It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

rita63 HB User
does anyone collect disability for anxiety and depression?

I have been this way mostly all my life ,but not to this extreme.I have rarely worked, my husband is the provider in the home.I'm 46 now and it has gotten extremely worse. I'm now being treated for it for the past 3 month's.It'sso overwhelming.I would not wish this on anyone.I have raised my son and now would like to work outside the home.But this get's debilitating at times.I'm afrais I would not be reliable...What can I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
(male)

RickRude HB User
Re: does anyone collect disability for anxiety and depression?

If you've been dealing with this for most of your life, you should be seeing a professional. If this has not helped, you should change professionals and / or consider electroconvulsive therapy. These are the solutions that will improve your life. Disability is not an option before you start a job. You should seek a position that will allow you to work a number of hours that you can complete at a low stress level.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
(female)

SpicyGirl82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRude View Post
If you've been dealing with this for most of your life, you should be seeing a professional. If this has not helped, you should change professionals and / or consider electroconvulsive therapy. These are the solutions that will improve your life. Disability is not an option before you start a job. You should seek a position that will allow you to work a number of hours that you can complete at a low stress level.
Would electro-convulsive therapy be covered by Medicaid?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

well, I guess the first question is, what are you doing? How are you getting treated? What kind of health professional are you seeing? therapy? meds? There are a host of things you can do. Also, make sure you get a full physical from a family doctor just to make sure there are no other issues going on. Worsening can be caused by hormones being out of whack, or thyroid troubles. You have to rule all of that out first.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

heyyou1263 HB User

you can draw disability for depression anxiety however they will want you to exhaust every avenue possible for treatment...meaning it could be years beofre your eligible!
This is something that can be faked very easily and you will probably have to be under the care of a pshychiatrist before he would even suggest filing disbility

Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
(female)

shelbybear HB User

Contact your mental health agency...many of the people I volunteeer with have disability...but they have to seek help first to get it...I too suffer from depression and it can be dibilitating...I am currently seeing a therapist and on meds...see a professional is my best advice...shelbybear

Old 01-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User

I've been on disability for nearly six years for a number of medical problems, depression and anxiety being a couple of them. It is possible to have this successfully treated but you need to be hooked up with a good psychiatrist. I've been having a heck of a hard time finding a new one and am hoping that maybe my insurance company will listen to me and coordinate the referral.

ECT is an effective treatment but this is something you will have to discuss with your psychiatrist. I've had two full courses of ECT plus a number of "maintenance" treatments. Probably twenty or so altogether. I moved to a neighboring county and that's kind of what threw a monkey wrench in the works. There are no decent psych docs in my county so I will have to find one where I used to live.

Don't give up on seeking treatment or your disability case. Please keep us posted.

Closed Thread