It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
(female)

Erinleighm33 HB User
Meds w/o insomnia

I'm looking into taking one of the newer antidepressants that I have yet to try - Cymbalta and Pristiq. I've taken most of the others and suffered side effects that kept me from continuing them. The biggest and most disturbing side effect has been insomnia. I've experienced that on Paxil CR, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, and Celexa. Prozac and Wellbutrin made anxiety worse. I'm really afraid of having the insomnia side effect with others, but I'm willing to give these last two a try just so I can see if maybe there is one out there that won't cause this. I'm also afraid of weight gain. Anyone have experiences with either or both of these and didn't experience the side effect of insomnia, but did have that side effect with other meds? Are there any other meds out there? I also tried Lamictal, but it took months of SLOWLY increasing the dosage and it really had no positive or negative effect on me whatsoever. Please provide some input if you can. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Meds w/o insomnia

Hi there,

I've had insomnia since childhood. I've been on quite a few ant-depressants. I'm currently taking Zoloft which has worked better for me than the others you listed. Anyway, I had a pretty bad bout of anxiety a few months ago and could hardly sleep, even with ambien. My doctor suggested I try Seroquel, a very low dose 50mg, at bedtime. This drug has worked wonders for my insomnia. Since taking it, I have not had one sleepless night. The down side is that it increases my appetite in the evening. I don't eat much during the day, but after taking the Seroquel, I could eat everything in the house. I was taking it around 7pm with all my other meds, but have switched to taking it closer to bedtime and that has helped keep me out of the kitchen.

Best wishes,

JB

Last edited by granny0; 12-05-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
(female)

sammie616 HB User
Re: Meds w/o insomnia

i too had a problem with sleeping on zoloft and eneded up in hospital twice this drug completly stopped me from sleeping days on end 3 in a row before i would end up in hospital a total messs zoloft also stopped my sleeping pills from working so iwas in a right messs.Serequel after alot of hard work i finally have been prescribed iis my life saver i take that when i go to bed and half hr later and out to it for 8 hrs i also am on 1 x100mg it really is a godsend

Closed Thread