It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

rachae1 HB User
Herbs & vitamins for withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft 100mg

Been on antidepressants for about 8 years but always one at a time. It was initially prescribed for my social withdrawal and ptsd.

I tapered off zoloft by reducing my dosage by 25 mg over the course of several weeks, and now I'm totally off of it. I felt weird and "unprotected"; tense muscles, short temper, impatient, snappy. Gradually, especially in the last two days I'm beginning to feel I'm getting better.

I did a fair amount of googling and found info about certain herbs and supplements that can help to ease anxiety - Kava Kava, valerian (root), vitamin B's, homeopathic products.

Has anyone ever tried these herbs or vitamins to help with anxiety and depression?

My pharmacist told me Kava Kava is one really good one (he doesn't carry it). So, I'm thinking I'd rather go this route than the pharmaceuticals. I ought to know because of my recent experience with withdrawal symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
(male)

RickRude HB User
Re: Herbs & vitamins for withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft 100mg

Why did you quit zoloft?

Kava is unproven, but some swear by it. If it really works and you decide to stop it, you will have withdrawals. The withdrawals occur when you stop changing your neurochemistry. Their severity is related to the half life of the drug - worse when it is shortest (paxil), best when longest (Prozac/fluoxetine). Another issue with herbals is whether there is actually Kava in the tablet that you purchase. Remember the China milk scare? Yea, China is the Kava supplier as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

St. Johns Wort has studies behind it for depression. I'm not sure how it works on anxiety.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
(female)

rachae1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRude View Post
Why did you quit zoloft?

Kava is unproven, but some swear by it. If it really works and you decide to stop it, you will have withdrawals. The withdrawals occur when you stop changing your neurochemistry. Their severity is related to the half life of the drug - worse when it is shortest (paxil), best when longest (Prozac/fluoxetine). Another issue with herbals is whether there is actually Kava in the tablet that you purchase. Remember the China milk scare? Yea, China is the Kava supplier as well.
Not trying to promote them so I won't mention their name but one particular company, based in Canada, actually swear by their quality assurance standards for all their supplements/herbs, and they seem to have a popular following and reputation, including their Kava Kava product.

Why I discontinued Sertraline (real thing: Zoloft)... totally unexpected. It started when a shrink suggested my current ssri wasn't working for me so he wanted put me on a mood stabilizer! I thought about it and asked people close to me, including someone familiar with mental illness, and all said I am by no means bipolar, and that's how I feel. That shrink will not listen to me when I said my depressive symptoms returned when Medicaid switched me to the generic.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
(female)

rachae1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor3 View Post
St. Johns Wort has studies behind it for depression. I'm not sure how it works on anxiety.
I read Adverse effects and drug interactions on Wikipaedia about SJW. It is still safer in the long run than ssri's, IMHO. I just started on a natural anxiolytic formula (essentially calcium & magnesium taurates with co-enzyme B-12) and omega 3's.

Up until last week I was irritated, temperamental, "snappy" and very sensitive, esp. to comments & environmental stimuli; what felt like a tight chest or chest pains (???), and, believe it or not, even tight stomach muscles. Every time I was irritated by something - a memory, a thought, comments - it felt like my lower right stomach/abdominal muscles were forming knots. I thought I was bloated but, in actuality, it was my stomach muscles, and lower back pain (right side as well).

Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
(male)

Breezes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachae1 View Post

Has anyone ever tried these herbs or vitamins to help with anxiety and depression?
I have tried herbs, vitamins, fatty acids, foods and other supplements for depression. Two things have worked consistently well, salmon oil and blueberries. Of the two, I've had the best results with blueberries.

I read about a couple of small studies that showed blueberries help depression. Other preliminary studies showed improvement in cognitive functioning in older people and those with certain brain diseases. But most of the research has been done on lab animals at this point. In these animals, a substance in blueberries crossed the blood brain barrier. It stimulated the growth of new neurons in the hippocampus. This "neurogenesis" in the hippocampus is thought to play a key role in recovery from depression in people. Also, there was a significant increase in dopamine release. Exercise stimulates neurogenesis in lab animals and is believed to do the same in people.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
(male)

George50 HB User

Please never go off your meds without consulting with your Dr. I was on 60 mg Paxil daily. I started taking B12 , 4 tabs 1000mgs daily. I have been off Paxil since June 2007.

Closed Thread