It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

ShayBunnie HB User
Will I gain the weight back that I lost on Prozac?

I have been on Prozac for 3 monthes now and along with feeling a great deal better I have also lost over 20 lbs. I plan to continue taking Prozac but am concerned the weight will come back. Is there anyone out there who can tell me their experiences with Prozac and weight loss?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
(female)

xblondeangel650 HB User
Re: Will I gain the weight back that I lost on Prozac?

I have been taking Prozac for about 4 months and my dosage is now 30mg,on top of that I also take Depakote ER 1000mg,and Loestrin 24(birth control).When I wasn't taking either of them,it was so hard to loose weight,not that I was fat or anything,as soon as I did,everything sort of melted away.My whole family is skinny,especially me from being on medications off and on.Prozac is usually given to patients who suffer an eating disorder,and Depakote has been proven to give others weight gain.Whatever I take does the opposite,so everyone is different I guess.The only problem I have with this medication combo,is that it gives me severe constipation and it's very frustrating,I have no appitite realy.I'm sure if you stopped Prozac,which I don't recommened,the weight will come back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
(male)

RickRude HB User
Re: Will I gain the weight back that I lost on Prozac?

If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. Prozac often leads to weight gain because it stimulates appetite. If you were overeating due to your depression, and with Prozac you've stopped overeating then it has helped you to lose weight. If you stop prozac and get depressed again and it leads you to overeat, you will gain it back.

Anyway, you shouldn't stop until you've been on it for at least 6 months. If you do stop at 6 months, you should plan to eat properly and exercise so that you don't gain weight. Losing weight is hard, maintaining is usually a bit easier. Congratulations and good luck.

Closed Thread