It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User
to friends who have had side effects from wellbutrin and...

Hey everyone I have a question for the people who have been on or are on wellbutrin but had to add something with it BECAUSE OF SIDE EFFECTS. When I took it it made me irritable and snappy, increased my headaches and made me not want to eat. So.... I need something that helps with headaches, but will maybe increase my appetite and control my aggitation. Now I know I'm asking alot from these meds but if anyone here has had this same problem please reply and tell me what you did for it. Thank you so much for your time!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Re: to friends who have had side effects from wellbutrin and...

For the first week on the generic brand of wellbutrin, I was also very snappy and b*tchy. It got better for me and I feel great now. No more needless crying spells. Never got a headache and while my appetite didn't decrease much I did lose 9 lbs and I've only been on it a month. Granted the weight loss could also be stress related - have a lot going on with a sick parent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
(male)

james0906 HB User

I have experienced loss of appetite. I also get heartburn if I do not eat something with each dose. I needed to lose my appetite anyway.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

For the agitation I take Ativan along with the Wellbutrin. My Rx says to take it up to three times a day, but I usually only take it at night. It helps me to fall asleep.

The agitation (and the high mood) was more pronounced when I took W during the day. Now I take it at night, and I feel more steady during the day. Most days I don't even notice any feelings of agitation except when I'm driving. I like to keep good music or books on tape in my car to prevent road rage and help me "go with the flow". (That's a phrase I sometimes have to repeat to myself over and over again.)

The agitation doesn't last too long if you don't let it. Remind yourself that it's just a temporary reaction and it will go away soon. Don't let yourself dwell on negative feelings, or you'll make it last longer. And don't allow yourself to lash out at other people. It's not their fault either. The best way I deal with the agitation is to keep myself distracted with some easy task that keeps me away from other people. I watch a comedy show, put on some upbeat music and do laundry if I'm at home. If I'm around other people, I find an excuse to take a short walk, or stick with people who can always make me laugh. If I have to explain my grouchy behavior or demeanor, I usually apologize and say I have a splitting headache that's making me very cranky.

I sometimes get migraines, but I don't think it's related to the Wellbutrin (for me). My main triggers for headache are lack of sleep and neck strain. Ibuprofen helps the headache but I try not to take it at the same time as the Wellbutrin.

My appetite is too good if anything, but the Wellbutrin helps stop the cravings I used to get for sweet and fatty foods.

Last edited by lucylucy; 10-19-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Is everybody on the xl version? I've tried it, but always had to quit bacause of the irritability and anxiety. I could never give it more than a week at a time. I guess I should try sticking with it longer, since it seems everyone is saying the snappiness goes away. What about the anxiety?

Old 10-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Lucy, I would like to take my W at night but it is two times a day 150mg. It's not the long lasting one.

I had a question for you about ATivan. my mom takes .5mg three times a day. we are trying to get her to take it only at night. she takes it because she has uncontrollable crying at least 3 or 4 times a day. She didn't take it this afternoon and seemed to do fine. how much do you take at night?

I do sometimes still feel anxious but I've got a lot going on with my mom. If i wasn't on it, i'd be nuts.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

Well it seems alot of you have had some of the same symptoms but I haven't read where anyone has added anything to make these better except the ativan for sleep. mmmmm what to do????

Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucy takes the ativan to reduce anxiety...just takes it at night because in some people it makes you sleepy. she also takes the wellbutrin at night to decrease anxiety.

For my first checkup after starting wellbutrin, my doc asked me if I wanted something to take when anxiety is worse. I told him no. I don't want to take too much. The wellbutrin does not make me lose my appetite. I don't take the xl version though. I take the generic too. I've read on these boards that some people cannot tolerate the generic version because of side effects. I don't experience any now.

My mother is diabetic besides a multitude of other issues. She has to eat even if she isn't hungry. Guess that would be my suggestion - just eat enough to not lose weight.

Closed Thread