It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
(male)

Ztrain1985 HB User
Question Looking for some Answers

I deleted what I originally had here, because it was simply getting to long and I didnt know how to word what I was saying. Insted, Ill ask a few questions which I think will help me get the answers im looking for.

Anhedonia... what is it actually, and not the medical definition. I understand that its a lack of pleasure, but what is it like to actually live like that? I ask because I think ive suffered this from birth, despite only being a symptom of depression and not an actual condition. I feel no interest in doing things. Very rarely do I actually want to hang out with friends (its always been like this). I get no enjoyment out of games or winning or being recognized for something I did. When I think of family or food or anything, its nothing but a memory. Nothing brings me job. I also am not sure if Ive ever truely loved, because it never feels different. I never have anticipation (just nervousness) when going out on a first date. With a steady GF, its always the same bland feeling. I have no interest in sex, but I do engage in it, I think out of instinct rather then choice.

I just hear people say they enjoy something, or have a passion for something, and Ive never had such a thing. Maybe im just lazy or a slacker, but I find it hard to believe that I could become an Eagle Scout, graduate from a college engineering program, etc as a slacker.

Ive also always had a fascination with death. Mostly my own, however not particullary suicide. More of the heroic laying my life down kinda fantasy where I die for the cause. Im not sure if this meets the requirement for depression either. Im not suicidal, although there was a time when I was really down in college and the thoughts were often there about it.

Like its really wierd. I still cry when I see something touching on TV, I can laugh at a joke or someone being stupid, but they are fleeting feelings. If I understand happyness correctly, its supposed to last longer then the joke. I guess "content" is the word im looking for. I never feel content with anything.

Yet again, I have a GF, Friends, a nice family, and a well paying job, and no one seems to notice anything wrong, so maybe what Im feeling is normal? i just really dont know, but as far back as I can remember, Ive always felt like something was wrong. I remember riding the bus, thinking to myself "if I dont feel love (or even attraction to anyone" by the time Im 18, Im going to get medical help". I never did, and I never did get help. Like I will look at a women and see a beautiful figure and stare like any other man, but it ends there. I have no fantasies about her, no longing for her. I guess I have had my fair share of crushes tho, so I dont know that means.

I apolagize for the long post, but Im out places too look for an anwer and I dont want to waste a doctors time if this is just how life is and Im not able to handle it. I just do not feel normal, and I really hope thats its me and that life isnt like the way I percieve it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread