It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Anyone Had Success With Lamictal, Got Bad Acne, Then Tried Again?

Hi everyone. Lamictal worked really well for me right away and then I got terrible acne on my face and had to go off it.

Anyone had the same problem or similiar and then tried again?

Thank you.

Salty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User
Re: Anyone Had Success With Lamictal, Got Bad Acne, Then Tried Again?

Hi salty
The lamictal skin rash is pretty infamous and might be worth researching. Are you sure the acne was due to the lamictal? My understanding is that the lamicatal rash is more like sunburn or in severe cases like chemical burn...I could be wrong I admit!
I take 50mg lamictal and 25 md zoloft (although I want to up that). I havent had any problems other that some hand tremors. But I do suffer from rosacia (adult acne) which I treat with high dose antibiotics. I dont think the lamictal has made it any worse but you have got me thinking......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jsfai, it was definitely from the lamictal...it wasn't the skin rash, but it was horrible acne...really bad...it was a medicine acne for sure.

Salty

Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

you poor thing. As if we, the one's needing lamictal, dont have enought to worry about....to add acne!
I hope you can sort it out...
J

Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I've taken Lamictal for almost a year now, I got a rash once after the first 3 weeks and had to stop, then they let me start again and have been fine. I'm on 300mg a day. I've not had any acne problems from it.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you jsfai, i appreciate you being so kind. I'm so tempted to try it again. Are you on it?

Salty

Old 10-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Hi Salty,
Yep I take lamictal 50mg and zoloft 25mg. I was diagnosed with post natal (partum) depression after the birth of our third baby but as my treatment goes on I think the reality is that I have suffered depression on and off for a while but it was exacerbated by the birth of each of our little ones and I fell in a heap after no. 3...
I started the zoloft first which was pretty good at first. I'm on a very low dose admittedly. But I was suffering from rapid cycling mood swings (I don't have bipolar apparently!) which seem to be associated with my menstrual cycle (hormonal? maybe but I wasn't happy adding hormones). We added lamictal to try to stabilize my swings. It has helped to a degree, I'm not sure that we have the dosage right yet but I am confident that we will get there. I also do cog. behavioral therapy.
I have heard that plenty of people have had to come off it for various reasons and then after a spell have started again. I actually asked my psychiatrist how it works to restart (I was nervous of taking it initially so I drilled him with questions...) He said that they restart very slowly with a small dose to start and building up with only low increments.
I think it's a good drug. Everyone is different but it has helped me and just knowing that it's there has given me more confidence in facing my demons you could say.
Good luck. I, personally would give it one more try but very slowly.
Why are you taking it?
J

Last edited by jsfai; 10-12-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsfai, i need to add something to the lexapro. When I first started the lamictal, it seemed to work except for the awful acne which I'm afraid i'll get again.

Did you start the with starter pack? How did you do it?

Thank you. You are very helpful.

Salty

Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

HI salty,
To be honest I cant quite remember how I started. It wasent a starter pack though. I started with taking a dose every second day for eight days and then increasing it to daily. I cant remember if I started with 25mg and graded it up or with my whole 50mg...

But what's lexapro like? I'm finding that zoloft and lamictal arent quite holding me steady and I was going increase my zoloft to 50mg. I have done that before but I had a terrible reaction and became really quite desperate . It was hard to tell if it was the drug or the fact that I was going through a major family crisis at the time...I'm wondering if I should change from zoloft to something else. Why are you taking them?

J

Last edited by jsfai; 10-13-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

HI Salty,
I thought you might be interested since you are on a journey to find the right medication for yourself. I spoke to my doctor today about feelingas though my meds werent keeping me stable enough and that my mood was fluctuating to much and unpredicatble.
He has recommended that I up my Lamictal to 100mg and if tolerated to drop my zoloft completely in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what his thinking is but I'll give it a try...
J

Old 10-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry i haven't written jsfai...i'm in the i give up mode for now...been dealing with gyn. problems and just having a hard time dealing with both. lexapro was great when it worked really well. i'm still on it..afraid to go off of it. i've been thinking about that new ad called pristiq, but am so tired of thinking, reading, reseaching and going to the drs. guess i'm just dealing with my gyn-related problems for right now. i'm taking the lexapro for depression.

Salty

Old 10-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jsfai, i really hope it works for you...i'm giving up for awhile. i'll get back to posting, i just got so tired of not getting anywhere and my gyn problems are really getting to me. i'm having dental problems as well...just overwhelming right now.

i really hope your dr's right. i want you to be well.

Salty

Old 10-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Hi Salty,
I've been away for a couple of days. Dont give up posting, it's good for you and as I've said it's good for us all...for lots of reasons - we learn from each other and we are not alone with our worries.
I hope you are back on line and feelinga little more upbeat very soon. Let me know when you are. Thank you for your good wishes...I send them back to you.
I understand about the 'i give ups' and the 'overwhelmed' sentiments. I think we (depression and all illness sufferers) all go through them but that is often when we need support the most. Dont give up and just focus on one thing at a time. BReak it down to parts and tackle each one separatly. You can do it, you know you can you just have to manipulate your thinking a little (I know - easier said than done)
Maybe I'll start a new thread asking others for how they break the 'I give up' cycle....
I upped my Lamictal four days ago (three doses) and so far I am feeling much much better. I can see recovery IS possible again. But again I have been away for a couple of days so its hard to know if it's the medication or the breaking of the monotonous cycle of exhaustion.
If it is OK to leave your other health problems for a moment try to get your depression under control first...the others will be easier to manage then.
Take care and sending you hugs.
J

Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

J, you are just the most kind person. I had a bad day at radiology today...I thought my fibroid was the reason i am bleeding from the cervix and it's not and i feel very alone. I won't know more until next Wed. when I see my gyn.

I know you are right about everything you wrote...things just seem so overwhelming sometimes. I always thought I'd have someone--be married, have children and it just looks like none of that is going to happen.

I get so mad at this darn depression...i know i can't give up--i've just had it right now.

I have to turn to God more.

I have dental problems i have to deal with and i guess i'll have to do that and try not to think about the cervix issue right now.

I don't know, i guess i'm just feeling sorry for myself.

I hope so hard that you continue to feel better. I'll pray that you do.

Thank you for your kindness. I really do appreciate you being there.

Salty

Last edited by Administrator; 10-24-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Hi Salty,
I'm upset for you that you felt so lost and lonely after being at radiology. It's so good to get clear answers for our problems (physical and psychological!) but conversly it can be so overwhelming and confusing when we dont get the answers and explanations. NOthing is clear cut - so damn frustrating.
BUt one way of looking at it is that at least your fibroid is OK and stable...a positive!!!! Maybe your depression is related to your gyn. problem. Gyn problems tend to involve lots of hormones one way or another. I think you should bring it up with your gyn when you see him/her...maybe they might be able to shed some light on your feelings, nothing to loose!
I'm sorry you feel as though you havent met your soul mate. But the world hasent ended yet so there is still time...always time until your 100 (Ok maybe 98!! LOL). I know by expereince that you have to get yourself into a good mind set before you can meet anyone...and you have to stop beating yourself up about it. It's OK to have regrets but dont let them effect your future.
As I type this, I am trying to take my own advice! I am looking for an clearcut explanation for my depression, but I know it doesnt exsist. At the moment I am in a good place but that could change next week or even tomorrow. I now worry about my mood swings...go figure. I fnkd the depression so frustrating and I get angry too. I jsut want a break from the ups and downs.

Sending you more hugs
J

Closed Thread