It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

tcp307 HB User
Feeling dead

Ok, I've been sitting here reading different things for a while so thought I'd ask my question. I'm feeling very weird and zombie-ish and dead lately. I've been on 40 mg of Prozac for about two yrs. I had a point after I got my mg's right that I actually felt "good". For about the last 6 mo though, I'm kind of feeling like "whatever" to everything. I'm not happy or thrilled about anything, it's almost like I couldn't care less. I'm in a job I hate and don't care who knows it, including my boss. Sometimes I just sit and stare off into no-where like I'm completely outside of myself. I love sleep, only I constantly wake up at night. Then in the morning it's like I never went to sleep and I'm tired and run down all day. I have a wonderful husband and 2 great kids that ask me "what's wrong momma?" and I can't even say. I asked my husband yesterday if he noticed that my attitude is any different lately, and he said that I'm handling stress better than before I was on Prozac. Don't know if that answered the question or not, I'm thinking not. Talking about stress, I don't feel like I have a tolerance for it at all. I just won't put up with things that stress me. I tell people like it is, and I think I'm starting to make enemies at work. Don't really care. There isn't too much I do care about at this point, although I love my family. But when it comes to myself, I could fall off a building and smile on the way down....no clue. Oh, and I can't even cry anymore. Help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Feeling dead

The way you're feeling could quite possibly be due to the Prozac. Then again, depression can also cause some of the same type of symptoms. I know when I was on Prozac, though, I didn't care about anything. I also couldn't cry, not even at a dear friend's funeral. However, I didn't tell people off or anything while I was on it. I actually was quite the opposite: I put up with a lot of crap from people that I otherwise wouldn't have. It was for these reasons that I decided to go off it and I've never looked back. I was also taking 40mgs. I was on it for eight years. I take St. John's Wort now, and, although I find myself more sad at times, at least I have emotions now. Oh, one more thing, I also had sleep difficulty and the waking up in the middle of the night on Prozac. This is because the drug depletes melatonin. I found this out by doing a search on depletions and medications. Oddly, though, when I tried to supplement with melatonin, I ended up feeling depressed because of the interaction. Go figure.

Last edited by kittywitty; 10-30-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
(female)

Yamada1970 HB User

I was on Prozac 40mg for a year, after my cancer diagnosis made me extremely sad and miserable. I was having appointments at the psychotherapist's office and didn't even realize I had been depressed. Once I started Prozac, it took few weeks to see the difference. I became like a zombie too, but a non-depressed zombie and I liked the feeling. I didn't cry, I didn't snap at people, I think I became quite a nice person and felt no stress at all.
How wants/needs stress in their lives anyway? At least that type of stress which makes you unhappy and depressed and unstable.
I slept well on Prozac, I also lost extra weight and felt..happy? I'm not sure.. I felt numb, sometimes things felt so unreal that I didn't really feel anything. Still it was better than sitting at home crying, like I had often done before Prozac. Is Prozac the right thing to take then? Or be without it?
I stopped Prozac in May, under supervision of psychiatrist, and since then I've got few nice things in my life; my boyfriend, my horse- they both keep me busy and much happier. There are days when I feel miserable, wondering why those days have to be so bad and sometimes scary- then I realize I can actually FEEL something. Sometimes I can handle it well, sometimes not so well and then I try to find someone to talk to. Or go out for a walk just to distract myself.
I don't know if you like animals, but try horseback riding? Somehow animals can sense how we feel, many times better than another human being, and maybe this would bring you out of the zombie-state, even if it is just for an hour each day. Try going to the zoo, if caged animals don't make you more depressed.
Try your best not to argue with your colleagues- I did that too before Prozac and made more enemies than friends. Then when I needed help I realized i had no one to talk to and thought I'd have to give it a go, treat them as I would want them to treat me. It has been a slow process, but now I have more "friendly" people around me at work- they will never become best of friend but at least we get along. My mother used to say "You don't have to love your colleagues, but you have to like them".
What about changing jobs? Do you feel that is an option for you?

All the best to you, thank you for your post, it helps many people

Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
(female)

tcp307 HB User

Thanks for the insight. I'm actually contemplating going off this crap. Only scared of what I might become.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

skimmerrabbit HB User

I am a long-time severe depression and anxiety sufferer and I just found this message board. I am really hoping it will be helpful for me to learn and share experiences with others like me. I'm doing really good right now and I wanted to offer a couple of comments/questions for your situation.

(1) The feelings you describe SHOULD NOT be considered acceptable on any medication and you should call your doctor in the morning about it.

(2) I hope you aren't going to just stop taking the Prozac without first discussing with your doctor. I did that myself for years; determined on my own that I was done with one drug or another, felt better and didn't need them, or worse, didn't feel as good as I wanted to and just quit taking them. I'd feel kind of hopeless and think to myself, "well I don't feel good anyway, why should I keep taking this xyz drug". I wish I'd gone immediately back to the doctor to discuss changes in my feelings/attitude/general well being so that a professional could make the proper diagnosis and correct, remove, or change my meds. We all know we should do this but it's hard to stick to it when you aren't thinking clearly!

(3) I have been told by multiple doctors that there is always a percentage of patients who do not respond to a medication so it is important to stick with your physician and keep trying until you get something that will work for you. Also, I've learned not to expect a medication or combination of them to work the same over time or, to work as well when personal circumstances change or even with the addition of something over the counter that most people would take without a second thought. My point is (and sorry for the lengthy reply) how you feel, the effectiveness of the meds, etc. is a very delicate balance and what works for one person may not work the same for someone else.

I won't bore you with all of the details but suffice it to say that after years of mental health treatment that cummulated into hospitalization for the first time this year, and after 6 months of trying different drugs and combinations of drugs, I feel ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL so get some help and don't give up. There are real answers and treatments available and you should not quit until you've found what works for you.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
(female)

tcp307 HB User

Thank you so much for that. I'm glad I found this message board as well. I've been really depressed all morning for just thinking about stopping the Prozac. I don't like the zombie it makes me, but I HATED the person I was before I started it. I'm just so confused about it all. I guess I will hang in there the best I can until I can get to a Dr. I moved recently so I have to start all over with a new Dr explaining my situation...just the thought of that makes me ill. I appreciate everyone's help.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
(male)

conanld HB User

I wonder if the deadpan feeling of no highs or lows, with clipped emotions could be a sign of excessive serotonin levels?

Perhaps the medication dosage might be too high for you, or something along those lines. Maybe there is something else that you are taking along with the Prozac that is boosting your serotonin levels unusually high?

Those particular symptoms are often reported with excessive levels of serotonin.

Just a thought.

LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp307 View Post
Ok, I've been sitting here reading different things for a while so thought I'd ask my question. I'm feeling very weird and zombie-ish and dead lately. I've been on 40 mg of Prozac for about two yrs. I had a point after I got my mg's right that I actually felt "good". For about the last 6 mo though, I'm kind of feeling like "whatever" to everything. I'm not happy or thrilled about anything, it's almost like I couldn't care less. I'm in a job I hate and don't care who knows it, including my boss. Sometimes I just sit and stare off into no-where like I'm completely outside of myself. I love sleep, only I constantly wake up at night. Then in the morning it's like I never went to sleep and I'm tired and run down all day. I have a wonderful husband and 2 great kids that ask me "what's wrong momma?" and I can't even say. I asked my husband yesterday if he noticed that my attitude is any different lately, and he said that I'm handling stress better than before I was on Prozac. Don't know if that answered the question or not, I'm thinking not. Talking about stress, I don't feel like I have a tolerance for it at all. I just won't put up with things that stress me. I tell people like it is, and I think I'm starting to make enemies at work. Don't really care. There isn't too much I do care about at this point, although I love my family. But when it comes to myself, I could fall off a building and smile on the way down....no clue. Oh, and I can't even cry anymore. Help?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
(female)

tcp307 HB User

Hmm, that never really crossed my mind. Only other thing I'm on is Levoxyl for hypothyroidism. Thanks for the response, I will look into that possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanld View Post
I wonder if the deadpan feeling of no highs or lows, with clipped emotions could be a sign of excessive serotonin levels?

Perhaps the medication dosage might be too high for you, or something along those lines. Maybe there is something else that you are taking along with the Prozac that is boosting your serotonin levels unusually high?

Those particular symptoms are often reported with excessive levels of serotonin.

Just a thought.

LD

Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 AM   #9
(male)

conanld HB User

You might also look into herbs and supplements that are taking (if any) as well.

LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp307 View Post
Hmm, that never really crossed my mind. Only other thing I'm on is Levoxyl for hypothyroidism. Thanks for the response, I will look into that possibility.

Closed Thread