It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

treelover HB User
Do you feel calmer, happier when night comes?

Does anyone start to lighten up when the night comes? When it starts to get dark my mood lifts (usually around 8:00 p.m.). it's like its the end of the day, nothing is expected of me (by myself or others). Tomorrow is coming, but it's not here. I feel that I don't "have" to do anything but I usually find myself doing some house work at 8:30 or so. I live with my 2 cats and this is definitely the time of day when I am happiest.

Anyone else?

Treelover.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User
Re: Do you feel calmer, happier when night comes?

I find the opposite, actually. My anxiety in particular is worse at night. It's actually quite debilitating at times. Perhaps it has to do with our internal clock that fluctuates with the changing of the day?

Last edited by catheryn; 04-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catheryn View Post
I find the opposite, actually. My anxiety in particular is worse at night. It's actually quite debilitating at times.
I agree with you, things get worse at night.
hypothyroid
cortizone deficient

Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User

if i go for a walk at night (REALLY late), i have a chance at feeling remotely normal. i have been suffering from major depression for two years, though.

having a high point is surely a good thing, i hope you can have it last all day, eventually

cheers,
Matt321

Last edited by Matt321; 04-02-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

sarah1515 HB User

I feel exactly the same way, during the day I feel completely miserable but when night comes I feel great. I feel like I can do anything, accomplish anything. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. It's like you say "nothing is expected of me", its a good feeling.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelover View Post
Does anyone start to lighten up when the night comes? When it starts to get dark my mood lifts (usually around 8:00 p.m.). it's like its the end of the day, nothing is expected of me (by myself or others). Tomorrow is coming, but it's not here. I feel that I don't "have" to do anything but I usually find myself doing some house work at 8:30 or so. I live with my 2 cats and this is definitely the time of day when I am happiest.

Anyone else?

Treelover.
Absolutely. My stress and anxiety level drops noticably after dark. I've looked out the window at times, seen that it was dark, and literally sighed with relief.

Also when it's raining or just any type of bad weather type situation. Hurricanes, blizzard, whatever. Love them.

Last edited by fossilapostle; 04-29-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Treelover -

I tend to feel very empty and lonely during the day, yet I seem to perk up at night once my husband gets home. I have friends to talk to, I just don't like to burden anyone with my problems.

Fossilapostle -

Funny you should mention the weather. I hate it when I'm depressed and it's nice outside because I feel too crappy to go out and enjoy it, and that makes me feel worse. Yet when the weather is bad, it doesn't matter because I already feel like crap anyway, so who cares? To people who aren't depressed, I suppose this a backwards way of thinking. Conversely, though, when I'm feeling good, a dreary day doesn't bring me down. Depression is a strange animal.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
(male)

Epicus HB User

I find that when I wake up first thing in the morning, I feel rejuvenated and my mind is very clear. My sentences are fluid and I have no worries in the world (given I didn't oversleep through my alarm and gotten a proper nights rest). Come night time, I feel like I just wanna eat a big bowl of pasta and let those hormones kick in and knock me out... but I only let that happen on holidays

Old 05-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

Treelover, I also feel the best in the evening, dishes are put away, cooking and eating all done, nothing to do anymore, just watch some TV (which I never do doing the day). The only other time I feel happy when I'm out with my bike or walking.
Laura

Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
(female)

Mable08 HB User

I feel miserable when I wake up, and wish that I could lie on bed all day. But once I get myself started to work, I am usually ok. Then when I am alone, I feel like cr*p again. I do my homework and stuff at night too, usually after 10 when I realize that the deadlines are coming the next day......

And Fossilapostle and kittywitty, I totally agree with the weather thing! I hate it when the weather is nice. Everyone's out enjoying the weather and I am alone at home being miserable. But when it's raining, snowing, or stormy, I feel better - the worse the weather is, the better I feel.

It's interesting to see you folks' posts. I always thought that this is just my personality. I guess it can be part of our personality, and maybe also a part that contributes to our depressed mood??? Or the other way around???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Treelover -

I tend to feel very empty and lonely during the day, yet I seem to perk up at night once my husband gets home. I have friends to talk to, I just don't like to burden anyone with my problems.

Fossilapostle -

Funny you should mention the weather. I hate it when I'm depressed and it's nice outside because I feel too crappy to go out and enjoy it, and that makes me feel worse. Yet when the weather is bad, it doesn't matter because I already feel like crap anyway, so who cares? To people who aren't depressed, I suppose this a backwards way of thinking. Conversely, though, when I'm feeling good, a dreary day doesn't bring me down. Depression is a strange animal.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mable08 View Post
I feel miserable when I wake up, and wish that I could lie on bed all day. But once I get myself started to work, I am usually ok. Then when I am alone, I feel like cr*p again. I do my homework and stuff at night too, usually after 10 when I realize that the deadlines are coming the next day......

And Fossilapostle and kittywitty, I totally agree with the weather thing! I hate it when the weather is nice. Everyone's out enjoying the weather and I am alone at home being miserable. But when it's raining, snowing, or stormy, I feel better - the worse the weather is, the better I feel.

It's interesting to see you folks' posts. I always thought that this is just my personality. I guess it can be part of our personality, and maybe also a part that contributes to our depressed mood??? Or the other way around???
Hard to say. I've always liked the night and bad weather long before I ever had depression. But there may be some link.

Somehow, to me, night and bad weather make the world seem "smaller" in a sense. And my senses (other than sight) seem much sharper.

Last edited by fossilapostle; 05-09-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
(female)

treelover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilapostle View Post
Also when it's raining or just any type of bad weather type situation. Hurricanes, blizzard, whatever. Love them.
I also love when it is raining or storming. I have often thought I would like to move to Oregon or Washington because of the rain but .... I'm not going anywhere. Don't have it in me to pick up and start over somewhere else.

Treelover.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
(female)

partlycloudy HB User

I do because I like to sleep. It's the only escape I have from my life. I sleep in as long as I can which usually isn't very late because I'm not very active during the day (unless it's a workday - I work part-time), so I don't get very tired. I'm trying to be more active during the day, look for things to do to get me excited about the daytime and waking up, but lately I just want to sleep and can't wait until nighttime.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
(female)

treelover HB User

PartlyCloudy:

I love your user name- very apt - especially when dealing with a topic on depression.

TreeLover.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
(female)

partlycloudy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelover View Post
PartlyCloudy:

I love your user name- very apt - especially when dealing with a topic on depression.

TreeLover.
Thanks. I feel like "MostlyCloudy" or "Stormy" lately, though.

Closed Thread