It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
(male)

REDD998 HB User
Prozac Vs. Zoloft

I had been on Zoloft for about 3 year's and it quit working.I had bad withdraw from the Zoloft and would never go back on the Zoloft again.That means Paxil is a non starter for me.My Doctor prescribed me 20 Mg's of Prozac and Im on my 9th day and I don't have many side affects other then feeling tired,lack of appetite and sweating.My Doctor prescribed me Celexa and Lexapro in the past and they just made me tired.I was wondering if anybody prefer's one over the other??

Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User
Re: Prozac Vs. Zoloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD998 View Post
I had been on Zoloft for about 3 year's and it quit working.I had bad withdraw from the Zoloft and would never go back on the Zoloft again.That means Paxil is a non starter for me.My Doctor prescribed me 20 Mg's of Prozac and Im on my 9th day and I don't have many side affects other then feeling tired,lack of appetite and sweating.My Doctor prescribed me Celexa and Lexapro in the past and they just made me tired.I was wondering if anybody prefer's one over the other??
Hello. I'm on 20mg of Fluoxetine (generic prozac). my psychatrist has me taking 2tabs one day , then 1 tab the next day, then 2, then 1...etc...she said it evens out to 30 mg. it works wonders for me. I'm not moody, crying, cutting, wanting to end it all. it did take a good 6-8 weeks to feel full effects of it.

my primary doc started me on zoloft. it made me like shakey after 3 weeks. celexa made me very irratated. paxil made me nausia. i've been on prozac 2 years now and its still working. if i miss a dose i can tell...i get down in the dumps. oh, ya...if i remember right prozac did make me tired at first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
(male)

REDD998 HB User

Im a little surprised at the lack of side affects after 9 days.One of the reasons I don't worry about taking Prozac is that it is alot easier to come off of.Also weight gain is a big issue with me and my appetite has really gone down lately.I believe I have OCD with food.The only thing is that I have more Anxiety then Depression but I take other Anti Anxiety meds besides the Prozac.I felt I needed a antidepressant because I had no energy and stopped working out.Im not sure but I think the lower the dose the better it is for Anxiety and the higher the dose better for depression.Im going to stick with 20 mg's for a while.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I think your right there, when it comes to dosage. On AD's, I'm on Zoloft, the lower the dose, the better it is for anxiety, I'm on 25mg, and the higher, like maybe 50 the better it is for depression. That seems to make sense. I'm more relaxed and calm on the lower dose, and get more anxious, wired, on the higher dose.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
(male)

REDD998 HB User

Zoloft was way too activating for me over 50 mg's and over time ,even the 50 Mg's was to much after time.I went down to 25 mg's and then eventually 12.5 Mg's. Zoloft eventually just stopped working for me and I had some bad side affects after stopping it.So far so good after 10 day's of 20 mg's of Prozac.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
(male)

REDD998 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokie View Post
Hello. I'm on 20mg of Fluoxetine (generic prozac). my psychatrist has me taking 2tabs one day , then 1 tab the next day, then 2, then 1...etc...she said it evens out to 30 mg. it works wonders for me. I'm not moody, crying, cutting, wanting to end it all. it did take a good 6-8 weeks to feel full effects of it.

my primary doc started me on zoloft. it made me like shakey after 3 weeks. celexa made me very irratated. paxil made me nausia. i've been on prozac 2 years now and its still working. if i miss a dose i can tell...i get down in the dumps. oh, ya...if i remember right prozac did make me tired at first.
I don't feel shaky at all so far taking Prozac.Im surprised of the lack of side affects so far but Im only on my 11th day of 20 mg's so far.One side affect which is good is that my appetite is lacking.I have had prolems with gaining weight and over eating.I don't know if this side affect wears off or not.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
(male)

unteng10 HB User

I took Prozac, 20 mg a day for about 7 years, and just quit taking it one day with no problems. My doctor prescribed me Welbutrin SR 150 mg a day, and that did nothing at all for me. So she put Celexa 20 mg a day on top of the Welbutrin. I do not like Celexa at all. It makes me extremely tired, and made me feel numb inside, and distant from friends. I think it made my depression worse. My doctor keeps noting that I have anxiety, but I am EXTREMELY chill and quiet, and these pills make it worse. Never taken Zoloft though. The Prozac did wonders for my anger when I was younger, but I have learned to deal with it as I have grown up. Never saw any side effects with Prozac. Good luck to you, hope everything works out!

Closed Thread