It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

1hotgranny HB User
pristiq at a lower dose 25 mg

Hi, I have been on pristiq for about 3 weeks starting at a dose of 25 mg and after 5 days going up to 50 mgs. While starting the 25 mgs I was also cutting my Celexa, which seemed to have "pooped out". Since starting the 50 mg I have had the sweats horrible, vivid dreams, and my sleep is not good, I also feel very anxious! When I was on the 25 mgs I was feeling pretty good and thought I could see an improvement, even in my anxiety. Is there any one else that is on just 25 mgs and doing o-k. I actually did talk to my doctor last night and we desided to go back to the 25 mgs and see what happens. Since this is a time released type anti-depress. does cutting it in half cause a problem?
Hope to hear from someone soon.
1hotgranny

Last edited by 1hotgranny; 12-04-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User
Re: pristiq at a lower dose 25 mg

Does the pristqi come in a 25mg? I'm on the pristqi 50mg myself. I wouldn't mind trying to go down to a 25mg? I started out on the 50mg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
(female)

1hotgranny HB User

As far as I know it only comes in 50's that is why I was wondering if cutting it in half would matter since it is a time released pill
1hotgranny

Old 03-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

hamstachick HB User

Anyone able to answer this question about cutting it down to 25mgs? I am sensitive to meds and from what I have read on here, starting out slowly is the best way anyway. Anyone cut the pill in half?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
(male)

camjunkie HB User

Bump. I am wondering the same thing - I'd like to go to 25mg because it upsets my IBS at the higher dosage (as did Lexapro).

Old 12-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
(female)

sharky79 HB User

I have just started on Pristiq.. have started on a quarter as advised by my doctor as i am a fast metaboliser. I have been having problems when it comes to cutting them as you can never get an even cut. I wonder if they wil bring out a 25mg dose.. the 1/4 on the first day actually made me quite sweaty and made me sooo very sleepy! The effects werent as bad as the ones i had with 10mg Lexapro which for the first day were dreadful.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User

I gained a lot of weight with the pristqi. I was on the 50mg. Did you gained on the lexapro? I also was sweating on the pristqi. Good luck with the pristqi.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
(female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User

I'm wondering about all of this also. I did ok when I cut the 50mg pill to 25mg. When I take the full 50mg I get terrible IBS, painful gas and then I actually has some intestinal bleeding. So I stopped taking Pristiq altogether.

But since I am so med sensitive I only need a small dose. Anyone else take 25mg or less?

Anyone know if they will come out with a smaller dose? They need to.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
(female)

sharky79 HB User

Im only on a quarter to start with... as i am also sensitive to most meds and am a fast metaboliser. The quarter has had a few mild side effects.. the first day i slept for 4hours then i was up all night .. the second day i took last night instead as i thought it would make me drowsy as it did the first time.. i was up again most the night... very jumpy but ok... this morning when i woke up was quite off balance. Its been 12 hours since taking it and i feel much better, the nausea is startingt to come now.. Im still finding it hard to cut the pills also.. can never get a dose quite the same as the last.. Im unsure if they will put out a 25mg.. would be great if they did... and more beneficial for others which are only wanting the 25mg dose.

Cuddles1.. i wasnt on leapro long enough as i had severe side effects.. i am unsure if it contributes to weight gain.. although i thing many a.ds can cause this.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
(female)

Rhoadie HB User

hello, i have been taking it for 5 days the 1st 4 days were the toughest body chills,sweats,belly cramps. yesterday i felt pretty good i take mine in the morning less of a chance to loose sleep! i have not been on any previous anti deppresants and on the pristiq i started out with 50mg and am extreamy sensitive to any meds they all seam to bother me. good luck

Old 12-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
(female)

snusan HB User

I am going to see my Doctor tomorrow because this is day 7 on Pristiq, 50mg, and I am having bad anxiety, almost panick attacks at points. My heart seems to be beating faster like i've had to much coffee and I feel jittery, shakey, yawning lots, jaw clinching, and i have tingling/wierd feelings in my legs.
I am on Pristiq due to my anxiety but it seems to be worse. I am hoping this goes away as the heart racing scares me and makes me panick. I take it around 3pm and I do wake up at night but can go back to sleep. I have an decrease in appetite and only today did i feel really hot and sweaty. I also have bloating really bad! I really hope this works for me and all these side effects go away!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

Interesting and confusing...My dr told me to cut the 50 mg pills...I called my pharmacy and was told NO as it would release to quickly into my system. It is a time release pill...I am so med sensititve I am afraid to try it at 50 mg. Sounds like many have had good luck cutting the pill.....?? I may try it...anyone with follow up on how you are doing and did you go to the 50 mg?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
(female)

sharky79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionqueen View Post
Interesting and confusing...My dr told me to cut the 50 mg pills...I called my pharmacy and was told NO as it would release to quickly into my system. It is a time release pill...I am so med sensititve I am afraid to try it at 50 mg. Sounds like many have had good luck cutting the pill.....?? I may try it...anyone with follow up on how you are doing and did you go to the 50 mg?

I found cutting it and taking it at a smaller dose was giving me bad side effects.... and they were different each time as the dose was never consistent. My doctor suggested starting it at the theraputic dose so i decided to start at a higher dose of 50mg this was done in hospital as my body is extremely sensitive to medication and we found it better to be supervised upon starting the high dose incase of severe reactions like i had previously with the lexapro.

Im currently in my 4th week at the 50mg dose.... i am very happy with it.. ive noticed some changes and some positives but know its gonna take a few more weeks to feel the full effects. All side effects ceased after the second week. I dont even realise im taking it now which for me is great.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
(female)

sharky79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusan View Post
I am going to see my Doctor tomorrow because this is day 7 on Pristiq, 50mg, and I am having bad anxiety, almost panick attacks at points. My heart seems to be beating faster like i've had to much coffee and I feel jittery, shakey, yawning lots, jaw clinching, and i have tingling/wierd feelings in my legs.
I am on Pristiq due to my anxiety but it seems to be worse. I am hoping this goes away as the heart racing scares me and makes me panick. I take it around 3pm and I do wake up at night but can go back to sleep. I have an decrease in appetite and only today did i feel really hot and sweaty. I also have bloating really bad! I really hope this works for me and all these side effects go away!
I had the same side effects and very bad anxiety for the first week or so..... appetite completely went. The thing i found most annoying was my tight jaw muscles... got to the point that it was actually begining to hurt. The other thing was feeling jelly legged...... hang in there.... the first weeks are the hardest... just let your body adapt... hopefully they completely subside like mine did... i hate taking medication but i'll admit its working for me and aint that bad in the long run.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #15
(male)

Rio2007 HB User

I have been on 50mg Pristiq for 4 months. It has worked for me but I got droswy during the day and sexual side effects.Tried lexapro and buspar in a few combinations. Well, I did not take Pristiq one Friday night because I planned to have sex Saturday morning. I felt GREAT that Satruday so I went to Dr and asked about lower the dosage. She told me 25mg of Pristiq will be coming out soon and you cannot cut the 50mg. So, now am taking 50mg Pristiq every other day and I feel great.

Closed Thread