It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

lonelymom HB User
Question My Story - Need Wisdom

I've suffered from depression since I was a teen but not diagnosed until I was 30. In the past few year I was switched from Effexor to Effexor XR and then Cymbalta. I was hospitalized when I hit bottom coming off of the Effexor XR. I did see some improvement with Cymbalta (150mg-highest dosage) but have never felt like I ever reached a normal. My moods are constantly up and down. My medical doctor suggested that I speak to my psychiatrist about testing me or looking into bi-polar. I trust my medical doctor whole heartedly but I do not trust my psychiatrist. I am aware of two incidences in which he made a prescription error and shrugged them off - both using my name with another patient. It does not give me much confidence in switching meds again. I also have some other complications happening. I lost my job in May. My unemployment insurance will soon run out in November. I'm stressed about getting a job, switching meds, ending up in the hospital, and then losing a job again. If I don't get a job and my unemployment runs out we will not have sufficient funds to pay all our bills and my husband is already working 55 hours per week. I'm not sure what I should do. I'm tempted to go to the University of Iowa Clinics or the Mayo Clinic but I'm not sure if we could afford it. I feel pulled in so many different directions that it would be easier to stay in bed. Anyone out there also not trust their psychiatrist? What did you do? What do you think my priorities should be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: My Story - Need Wisdom

Hi,

My heart with you, it seems that all the people in the world are suffering in a way or another. I live in Egypt and my life is a complete failure so far, anyway, I think that your first priority is to get better. You have to find a way to get better if you want be able to work hard and pay the bills.

I have tried Effexor XR for 6 weeks and it was so bad, I didn't try anything else yet. I think that the biggest problem we all face, as humans, is to lose faith and purpose.
I wish I can help you but I can't advice you regarding medications, hope someone else will.
Good luck,
Michael

Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
(female)

lonelymom HB User

Dear Egypt,
Thank you for your response. I worked 10 years in religious settings and they failed me. That makes it even harder to keep the faith. Since I have no faith in my psychiatrist, I decided to have a consulting time with my medical doctor to see what he recommends. It is frustrating that it takes so long to find the right medications that work for you. Your reply lets me know that there are others like me. May you soon be blessed with peace within yourself.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi,

My name is Michael, you know if we lose faith we lose everything. I have been depressed since I was a little kid, few years ago I became Anxious and OCD too. I will try another med, probably Prozac and see what would happen. I have been told by many that it's a good medication.

One way to really get better is to look at others, for example take me as an example: I have a dislocated shoulder and a tear in my knee cartilage. I have no health insurrance and those surgeries will cost me a lot of money, I don't even have 10% of that amount of money. Also I don't have a job neither do I have money.

Anyway, I try to think that the future will be better .
Good luck,
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 10-24-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Closed Thread