It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

emmaspaws HB User
Re: Nexium and Anxiety / Depression

I realize that this was an old post, but I was hoping to get some help. My mom was suffering with stomach ulcer pains and was taking all sorts of stomach meds including Nexium. Last October, she was so anxious, she had to stop working and it took over her life. She then was put on Xanax (still taking the Nexium) and her doctor prescribed too much. She was put into a mental hospital and misdiagnosed with Schizophrenia!!!!! They gave her all kinds of mind altering drugs and the next thing we know...a year has gone by. The story is much longer than that, but she is now only taking Xanax and Exelon (Alzheimers med) and has been classified as an Alzheimers patient. The more I read, the more I think she has a B-12 deficiency. Could this be what has caused her problems for the past year!??? Anyone hear of this or experienced this in their life? Nothing is helping her anxiety and we just don't know what to do!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Emmaspaws,

I am sorry that sounds like you have both been having a tough time, I really hope things get better for your both in the future.

Has your mum had a brain scan? CT or MRI? that would confirm if she really does have alzheimers - there is no mistaking the changes that occur in the brain when seen on an MRI - have you discussed with her dr what you think about the B12 supp? it can't hurt to run it by them - has she (and you) received any psychological support - not the mental hosp she went to - she probably wouldnt trust them and with just cause from what you said - but there are psychologists out there who can help with anxiety - give you techniques for copeing - one that I was taught sounds dumb but works for a lot of people and that's to say twelve things that you can see and their colours whilst taking a breath each time - so that would be- 1 take a breath (say something you see and its colour) blue folder, 2 red box, 3 grey cat taking a breath each time - it's worth a try - I hope you find some answers soon and that things get better for you and your mum - take care MBC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Anxiety is a common early symptom of Alzheimer's but if you doubt the diagnosis (and who wouldn't with all you've been put through!), like MBC said, get a second opinion with a MRI to confirm.

There is a simple blood test for B-12 deficiency, your family doctor can order it, your mom should get it as soon as possible.

Does she have numbness or pins and needles in her hands or feet? She could have a disorder called pernicious anemia. If that is the problem it can be quickly reversed with B-12 shots.

Here's an info page on pernicious anemia: [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/article/000569.htm[/url]

Closed Thread