It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
(male)

confused808 HB User
Wife giving up..

Hi all.

It all started after our vacation overseas, during our flight back from the Pacific Islands, my wife has been quiet, withdrawn and somewhat sad upon leaving her parents and relatives. Once we arrived in the states, I took her to the doctor and they gave her Ambien for sleep since she was first complaining about lack of sleep. She got better after a week and then the problem showed up again. She was then put under 5150 (for hearing voices and hallucinating) and was given Ativan and Respirdal. For about 6 months, she was fine despite the fact that she turned into a zombie with no feelings or emotions, so the Doctor decided to let her get off Respirdal and Ativan. These her wonderful results...but just last week, after two weeks of great response, she climbed back to her sickness, she was complaining that she wasn't sleeping, confused and really ready to let go. Dr said, maybe its depression...but I am still not convinced because my wife is emotionless, confused, thinks she is crazy and really down. Is this depression?

Any Thoughts?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: Wife giving up..

"Emotionless, confused, thinks she is crazy and really down. Is this depression?"
Absolutely. Normal everyday depression might make people cry, but clinical depression is more likely to cause flat emotions, lack of concentration, feeling like you're moving through a fog, self-hatred, and a sense of total hopelessness. The hopelessness can lead to suicide attempts, even in people that pretend to be OK. That's all a part of depression. You should read up on it. The National Institute of Mental Health has some symptom lists and articles that might really help you to understand it. It's as much of a real disease as cancer.

The hallucinations are most likely due to something else ( psychosis or scizophrenia?) It could be that the psychosis is her primary problem, and the depression is secondary.

I think you should try to get her back on some medication. She really needs something. (Probably NOT Ambien, because some people get depression as a side effect, and it can trigger migraines and visual disturbances.)

Hospitals (and Psychiatrists) usually focus on medication, but they usually do a poor job with counseling. She might do a lot better with some counseling along with medication. Just understanding the disease, could help her understand what she's feeling and not feel so hopeless. She needs to know that there's a light at the end of tunnel. You need to know that too. This is really tough on family members. Don't hesitate to ask for some help or support for yourself too.

Last edited by lucylucy; 10-08-2008 at 01:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
(male)

confused808 HB User

Thank you for your insight. Yes, the Psychiatrist told her that she was diagnosed with Psychosis NOS - which the Dr said could be a good thing. She was really doing great for the past 6 months but she went back to her sickness after her withdrawal from risperdal. The Dr last week told her to take 3 weeks off and take citalophram (20 MG), risperdal (1 MG) and a sleeping pill (will get info later). but what really bother's me is that the parents told me that she had the same episode before and through herbal medicine and faith healers she was up and running in two months.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Hi. I think lucylucy has given wonderful advice and I am with her all the way.
I just wanted to show my support and just to comment that while her last episode of depression was treated with natural remedies and was over in two months, please remember that each episode is different. Each episode may have different triggers that have different effects. THere is nothing to loose by exploreing natural remedies again for your wife, just talk it through with the doctors who are treating her just to make sure there arent any clashes with medications (herbs etc can effect drug functions and vice versa...)
Take care
j

Old 10-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
(male)

confused808 HB User
Update: Wife giving up..

Per my last post about my wife giving up (we don't know if she has depression, another relapse of Psychosis NOS or even Anxiety). So far she is taking Respirdal (1MG back up to 2MG) and Restoril (Sleep) and Cetalophram (20 MG - but stopped last night).

Here's what I am observing from her:

1. Spaced Out - Blank Stare
2. It takes time for her to respond back when having her therapy session or even normal conversation.
3. She says, that her mind is blank and remains idle which leads her to space out.
4. She SMILES though and talks at certain moments as if nothing is wrong with her.
5. She can't get over what happened to her: a. past 5150 stint b. hallucination and c. on overall to what happened to her

What could this be? Please help

My last post:

Hi all.

It all started after our vacation overseas, during our flight back from the Pacific Islands, my wife has been quiet, withdrawn and somewhat sad upon leaving her parents and relatives. Once we arrived in the states, I took her to the doctor and they gave her Ambien for sleep since she was first complaining about lack of sleep. She got better after a week and then the problem showed up again. She was then put under 5150 (for hearing voices and hallucinating) and was given Ativan and Respirdal. For about 6 months, she was fine despite the fact that she turned into a zombie with no feelings or emotions, so the Doctor decided to let her get off Respirdal and Ativan. These her wonderful results...but just last week, after two weeks of great response, she climbed back to her sickness, she was complaining that she wasn't sleeping, confused and really ready to let go. Dr said, maybe its depression...but I am still not convinced because my wife is emotionless, confused, thinks she is crazy and really down. Is this depression?

Any Thoughts?

Last edited by confused808; 10-09-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: Update: Wife giving up..

It sounds like you're doing the right things, asking questions, bringing her to therapy, etc. Keep asking questions and learning, and take some notes about changes in her behavior following a change in medication. (Keep in mind that some meds don't kick in for a few weeks.) You might be able to figure out things that the doctors can't, just because you have more opportunity and incentive to really focus on her.

But don't forget to take care of yourself too. Add some therapy sessions for yourself, or find a group of other spouses. They'll understand more than anyone else could.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
(female)

LushStars HB User
Re: Update: Wife giving up..

I can't comment too much on your wifes situation but...she is very lucky to have you. I think many of us going through this just want someone we can depend on and will care for us. Good job. Good luck.

Closed Thread