That has now subsided. About 2 wks after his dx I started to get pulsating/shooting body pains, mainly in my feet, toes, ankles, fingers spine-lasting a few seconds to hours. Also my feet would buzz on and off. A few wks after that, I noticed extreme joint cracking. Now for the past month I have non stop muscle twitches-still have the pains, joint cracking, and buzzing.

I have had an MRI wout contrast of head mid and lower spine (oh, also hurts where my bra strap hits on my spine-like a continued bruise), nerve testing, full body bone scan, lots of labs-all clear.

I have felt emtionally blah-of course down that I lost my dad and very stressed with these physical symptoms I have.

Could this all be from depression or is it a coincidence this came crashing down 2 wks after his dx? Not sure how this could all cause extreme joint cracking though....

Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: Depression and pain

Well, I think it could be related. Stress and grief can trigger a bout of clinical depression, and depression can cause a whole range of aches, pains and weird symptoms. My depression came on really heavy right after my dad died, and I ended up with lots of physical (REAL!) pain. Anti-depressants helped a lot, but it took me a while to find the right one.

I also noticed that I was holding my body differently when I was stressed out. I was tensing my shoulders and neck, and clenching my jaws without realizing it, and I ended up with frequent migraines. I went to a chiropractor which helped the migraines. Later on I found some walking and stretching exercises that really helped too. When I'm depressed or feeling blah, I usually get a lot less active. I got really weak and got a lot of back pain from just sitting or lying around.

Have you ever been evaluated by a physical therapist? When my PT does a certain stretch with my leg, it shoots a little nerve pain all the up to my neck. He said that the nerves in your body are all connected, and sometimes a little problem (e.g. a little kink,or something pressing on a nerve) can cause the nerves to get irritated. Not necessarily in the same place. Sometimes a repetitive activity (like constantly clicking on a computer mouse) can cause a nerve to get irritated. Also, any little disk compression in your spine can cause shooting pains down your legs and arms. They might not even see it in an x-ray.

I was having a problem with foot, knee and hip pain that made it hard to walk. It turned out that my knees were out of alignment, which can throw off your whole body from feet to back. One side is a little worse than the other. My PT came up with a more accurate diagnosis than the ortho doctor could figure out with all the x-rays. The treatments really helped a lot (for my back too). No drugs, just exercises to strengthen here, stretch there, improve my balance and posture, get the kinks out, and get me active again.

You might really benefit from something like yoga, both for the stretching and for the physical stress reduction.

Seeing a chiropractor might help too. Doctors are more likely to refer someone to a chiropractor if they've been to one themselves. PTs and Chiropractors seem to percieve themselves as being competitors, but a few are getting trained in both areas. I think that makes them much more effective.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks Lucy. I have just been feeling so helpless--like there is something really wrong and the doctors have not discovered it yet. I worry its brain or spine cancer, or MS. I wish my dr had done the MRI WITH contrast. I have had night sweats the past yr (not too bad, but hair is wet) before my dad got dx, and lately its been pretty bad.

So I wonder if anxiety/depression could cause the joints to crack to the extreme and full body muscle twithces.

I think after my next round of tests I may try the anti d/a I was prescribed....

I find it so hard to believe depression/stress can cause all of these pulsating pains in these same areas and the other stuff (cracking, twitching)!

I just feel so lost

Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

Depression can explain the pain, but the rest sounds like some muscular-skeleton issues. Before I got physical therapy for my alignment problem, my knees made loud crunchy noices, and my hip made a little clicking sound when I walked. I would try a physical therapist or chiropractor.

Are you in your 40's by any chance? I was reading about perimenopause and some people get some really odd symptoms. Night sweats are very common, and buzzing was mentioned in one of the books too. Apparently, most of the menopause sympoms occur long before our periods stop.

Last edited by lucylucy; 10-13-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Hi there, I went in for my c spine mri and the tech said he did not see anything aside from a bulging disc. I did read on an anxiety forum that anxiety/stress can cause buzzing, odd nerve pains and twitching---but I dont know how joint cracking would fit in. We are looking at my thryoid too

I am 33 and this all seemed to come on right after my dad was dx with pc, he has now passed away.

Thanks so much for your response....

Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

I have a bulging disk too. Physical Therapy is usually prescribed for that. They usually treat it with exercise and heat (when you're really in pain). They'll probably give you some fairly simple exercises, but you really should do them every single day.

When you're there, mention your other symptoms and the therapist may have some ideas. Note, they have to focus on one thing at a time (the condition on your prescription), but if they identify something else, you can ask the doctor for an updated prescription.

I learned a lot about exercise and the body from my PTs.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks so much, the disc does not bother me, I never knew I had it. The tech said that would not be the cause of these nerve type things going on (twitching, buzzing, etc). I should get the official report today..

Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

The bulging disk might not cause you pain until it gets worse, and then it might get really bad really fast. Ask your doctor what you can do to prevent it from getting worse.

Closed Thread