It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #31
(female)

sjd007 HB User
Re: Withdrawal from Pristiq

yeah, I just decided to stay on pristiq, because currently I can't afford to be feeling crappy and dealing with withdrawls. I found the withdrawls worse then the side effects I experience (excessive sweating to cold chills , blurred vision) and I am on the lowest dose of 50 mg. It is helpful but sometimes I just wish I could go back to way before starting it and tried to figure out another way to cope. Because I really hate having to take this medicine.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
(female)

litllaur0122 HB User

[QUOTE=yoyomommy;3922407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by litllaur0122 View Post
Thanks for your help yoyo.

I unfortunatly am trying to stay away from the caffeine and the tylenol extra strength I have been taking for the horrific headaches has done almost nil.

I guess I just keep on truckin' however, it is frusterating for all the above mentioned reasons but also because I feel like it is masking the effects of the Zoloft.

I have all the same symptomes I had on pristiq plus more and exacerbated...

would you agree that it might take some time to see the real effects of the Zoloft until the pristiq gets out...

UGH i hate being a guinea pig!

I would definitely say that until that awful Pristiq is out of your system you aren't going to feel the full benefit of the Zoloft but it'll help as the pristiq leaves your sytem to already have the Zoloft there to pick up the slack, so to speak. From experience I just don't think anyone an really know what's going on in their bodies aside form the withdrawal effects. Docs play down and or minimalize the withdrawals because they listen to drug companies and most haven't had the experience of coming off of Pristiq (or Effexor)... but I can tell you that it Pristiq and Effexor withdrawals are by far the most debilitating. Hang in there. I actually had to open up my Effexor capsules(which is the predecessor of Pristiq) and litterally shave out tiny bits of the powder at a time to wean myself off over almost 9 months... until I was taking teensy tiny amounts during the last few weeks. I had a much easier time coming off the Pristiq though. Hang in there and don't give in and take one! Should it just get too unbearable you could probably try weaning off slower. Happy St Pat's to you as well! BTW... alcohol did NOT help while I was going off the Pristiq... dang it... the glass of wine I had tasted so good but then made my headache much worse! Keep me posted and once again, good luck!
NO ALCOHOL FOR ME!!
i have already seen the insanity it can cause when on these meds

I have heard that effexor is horrible so i guess its to be expected that pristiq is as well.. the headaches are getting somewhat better but the flu like stuff is still there blech!!! oh well onward and upward...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #33
(female)

Marjuan HB User

I have taken Pristiq for 2 months and I found myself having more very low periods than before I started the medication. I felt like I was on a roller coaster, come times I would be OK, then other times I got so low I was uncertain if I wanted to live. I had not gotten this low before taking Pristiq. I feel it made my depression worsen. I stopped it, and the side effects began. I have ringing in my ears, blurred vision, loss of balance, mental confusion, headache, very tired, bazaar dreams still occuring, and over all feeling like I do not want to get out of bed. Three days ago I started taking 1/2 of 50 mg. I had to cut the pill because 50mg is the lowest dose. I see no change in my withdraw symptoms. I have an appt. with my doc. tomorrow so he can tell me how to get off the stuff.

Last edited by Marjuan; 05-11-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added, clarified

Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #34
(female)

Marjuan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjuan View Post
I have taken Pristiq for 2 months and I found myself having more very low periods than before I started the medication. I felt like I was on a roller coaster, come times I would be OK, then other times I got so low I was uncertain if I wanted to live. I had not gotten this low before taking Pristiq. I feel it made my depression worsen. I stopped it, and the side effects began. I have ringing in my ears, blurred vision, loss of balance, mental confusion, headache, very tired, bazaar dreams still occuring, and over all feeling like I do not want to get out of bed. Three days ago I started taking 1/2 of 50 mg. I had to cut the pill because 50mg is the lowest dose. I see no change in my withdraw symptoms. I have an appt. with my doc. tomorrow so he can tell me how to get off the stuff.
My doc took me completely off of Pristiq due to the withdraws I was having. Whyeth said to discontinue like take one every other day then the next week one every 2 days and so on. My doc thought the problem was Pristiq and Whyeth's recommendation would not help, only prolong. My doc gave me Prozac to help the withdraws from Pristiq! I take Prozac for 2 days then off a day right now. My doc and I are keeping in touch to see how fast I can get off the Prozac. Pristiq has serious side effects when you stop it! Be careful

Old 05-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #35
(female)

Minnie76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyomommy View Post
Hi Litlaur0122;3920074,
It took me a good 5 weeks to finally feel like the Pristiq symptoms were over. The headaches, flu-ish feelings (chills? I had them), nauseousness and jumping/twitchy/electric-shock-feelings were all part of my Pristiq withdrawals. I was on Zoloft many years ago and the only side effect I personally experienced was that I was a little tired however a very good friend of mine has been taking Zoloft now for at least 10 years and loves it. Everyone's body is different but I would hazzard to guess that most of what you are experiencing is the pristiq withrawal... which is notoriously bad. The Zoloft should actually help you ween off the Pristiq... if you find that you just can't handle the withdrawals I would try weening off of the pristiq slower. Hope this helps, hang in there... Im sorry the Pristiq didn't work for you, I hear when it works, it's great and when it doesn't it's a booger to come off of. It sound like if you're iinto your 2nd week you're just getting through with the worst of it. Take care!
Hi Yoyo and other readers,
I just found this message board and it's been very helpful. I was on Pristiq for about 8 months and before that I'd been on various antidepressants over the past 10 years or so. I have wanted to see how my life would be without any meds for a long time, and I decided to bite the bullet and try it out this spring. With my psychiatrist's knowledge and recommendation, I started decreasing my Pristiq on April 23, went down from 50 mg to half a tablet (25 mg) and stayed there for 2 weeks, then tried going to zero but had some serious anxiety and panic attacks within the first 2 days, so I went back up to a quarter of a pill for 5 days or so. I am now on my third day of not taking it at all. For the past week, since being on a quarter of a pill, I have felt nauseous, anxious, and I've had the brain chills/fuzziness/confusion that people here have talked about. It's been very uncomfortable. For the past 3 days I've still had a bit of nausea, and a lot of the brain fuzziness, along with being incredibly emotional. I cry at the smallest thing, I feel very sad. My boyfriend has been great throughout this -- I think it's really important to have someone by your side who can cheer you on and remind you that you are strong and can make it through the difficult phase.

Yoyo -- you mentioned that you were trying to be off meds completely, right? How has it been for you lately? You said it took about 5 weeks for all the symptoms to go away right? I'm trying to stay strong, but I really hope that the sadness is just part of getting the meds out of my system and not something that will linger. I'm willing to go back on the meds if I still feel bad emotionally after I've flushed out my system completely. Pristiq was actually working well for me when I was taking it (except for losing my sex drive) and I was feeling happy, but I've always wanted to see if I could live without meds, and see how I do without them.

Thank you,
Minnie

Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #36
(female)

kellijhae HB User

Day 3 of weaning off (25mg daily instead of 50mg) and I have no withdrawal effects, unless cheerfulness is a side effect

Old 05-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #37
(female)

Marjuan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellijhae View Post
Day 3 of weaning off (25mg daily instead of 50mg) and I have no withdrawal effects, unless cheerfulness is a side effect
There is no 25 mg. of Pristiq made- only 50 mg. 50 is the lowest dose and there is no generic. You are not supposed to cut pill in half because it is time released. I cut pill in 1/2 and my Dr. gave me heck.
Wheyth suggests take it every other day for a while then go to skipping 2 days.
My Dr. no longer prescribes this med. due to terrible withdraws.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #38
(female)

kellijhae HB User

I have now switched to taking it every other day. Thanks for the advice I had read that before and forgot. I took a full one today and will skip tomorrow. Hopefully next week I'll go to every 2nd day. I was doing fine until I hit the week before my cycle, and all hell broke loose. PMS and discontinuation-detox sucks! Hot flashes, night sweats, vivid dreams, nausea, stomach cramps, loss of appetite, lack of blinking (that was a weird one, a student pointed it out) irritability, and it goes on and on.

Doing better today, though. No hot flashes really, much more awake. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Good thing it's only a half day tomorrow at work!

If things get really bad, my doc said she'd call in a script for just one Prozac, to get me through. I check back in with her in August. I need to lose probably ~10 pounds by that time. I didn't like her suggestion on how many calories I can eat, but I know how to eat healthy, and how to exercise properly, it's just DOING it that's the problem, the motivation factor. Maybe once I'm free and clear of this stuff, I'll do better on that end. I hope to replace whatever I felt I needed from the meds with healthy eating and exercise.

Lofty dreams, eh?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #39
(female)

Marjuan HB User
Wink Re: Withdrawal from Pristiq

Quote:
I have now switched to taking it every other day. Thanks for the advice I had read that before and forgot. I took a full one today and will skip tomorrow. Hopefully next week I'll go to every 2nd day. I was doing fine until I hit the week before my cycle, and all hell broke loose. PMS and discontinuation-detox sucks! Hot flashes, night sweats, vivid dreams, nausea, stomach cramps, loss of appetite, lack of blinking (that was a weird one, a student pointed it out) irritability, and it goes on and on.

Doing better today, though. No hot flashes really, much more awake. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Good thing it's only a half day tomorrow at work!

If things get really bad, my doc said she'd call in a script for just one Prozac, to get me through. I check back in with her in August. I need to lose probably ~10 pounds by that time. I didn't like her suggestion on how many calories I can eat, but I know how to eat healthy, and how to exercise properly, it's just DOING it that's the problem, the motivation factor. Maybe once I'm free and clear of this stuff, I'll do better on that end. I hope to replace whatever I felt I needed from the meds with healthy eating and exercise.

Lofty dreams, eh?
Your symptoms are pretty much the same as mine, minus the blinking problem! It has been 3 weeks now and I am much better. The weird dreams haven't ended but the other symptoms are very mild now. My Dr. also gave me prozac to help with the symptoms, I took it 2X. I spoke to another Dr. and she said forget it, just go cold Turkey at this point. So I did. A lot of motrin was had, but I can say I feel pretty normal now. If you can't seem to get the withdraws under control, I'd go cold turkey and expect 3 weeks of feeling badly. But in 3 weeks you will feel normal again, at least this is my experience. Good Luck to you. AND start blinking! Ya know, I just thought of something... I was using eye drops because my eyes were burning a lot, I thought I was just to tired but maybe I wasn't blinking either!
Weird!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #40
(female)

kellijhae HB User

The not blinking thing has subsided now that I'm taking the pills every other day. However, I was feeling SO restless a little while ago. So much so it made me cry, because I couldn't focus on anything (I need to study for a placement exam for grad school that I have to take Saturday!) I couldn't sit still, and I didn't have anyone that knows about my issues that I could talk with since a teacher friend is grading essays and my husband is studying for the Bar.

So, I took a very long walk and enjoyed a nice cool evening, got some sun, and took deep breaths of tree/flower smells. It seemed to help. I'm going to have a glass of wine with my dinner (I know, I know...but I like a glass now and then) to see if it will help.

I've also been having indigestion problems, and finally took some Pepto last night to be able to sleep because it felt like a burning vice on my chest. I have NEVER had heartburn in my life that didn't go away on it's own.

So yeah, that's where I am. I hope that once I get past the PMS it will get better. The days where I take pills so far have been the same as the days without, so I think I'm moving in the right direction.

Keep up the good fight! And thanks for responding--it helps to talk to someone, even though I don't really feel like talking to someone I know in real life I can still type! I think moving my fingers helps with the restlessness!

Maybe I should write a novel. Heh.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #41
(female)

Marjuan HB User

Quote:
The not blinking thing has subsided now that I'm taking the pills every other day. However, I was feeling SO restless a little while ago. So much so it made me cry, because I couldn't focus on anything (I need to study for a placement exam for grad school that I have to take Saturday!) I couldn't sit still, and I didn't have anyone that knows about my issues that I could talk with since a teacher friend is grading essays and my husband is studying for the Bar.

So, I took a very long walk and enjoyed a nice cool evening, got some sun, and took deep breaths of tree/flower smells. It seemed to help. I'm going to have a glass of wine with my dinner (I know, I know...but I like a glass now and then) to see if it will help.

I've also been having indigestion problems, and finally took some Pepto last night to be able to sleep because it felt like a burning vice on my chest. I have NEVER had heartburn in my life that didn't go away on it's own.

So yeah, that's where I am. I hope that once I get past the PMS it will get better. The days where I take pills so far have been the same as the days without, so I think I'm moving in the right direction.

Keep up the good fight! And thanks for responding--it helps to talk to someone, even though I don't really feel like talking to someone I know in real life I can still type! I think moving my fingers helps with the restlessness!

Maybe I should write a novel. Heh.
The drug is weird. I think we need to get outside in the sun and sorry to say this but we need exercise. It is a natural anti depressant. Just when we don't feel like it; we need it the most.
I too had to sit for a state board exam this winter. It was hell. My mind was not working. I failed 2 sections and retook them and passed. Loosing your thinking capabilities is scary. I did graduate with my 2nd master's, I guess it's on to the PhD. now. But not this summer, I need a break!
When will you start skipping 2 days in between doses? I'm anxious for you to get that out of your system! I am still having wild and crazy dreams, my mind is slowly coming back. Hang in there!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #42
(female)

kellijhae HB User

Congrats on the 2nd Master's--wow! I wouldn't even know what else I would want to study at this point. The placement exam this morning was meh. There was more I didn't know than I did, but the instructor told us the whole thing didn't really matter, anyway! Ha!

I'm anxious to get this totally out of my system. Frankly, for the past few days, the only difference between the "on" day and the "off" day is some pretty significant heartburn. It almost makes me want to just stop altogether. Not sure how my doc would feel about that lol.

I loved that walk. I've been enjoying a little extra sun the past few days, but the temps are already creeping above 90. I also have a scary family medical history, so if I'm going to be in the actual sun for more than 10 minutes, I almost have to shellac myself with sunscreen for fear of skin cancer! Not to mention my pale Irish skin burns something awful!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #43
(female)

imatweaker HB User

Ive been on Pristiq for a little over 5 weeks and I'm so miserable. I had switched to it from celexa in the hopes that it would help with ADD symptoms as well, but now i'm desperate to get back on the Celexa - am I going to have to reduce pristiq first? - I feel almost desperate and want back on Celexa ASAP and am worried about what my Doc is going to say - I dont think I can stand 1 more week - I'm forgetfull, so sad and ticked off all the time - I can tell my friends are over this whole "experiment", and I'm forgetting important things like paying bills on time and keeping up with my life! Dont think I can function on nothing at all - or do you guys think the Pristiq could be making me so depressed - Ive hear others say that going on Lexapro made them depressed - could I actually start to feel better with nothing at all?

Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #44
(female)

Marjuan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatweaker View Post
Ive been on Pristiq for a little over 5 weeks and I'm so miserable. I had switched to it from celexa in the hopes that it would help with ADD symptoms as well, but now i'm desperate to get back on the Celexa - am I going to have to reduce pristiq first? - I feel almost desperate and want back on Celexa ASAP and am worried about what my Doc is going to say - I dont think I can stand 1 more week - I'm forgetfull, so sad and ticked off all the time - I can tell my friends are over this whole "experiment", and I'm forgetting important things like paying bills on time and keeping up with my life! Dont think I can function on nothing at all - or do you guys think the Pristiq could be making me so depressed - Ive hear others say that going on Lexapro made them depressed - could I actually start to feel better with nothing at all?
Pristiq did make me more depressed! I had OK days and very very low days so low it scared it me. I was worse for taking it. If you are feeling this way, I would get off of it ASAP. The withdraws are terrible, expect 3 weeks of withdraws. I too could not think straight. I gave it 8 weeks and my condition was not better, so I stopped it, the side effects were very bad. YOU are in charge of your health, tell your DR. the med. is not working. Don't be afraid, it is you that has control, not your DR. My Dr. quit prescribing it due to the terrible side effects of withdraw. She said it is a terrible drug!
Again, YES I think the Pristiq could be making you depressed, it did that to me. Good Luck dear.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #45
(female)

Marjuan HB User

Quote:
Congrats on the 2nd Master's--wow! I wouldn't even know what else I would want to study at this point. The placement exam this morning was meh. There was more I didn't know than I did, but the instructor told us the whole thing didn't really matter, anyway! Ha!

I'm anxious to get this totally out of my system. Frankly, for the past few days, the only difference between the "on" day and the "off" day is some pretty significant heartburn. It almost makes me want to just stop altogether. Not sure how my doc would feel about that lol.

I loved that walk. I've been enjoying a little extra sun the past few days, but the temps are already creeping above 90. I also have a scary family medical history, so if I'm going to be in the actual sun for more than 10 minutes, I almost have to shellac myself with sunscreen for fear of skin cancer! Not to mention my pale Irish skin burns something awful!
You must live where it is warm. I am in Ohio, it was 66 today. I have been forcing my self to take walks and I am feeling better. I have had 2 skin cancers removed, so I need to watch out also.
I was anxious to get it out of my system also. How about going off it for 2 days and on it for one day and see how you feel.
I don't know what meh is ? Sounds like you don't have to worry about it those are the good exams, the ones that don't count!
Let me know how you are doing. Good luck

Closed Thread