It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
(male)

Sonny76 HB User
Useless at 54

I retired from a large company with 30 years this past May. Senority no longer mattered and I watched 20 year olds coming in and moving right up the ladder past me. My job was outsourced and I was put into a pool. I was told that after 6 months in the pool I would be let go if another department did not hire me. Since I had enough years, I retired.
During the past 30 years I have kept current two teaching certificates and had dreams of returning to teaching grade school. I had one interview but nothing. A girl was hired for this position. I asked for a meeting with the principal to find out exactly what I could do to improve myself. No response. I sent a letter offering to volunteer at the school for free but received no response.

I am 54 years old, male, and have a foster baby I raise. I have had background checks and fingerprinting. I have no idea why I can not get in to volunteer anywhere. I am a strong Catholic and can not even get inside a Catholic School. I sit home during the day and sleep alot because it seems nobody wants anything to do with me now. I told a priest about this and how badly I wanted to make a difference in teaching. All he said was "I know!" "We all do not get what we want." I am willing to work for free. What is wrong? I scored 95 percent on a recert test to keep my certifications up.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
(female)

bluedog139 HB User
Re: Useless at 54

Have you looked into subitiute teaching? At least that would get your foot in the door in several districts. It would also give you the freedom to take days off if you needed to take care of your kid. You might even look into being a permant sub if you find a place that you like.

Don't give up after only one interview. It took me 2 years and 32 interview to get a job when I graduated form college. I subed for a year while looking.

Hope that helps. Keep fighting for what you want to do and you will get there.

~blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
(male)

Sonny76 HB User
Re: Useless at 54

I really feel that I can offer some school alot of background and knowledge. At 54, I do not have another 30 years and would like to get at least a good 10 years in and make a difference somewhere. I would love to bring some extra knowledge to a class. For example, I have always been big on reading and Orthography. Orthography is where you can break apart new words for meaning such as the word "perimeter." Peri means around and meter means to measure. Perimeter means to measure around. Knowledge of word parts can help a student with new words as well. I used it with my own kids. Our public district here is in trouble with low testing scores. I am amazed at the lack of basic skills such as counting back change. One girl in a store gave me $7.35 back from a $10 for a $5.60 sandwich. Since the store was empty at the time, I told her that she was not correct and she protested that the cash register said she was. I taught her how to count back change and she said nobody ever taught her how to do that. Yes, I went to a corporation after college because back then I had a family to support but I always dreamed of returning to teaching. Districts wonder what they can do to get quality teachers who care. I am available and love helping kids learn.

Closed Thread