It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Has Anyone Ever Heard of Going Off Your AD for a Month & It Works Again?

I'm sorry, I just had to see if anyone has heard of this or if it's happened to any of you...

I just read about someone who says that his AD stops working usually after 9-12 months (it happens to be lexapro), he then switches ADs for a month and then he goes back to lexapro and it works perfectly for him.

Comments anybody???

Thank you so much.

Salty

Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
(female)

ljenner831 HB User
Re: Has Anyone Ever Heard of Going Off Your AD for a Month & It Works Again?

Wow! I would think that can't be good at all! I have taken Lexapro for 6 years and it never stopped working. I think everyone has a different experience. BUt going on and off would cause issues withdrawal and side effects, I would guess?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ljenner, i don't know WHAT to think...I couldn't believe what I was reading because that is my problem...my lexapro stopped working and i just never heard of anything like this.

He says he takes 1/2 his current dose and adds a small amount of the new AD for the first 5 days, then discontinues lexapro. He did this last time with cymbalta and stayed on that for 2 months before returning to lexapro.

I'm just speechless.

By the way, you have no idea how great it is that your lexapro is still working for you. I wish to God is was for me. I'm happy for you. Hope it continues.

Want to hear what others think about this.

Thanks for posting.

Salty

Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

Oh! Interesting. I didn't realize your friend starts/adds a new AD and then goes back to just Lexapro. I have never heard of that , but if he trusts and follows what his doc. says, I guess it's good it works for him.
Since Lexapro has stopped working for you, maybe your doc will just slowly switch you to a different SSRI?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
(male)

REDD998 HB User

It did work for me a few time's with Zoloft but I had to reduce the dosage but after about 2 year's it simply stopped working.I wouldn't ever take it again.To many side bad side affects.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
(male)

Bonds81 HB User

Prozac stopped working never to work again. Ask your doctor. I wonder how many doctors would approve that idea.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ljenner, i don't know this person, just read about him, but yep, that's what he does. If i ever get motivated enough to go back to the dr. (been there so many times recently without good results), i'm going to tell him about.

Thing is, you have to be on an SSRI that doesn't work that great or doesn't work at all to get back to what does. I don't know.

Thanks for writing.

Salty

Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry it stopped working for you REDD. Are you on any meds now?

Salty

Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know, Bonds. I couldn't believe it when i read it. I must admit it got my hopes up though because i want lexapro to work again so badly.

I always ask because i'm always searching. Are you on any meds for depression?

Thanks for writing.

Salty

Old 10-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

I just seen my dr this week and I take Effexor xr--he said that it is not uncommon for these types of meds to stop working. He said it dulls the body??? My guess is body gets used to it. I do not want to increase dose at all and do hope to be able to stop it one day.

Stopping and starting these types of meds seems risky to me. I would make sure dr knows what you are doing.

Best of luck

Old 10-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
(male)

REDD998 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofpain2 View Post
I just seen my dr this week and I take Effexor xr--he said that it is not uncommon for these types of meds to stop working. He said it dulls the body??? My guess is body gets used to it. I do not want to increase dose at all and do hope to be able to stop it one day.

Stopping and starting these types of meds seems risky to me. I would make sure dr knows what you are doing.

Best of luck
Starting and stopping certain AD's like Zoloft and Paxil can screw up the brain and cause severe anger,paranoi and all kind of side affects.If I ever have another depressive disorder Prozac would be the choice because its by far the easiest to come off of.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #12
(male)

james0906 HB User

I would be afraid of the withdrawal. I stopped Zoloft cold trukey once because of the side effects. The withdrawal symptoms were like the side effects to the 10th power. I should have came off of it slowly.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2, i'm not going to do it, i will just bring it up to my dr. I'm sure he'll think it's bizarre. I just had to post about it because of my longing for my lexapro to work as it once did.

I don't even want to think of the withdrawal from the lexapro...i've been on it a long time.

I'm at the highest dose. I know what you mean about not wanting to increase it.

Thank you for writing and i wish you lots of luck, too.

Salty

Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for posting, REDD. I heard that prozac is easiest to come off of. Have you ever been on it? If so, did you have weight gain...what were the side effects?

Salty

Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

James, thank you for posting. That's what i'm afraid of--the withdrawal, especially being on lexapro as long as i have. Are you on any meds now?

Salty

Closed Thread