It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

aleyadventure HB User
whey protein

has anyone tried taking whey protein for depression? I read that it increases serotonin and helps with mild depression. any personal experiences with this? I already work out regularly so im sure it would be beneficial for building lean muscle but just wanted to see how effective it is for depression. thanks

Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Re: whey protein

Hi, I am taking Lexapro for depression/Anxiety, and Klopolin, and yes I believe Protein plays a big factor in depression.

I have started eating more protein, and think It is helping.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
(male)

REDD998 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyadventure View Post
has anyone tried taking whey protein for depression? I read that it increases serotonin and helps with mild depression. any personal experiences with this? I already work out regularly so im sure it would be beneficial for building lean muscle but just wanted to see how effective it is for depression. thanks
Yeah I take whey protein but in order for it to work I have to work out.Whey protein and building lean muscle is probably better then any Antidepressant.My problem is staying motivated to work out especially when the weather starts to get cold.I also take 4 or 5 Omega 3 fish oil's.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Add protein in moderation....My BUN level got too high. This affects the kidneys.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
(female)

aleyadventure HB User

thanks for the info. i bought some whey protein and had some. it definitely gave me a little boost during my workout and i felt great (might be a mental thing tho haha) ill keep everyone updated.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

Please let us know if it helps

Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

aleyadventure HB User

well ive taken the whey for three days now... and i will mention that i just got off lexapro so i was having some withdrawal symptoms (head buzzing, anxiety, etc) seems like that the protein gives me an instant boost of energy and i feel great a couple of hours right after i drink it. the headaches come back in the evening when it wears off... anxiety is decreasing tho. i do like the protein and the energy it gives me which in turns makes me want to work out more.... which makes me less depressed so i guess it has been working in an indirect way... although my stomach hasnt liked it very much at all if u know what i mean
im sure its too soon to tell but the glass is half full so im hoping haha

Closed Thread