It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

KellyCz HB User
Pristiq and insomnia

I have been on Pristiq for major depression since this past fall. (Not sure when exactly I started it.) Most recently before this, I was on Effexor XR 225 mg. daily. I had to stop the effexor due to problems with my heart beating too quickly, which is a problem for me anyway. I had been on Effexor for a long time, and as far as depression, it was effective, so my psychiatrist decided to try Pristiq, since it is so closely related to Effexor. I really like it, and when I first started it (first 2 weeks or so) when my body was adjusting to it, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I have always had problems with sleep, and was able to come off Torazodone 200mg. when I first started Pristiq. Now that I have been on it for some time, I literally can not sleep. I get maybe 2-3 hrs. of sleep a night, and I know that I need about 8-10 hrs. of sleep to function at my best. I have since had to restart the Torazodone (this time at 100mg.) and even that is not working. Is insomnia a side effect of Pristiq? If you are on Pristiq and have/had troubles with insomnia, does it help to take it in the morning as opposed to evening dosing? I am getting really tired of not sleeping. Thanks.
Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User
Re: Pristiq and insomnia

You should take the pristqi in the morning. I've been on it since June. I take 50mg of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

KellyCz HB User

Thanks for the reply. I started taking it in the morning today, and hopefully I will be able to sleep more peacefully tonight with the Torazodone being the only psychiatric med that I take at night. (I am on Pristiq and Torazodone.) I am also on 50mg. of it. Thanks again.

Kelly

Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User

Just wondering if you were able to sleep last night? Hopeful things will be better taking the pristqi in the morning. How much of the trazodone do you take? Sometimes I take 25 mg of it. Are you able to lose weight on the pristqi? Stay in touch, let me know how you're doing.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
(female)

KellyCz HB User

Hi Cuddles,
I was able to sleep last night, yes, thanks for asking. I feel like I have more energy this morning, and with the Torazodone, I slept through the night, once I got to sleep around 1:00am. So, I think the timing of the dosing is key.

As for losing weight on pristiq, I think I have....(I don't keep a scale in my house because I would end up obsessing about my weight.) I am very overweight due to years of being on psych meds and hypothyroidism, and I don't have an appetite to speak of on Pristiq. I eat because I know I have to, but much less than I was before. Pristiq has been great for me depression wise with minimal side effects and I am so glad things are looking up for me in the sleep dept. I really feared I would have to consider trying another med. (I am at the point where I have tried most of them after dealing with depression for many years.)

Kelly

Old 01-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

So glad you were able to sleep last night. I work nights, so I have to take trazoddone to help me fall asleep at night. Would you like to be my weight loss buddy? I need to lose weight also. Have you ever gone on weight watchers boards? They give a lot of support there also.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
(female)

survivor444 HB User
Smile Re: Pristiq and insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddles1 View Post
So glad you were able to sleep last night. I work nights, so I have to take trazoddone to help me fall asleep at night. Would you like to be my weight loss buddy? I need to lose weight also. Have you ever gone on weight watchers boards? They give a lot of support there also.
I just joined this board and can't figure out how to write a new post! Is it the Pristiq? (ha)Anyway, after trying and failing on every known antidepressant, my doctor suggested Pristiq. The first one I tried was Paxil and it was wonderful but I blew up like a balloon and eventually stopped. Anyway, I tried one 50mg. last Wed. at about 11:30 am and was fine until about 4:30 and could barely keep my eyes open. This only has happened with xanax in the past. I have been having difficulty sleeping at a normal hour but slept about 10 hrs. that night but the next day felt dizzy and out of it so didn't take it again. I was getting tired of having to take whole days off from my life to get over an antidepressant. But the insomnia came back, so this morning again at 11:30, I tried another one-it is now about 5 and I'm feeling a little sleepy but not that bad. There seems to be a mixed bag of results from this stuff and I'd love to hear more and if anybody else had about the same results from just one that I had....thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

The first week of taking pristqi, I was sleepy. Be sure take it in the morning time. After the first week, things get better with time. Just be patient with it, I promise it'll get better. I've been on it since June.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
(male)

tomffd185 HB User

FYI ladies there is a major drug interaction between Pristiq and Trazadone. You might want to look into it.

I justw ant you ladies to be safe. Take care! Tom

Last edited by moderator2; 12-23-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy - please do not copy from websites

Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
(female)

vickywalker HB User

I am concerned about the need to take such strong pills like Pristiq. Maybe there is an alternative?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

I changed from the pristqi to lexapro. So far I'm doing ok with it. You might want to talk to your doctor about changing your meds.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
(female)

biso HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCz View Post
I have been on Pristiq for major depression since this past fall. (Not sure when exactly I started it.) Most recently before this, I was on Effexor XR 225 mg. daily. I had to stop the effexor due to problems with my heart beating too quickly, which is a problem for me anyway. I had been on Effexor for a long time, and as far as depression, it was effective, so my psychiatrist decided to try Pristiq, since it is so closely related to Effexor. I really like it, and when I first started it (first 2 weeks or so) when my body was adjusting to it, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I have always had problems with sleep, and was able to come off Torazodone 200mg. when I first started Pristiq. Now that I have been on it for some time, I literally can not sleep. I get maybe 2-3 hrs. of sleep a night, and I know that I need about 8-10 hrs. of sleep to function at my best. I have since had to restart the Torazodone (this time at 100mg.) and even that is not working. Is insomnia a side effect of Pristiq? If you are on Pristiq and have/had troubles with insomnia, does it help to take it in the morning as opposed to evening dosing? I am getting really tired of not sleeping. Thanks.
Kelly
Hi Kelli!!! I am currently in the same boat as you!! i was wondering when you take the pristiq? i take 100 milligrams and take it in the morning. It KEEPS ME up at night for so long. Started 50 milligrams of trazadone....has done nothing. Love pristiq but can't take sleepness anymore. I have anxiety as well as depression and that keeps me up at night as it is. Can you let me know when you take your pristiq? Thanks a bunch!!! biso

Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
(female)

lydiasmom HB User

I'm on 50mg of pristiq and I have issues of not getting deep sleep and it's making me so tired. I've added on adderall to help with my overall mood, concentration and energy. But is there an alternative? I've always have had issues with shallow sleep with or without meds.

Believe it or not, when I was pregnant and off meds, I felt great. So I am wondering what the trick of pregnancy was. hmmm.... I'm also wondering if I should just change meds completely. I've been on sleep aid and other meds for sleeping, but the morning grogginess ruined it. I was recommended herbal teas and melatonin. I will post about whether it helped or not.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
(male)

anxiouslyattach HB User

I started taking Pristiq for depression and anxiety (first timer) 4 weeks ago; and since then I have had persistent insomnia. I have took sleeping pills the first two weeks slowly reducing the dose, and still unable to sleep. I have the lightest sleep and maybe getting 2 or 3 hours a night. It's quite unbearable. I do like the loss of appetite side effect, and other than insomnia I have no other side effects, but this may be too much.

has anyone else found a solution or work around for this? I am not eager to change medications as this one seems to be working fine otherwise.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #15
(female)

JennaLoJones HB User
Talking Re: Pristiq and insomnia

After reading this post everything made sense.

I was put on Pristiq about 5 months or so ago after been on EFFEXOR or ever, I have notice that for the post few months I not really been sleeping well I toss and turn all night and finally get to sleep about an hour before I wake up. I never thought it would be the pristiq for some reason it never crossed my mind.

But thanks everyone for your posts its really good to know what may be the cause of this, my next appointment with my doctor i am going to talk to him about it.

Has anyone got any suggestions of what may help, I dont want to change medication as have changed sooo many times and i actually like pristiq and want to continue taking it.

thanks

Closed Thread