It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

zhope HB User
Unhappy Help for morning depression

I have been diagnosed with major depression. It's not all the time, just when certain life events trigger it. The thing is, it is always worse in the mornings, and I simply can't get out of bed. I often stay there until well after noon when I can get the nerve to catapult myself out of bed. Then by evening I feel much better. Only the next morning it happens all over again.

The sad thing is, even when I am not in a clinical depression, I have kind of "mini depression" in the mornings if I have to wake up to an alarm clock. I open my eyes and everything just seems black and I don't want to face the world. This happens on a regular basis. Once I"m out the door, things are fine, but I'm often late because I just couldn't make myself get out of bed until the last possible minute. My brain is full of negative thoughts and I can't seem to stop them or force myself up until I "have" to.

This is such a horrible way to start each day. I know of people who open their eyes and are happy to greet the day. I'd give almost anything to feel that way.

Does anybody know why such low feelings hit in the morning and any tips on what to do about them?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Been HB User
Re: Help for morning depression

Hi there,

Yes. The medical term is "diurnal" meaning it occurs usually at the same time of the day. Most commonly we feel the worst when we first awake as you descrinbe but others report the reverse. What's new? Depression is so perverse isn't it?

I'm a morning worst type although m,ostly I'm Ok these days after many years in the pit.

Knowing why it's worst in the morning and doing something about it are two different topics of course. One possibility is, if you are taking meds, then maybe changing when you take them would change that pattern. Docs advice only on this though.

Medical experiments have shown too that the longer we stay awake, when depressed, the better we feel. I know I always feel best around midnight and become reluctant to go to sleep as I feel good. Naturally there are limits on this of course as we can't stay awake indefinitely and tests do show we become "lost" after a lack of sleep for extended periods.

If I knew someone who woke and jumped out of bed I think I'd have to shoot them. It's not right is it!! They have no right to be cheerful on leaving a comfortable bed and a deep sleep!!!

Well, at least you have the term and you can read up on it now. Good luck. I found my feeling that way changed when my depression lightened.

Been

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
(female)

zhope HB User

Dear Been,
Thanks for posting. I had never heard that term, and I did google it. At least I now know that this is not something unique to me--and actually has a scientific term. For some reason understanding some of the science of depression helps me feel less like I'm just weak and it's something I should be able to snap out of. Not that it makes me want to justify and stay in it--but just that there is some scientific fact to this stuff.

I also ended up on another Depression site and saw a huge thread with people all saying the depression was worst in the morning.

As you said, understanding and doing something about it are two different things.

One woman said she set her alarm, took her med and then slept another half hour and it was better getting up. Don't think I could get back to sleep. but it's a thought.

Anyway, thanks a lot for replying.

Last edited by zhope; 03-13-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Been HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhope View Post
Dear Been,
Thanks for posting. I had never heard that term, and I did google it. At least I now know that this is not something unique to me--and actually has a scientific term. For some reason understanding some of the science of depression helps me feel less like I'm just weak and it's something I should be able to snap out of. Not that it makes me want to justify and stay in it--but just that there is some scientific fact to this stuff.

I also ended up on another Depression site and saw a huge thread with people all saying the depression was worst in the morning.

As you said, understanding and doing something about it are two different things.

One woman said she set her alarm, took her med and then slept another half hour and it was better getting up. Don't think I could get back to sleep. but it's a thought.

Anyway, thanks a lot for replying.
Hi Zhope,

Yes, it does make us feel a bit stronger, just knowing the terminology, that it's common and many have the same and don't know why. Mind you nights too are not uncommon for some.

Don't get the idea though that I have great knowledge or such. I have said to my current pdoc so many times over the decade "What does that mean in English?" so he explains it and then I can Google it and understand it. Whereas I wouldn't remember the term if he didn't explain.

Those that do read thos if you think about how many times you've seen a doc or a pdoc and they ask this question "Is it worse in the morning or evening?" or similar. It's one of their standard questions giving them the clue to where we are on the D scale. Diurnal tends to mean we have a reasonably determined little D on our hands, so to speak.

I topok the attitude back when I was ready to throw in the towel that I had to learn about this thing as it's too scary not knowing what's next and what it means and so on. Once you do know the main symptoms and terms you hear but ignore then it tends to desmystify it. Which, in itself, helps recovery.

So, ask your doc to speak your language! It is amazing how many people keep asking that question whereas a sample of FAQ's on the bigger sites would tell them the answer as it's been asked and answered often over the years. Sadly, I know that!

Been

Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
(female)

zhope HB User

Yes, I'm the same as you. I feel the need to understand things--to somehow wrap my head around it -- and that makes me feel a bit like maybe I can get a handle on it or that there is hope for better and better treatment.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread