It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

shygirl76 HB User
Pristiq - withdrawal symptoms

Please excuse if I did not post correctly - this is the first time I have ever posted anything but I think I need advise...

I have been on pristiq for 3 months and decided to quit and I did this cold turkey about 4 weeks ago. Since then I have gained about 10 lbs but that is not even my real issue. I have felt so light headed most times very dizzy that I must sit alot and hold on to things when I walk (especially at night). Also have been very tired and have been sick alot -thoat and ear issues. Not sure if is just my body or withdrawal symptoms. I am most nervous about the dizzyness especially at night. I have been afraid to drive and I just don't feel right in my skin if this makes sense. Has any one felt this way when they stop taking the pristiq? I don't even know how I ended up on this. I have suffered from minor bouts of depression but I just went to the doctor looking for scrip of ambien or valuim to calm my nerves when I get anxious and he gave me this. Now I feel like I am in an even bigger mess and don't want to go back to the doctor. sorry for the ramble. again any advise would help.

shygirl

The following user gives a hug of support to shygirl76:
irun2day (06-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
(male)

RickRude HB User
Re: Pristiq - withdrawal symptoms

Yes, that is what some people experience when they quit Pristiq. If you ever try to quit again, switch to prozac first and then quit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

Frustratedlady HB User

I am wondering if anyone has any adtl info as ot whether anyone has filed a class action suit against the makers of Pristiq?. Appears alot of people have gone thru what i am going thru. I was only on it for 6 mos. I went off it on April 1st and went back on prozac the same day. I had been on prozac for alot of years and i told the Dr that my depression seemed to be getting worse. He decided to take me off it because he said I had been on prozac for too long ( i wonder why he didn't just prescribe a higher dosage of prozac as i was only on 20 mg.) Instead he put me on Pristiq. I asked him if i should come off of it slowly and he said there was no reason to do that. (I was on 50mg) Anyways, I have become sooo moody and tempermental. Get in arguements with my husband at the drop of a hat! Cry alot. I get very hot. Not menopause as i went thru that at a young age...early 40's and i am now 53. I just don't seem to have any control over my emotions. Does anyone have any solid evidence as to what the longest amount of time that this drug can stay in the body? I am desperate!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shygirl76 View Post
Please excuse if I did not post correctly - this is the first time I have ever posted anything but I think I need advise...

I have been on pristiq for 3 months and decided to quit and I did this cold turkey about 4 weeks ago. Since then I have gained about 10 lbs but that is not even my real issue. I have felt so light headed most times very dizzy that I must sit alot and hold on to things when I walk (especially at night). Also have been very tired and have been sick alot -thoat and ear issues. Not sure if is just my body or withdrawal symptoms. I am most nervous about the dizzyness especially at night. I have been afraid to drive and I just don't feel right in my skin if this makes sense. Has any one felt this way when they stop taking the pristiq? I don't even know how I ended up on this. I have suffered from minor bouts of depression but I just went to the doctor looking for scrip of ambien or valuim to calm my nerves when I get anxious and he gave me this. Now I feel like I am in an even bigger mess and don't want to go back to the doctor. sorry for the ramble. again any advise would help.

shygirl
Makes perfect sense. This is how I felt before I had to see a doctor about the issue (depression).

Did he say to stop the Pristiq cold turkey?

PRISTIQ Withdrawal Symptoms May Include:
aggression, anxiety, balance issues , blurred vision , brain zaps, concentration impairment, constipation, crying spells, depersonalization, diarrhea, dizziness. electric shock sensations, fatigue, flatulence, flu-like symptoms, hallucinations, hostility, highly emotional, indigestion, irritability, impaired speech, insomnia, jumpy nerves, lack of coordination, lethargy, migraine headaches / increased headaches, nausea, nervousness, over-reacting to situations, paranoia, repetitive thoughts or songs, sensory & sleep disturbances, severe internal restlessness (akathasia), stomach cramps, tremors, tinnitus (ear ringing or buzzing), tingling sensations, troubling thoughts, visual hallucinations / illusions, vivid dreams, speech visual changes, worsened depression

Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
(female)

kellijhae HB User

I thought you weren't supposed to quit AD's cold turkey? My doc and I plan to wean me off the Pristiq this summer, by mixing it with every other day doses of Prozac or another AD, and slowly dropping the amount of days I'm on the drugs. She told me that from the get-go, and that it was very important for me to take the Pristiq at the same time every day, like my birth control.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
(male)

camjunkie HB User

Quitting cold turkey is a bad idea. Period.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
(female)

Anxietygirl1129 HB User

Going off pristiq has been literal hell for me. I just created an account so I could respond to this post. I was googling " going off pristiq" in hopes I could find others experiencing turmoil with it, hence, my username haha!

Anyways, I have experienced depression for 3 years and anxiety/ panic attacks since October of 08'. I used to be on cymbalta for about a year, Prozac for 3 month or so and pristiq for 4 months. My doctor is treating me for anxiety with it..... I also have some pills I take when I feel a panic attack coming on but those are only for specific times, not an every day dosage.

I am saying all of that to say.... I decided to go off pristiq because I was so fatigued all the time. I still had circumstantial depression but besides that it had my anxiety under control for the most part. After consideration I decided I would try to go off of it because I thought it would be healthier for my body altogether. You never know how much those drugs/-- anti anxiety/ depression meds have and effect on you til you go off of it, in my case ESPECIALLY pristiq. Here is what I am experiencing:

Awful nausea
Crying spells
Huge amount of anxiety that handicaps me from everyday things
Feeling like I have the flu... I have hardly eaten anything the past 2 days.
Constipation
Dizziness
Almost passing out
Hot flashes ( and I'm in my 20s)
Ringing in my ear
Irritability
Hopeless feeling all the time

I am on my last week of the regimine. My doctor said to take one pristiq every other day for 2 weeks. The first couple of days the only symptom I really had was light head/ weird dizzy spells..... And then the REALLY hard stuff came. It is the worst feeling I have ever felt. I feel the sickest I have ever been. I am thankful that I am not working now or else I would have to take multiple sick days.

Has anyone experienced these things? It is seriously a hardcore detox... it wiped me out completely.

I have been praying hard for God to get me through this---- I know He will, He always does!!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User

I heard some people take prozac to help with the side effects. I just switch from pristiq to cymbalta. I gained 15lbs on the pristiq. Did you gained any weight while you were on the cymbalta? Good luck.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
(female)

kellijhae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxietygirl1129 View Post
Going off pristiq has been literal hell for me. I just created an account so I could respond to this post. I was googling " going off pristiq" in hopes I could find others experiencing turmoil with it, hence, my username haha!

Anyways, I have experienced depression for 3 years and anxiety/ panic attacks since October of 08'. I used to be on cymbalta for about a year, Prozac for 3 month or so and pristiq for 4 months. My doctor is treating me for anxiety with it..... I also have some pills I take when I feel a panic attack coming on but those are only for specific times, not an every day dosage.

I am saying all of that to say.... I decided to go off pristiq because I was so fatigued all the time. I still had circumstantial depression but besides that it had my anxiety under control for the most part. After consideration I decided I would try to go off of it because I thought it would be healthier for my body altogether. You never know how much those drugs/-- anti anxiety/ depression meds have and effect on you til you go off of it, in my case ESPECIALLY pristiq. Here is what I am experiencing:

Awful nausea
Crying spells
Huge amount of anxiety that handicaps me from everyday things
Feeling like I have the flu... I have hardly eaten anything the past 2 days.
Constipation
Dizziness
Almost passing out
Hot flashes ( and I'm in my 20s)
Ringing in my ear
Irritability
Hopeless feeling all the time

I am on my last week of the regimine. My doctor said to take one pristiq every other day for 2 weeks. The first couple of days the only symptom I really had was light head/ weird dizzy spells..... And then the REALLY hard stuff came. It is the worst feeling I have ever felt. I feel the sickest I have ever been. I am thankful that I am not working now or else I would have to take multiple sick days.

Has anyone experienced these things? It is seriously a hardcore detox... it wiped me out completely.

I have been praying hard for God to get me through this---- I know He will, He always does!!
Hey there, just keep plugging away! I'm on every third day now, and while it was every other day, man, I had everything you did plus night sweats and crazy weird-*** dreams.

I just started grad school this summer, too, and Tuesday I had a bout of self-doubt that I just couldn't shake. I cried, I groaned...I told myself I couldn't do it. Wednesday, I paid my tuition and I've been fine ever since. You just have to keep at it.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
(female)

Frustratedlady HB User

Hello Anxiety Girl, Yes, it was pure hell for me going off Pristiq also. I was on it for about 6 mos but my Dr. had me quit "cold Turkey" and had me go back on Prozac but at 40 mg instead of 20 mg. Before i went back on Prozac i was withdrawing from the Pristiq for about 2 weeks. The first day i was off it, i went walking with some of the girls at work on my break and at a certain point I had all i could do to breathe and and thought i was going to collapse. I went thru a very irritable stage, also and like you would cry about anything and everything. It was pure hell for my significant other, Bob. I also gained around 12 lbs while on it, however I have now lost 9 of it but I have really modified my eating habits and I am working out 3 days at least per week at an hr ea time so that is helping. I had starting putting on extra weight anyways just before starting on the Pristiq but I truly believe the Pristiq made the last 12 lbs come on very fast! So glad I am off it. The 40 mg of prozac is helping along with exercising which is a great stress reliever. I never want to take Pristiq again!
Frustraded lady (lori)

Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
(female)

Anxietygirl1129 HB User

Lori,

I called my doctor yesterday and she said going off of pristiq and another drug ( forgot the name) were the worst meds to go off of. Yesterday was the worst day for me. I layed in bed ALL day with MISERABLE nausea. Im talking the worst I have ever had in my life. I felt like I was dying. Did you ever go through that during your 2 week span? I too, have felt like I could collapse. This is about my second week with the "every other week" thing....I guess I am just in the worst part of it.

I only gained about 3 pounds on pristiq, mainly because I am going through alot of personal issues and I dont have much of an appetite anyways...BUT it did make me very hungry sometimes. I have decided not to go on any meds right now after pristiq...I want my body to detox from all the meds and then see how I feel. It scares me that a drug can make you feel like this once you go off of it. It is powerful stuff and almost wonder if Pristiq, by itself is not a safe drug to take.

Today was a fairly good day compared to the rest. I slept all day because I took a phinegrin that my doc gave me for nausea. Then, when I woke up I actually ate something. I am just wondering when I will feel normal again and not feel like I am dying....this is messing me up big time. I have alot of anxiety spells as well....... I just hope its sooner than later that all of this stuff is out of my system!

-Anxiety girl ( Kerrybeth)

Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User

You said you gained weight while on pristiq. I gained also , 15lbs. How long did it take to lose the 9lbs? I've been off of the pristiq for about a month. All my weight was gained in the upper stomach area. I've only lost about three lbs. I do need to start excercising regular. I'm on 30mg of cymbalta now. Thanks for any information losing weight from pristiq.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
(female)

Melpo27 HB User

This is the first time I have ever blogged in my life. So bear with me as I am new at this & not sure I'm doing this right or where/how to really start.
I'm 44 years old. Had surgery that put me in menopause Nov. 2007. Needless to say hot flashes/insomnia/depression all set in within about the second week afterwards. My OBGYN prescribed meds. for the hormones and an anti-depressant (forget which one). I got them filled, but never took either one. Read the side effects and that did it for me. I went to a hormone replacement doc. and did well with the topical gels as opposed to pills. This past December I started to notice that I was getting really irritable. I like most women would have a week a month that would drive my family crazy, but never this bad. I always felt I had a pretty long fuse and could control my temper pretty well. I felt like I was a little out of control. For the last two years my primary doc. and my OBGYN both had tried talking me into trying an anti-depressant. Finally about two months ago I caved in. Of course my primary doc. gave me sample packets and a prescription for Pristiq. Swears it was the latest and greatest on the market. Now I'm beginning to think it was just the latest free sample he had in his office. I started taking it, took a little while to notice that it made me calm and more tolerant of situations. About two weeks ago I started to notice feelings I didn't like. The only way I can explain it is - It blocked the way I would start to feel. If I started to get mad, it would instantly stop, felt like I was going to cry - instantly stop. I guess this is what an anti-depressant does. I did not like the feeling of not being able to feel emotions. I also started getting migranes more frequently. (Have dealt with migranes from the age of 8 - so I pretty much know how to control them.) I noticed the last Pristiq I took which was last Wed. I got a dull headache about an hour after taking. I forgot to take one on Thurs. (which I did occasionally - no biggie take it the next day). I ended up getting a migrane on Friday (needless to say I didn't take one), woke up at 2:00 am headache gone, but feeling like I was getting a head cold or sinus infection going down into my chest. I rushed out of the house Sat. for an event and forgot to take the Pristiq. By 11:30 Sat. morning I had vertigo so bad and vomiting, which lasted for two days until my husband took me to the ER, got a shot for the vertigo and pills for the vomiting. I have been so sick ever since then. I went to my primary on Monday, asked if it was from not taking the Pristiq (he assured me no way), told him I thought that I had a sinus infection - according to him no because by this time I had what felt like a terrible head and chest cold. He said I had a virus and it would have to run it's course. I have been so sick. Vertigo, vomiting, chills, fever, sweats(different from my hot flashes), fatigue, irregular heartbeat, hair standing up on my arms, feeling like I'm shaking apart on the inside, crazy crazy dreams. My doctor finally called in an antibiotic once the fever started, but I still feel like crap. Thought I was feeling better yesterday, but ended up in bed most of the day. My question to any and all: How long do you think this will last? It has been 8 days. I have never been on an anti-depressant my entire life except for the last six weeks. Yes, I stopped cold turkey, but absolutely refuse to try any kind of drug to help get me through this. I thought I was going crazy until I googled Pristiq Withdrawal and found this website. Reading your blogs helped me feel better in some ways, but not real encouraging for a speedy recovery. Is there anyone out there that went through this and is now clear of this crap? How long will this take??
***Sorry about the book - I'm sure I rambled longer than I should have****

Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
(female)

kellijhae HB User

I think I'm done with the Pristiq!

The last one I took was Wednesday. I got some wicked vertigo Monday and Tuesday, took a pill on Wednesday, wasn't able to sleep that night because my mind was racing (like it did the very first time I took Pristiq) and ever since then I've been clean.

Now, going off of any AD is hell, from what I've read. So, I'm not going to say Pristiq is some kind of devil-drug. I will, however, say that because I was on it, I was able to get through this last year. I've learned more about how to cope with stress, which was the main reason I had to be put on the Pristiq in the first place. I had been through so much in the last 3-4 years that I needed some help.

The first two weeks of grad school has been hell for me--8-12am for one class, 1-3:30 for the other, and then an assistantship on top of that where I work 3:30-5 or so and then I have to drive 30+ minutes home in rush hour traffic. I barely had enough time to get everything done. I only freaked out once. I've been handling the stress quite well. In fact, my classmates (some of whom only have the 1-3:30 class) wondered how on earth I got everything done and still got to bed at a reasonable hour.

The secret? I just plugged away (and skimmed A LOT of the articles) and hoped for the best. It was all I could do. Freaking out about it wasn't going to help, so I just didn't.

So, I'm happy, overall with the experience. I'm glad to be done, though, because I don't like taking meds I don't feel I need, for any reason.

Melpo--the main problem I see with your issues is that you didn't take the Pristiq regularly. It's a time-released medication, so you are SUPPOSED to take it at the same time, every day. Like a birth control pill. Stopping cold turkey causes these kinds of effects, not just with Pristiq, but with a lot of drugs, and not just AD's.

Let yourself get clean. See if you actually need anything. If you didn't like the way you felt (disconnected) while on the Pristiq, then ask for something else. Just because your doc gave it to you doesn't mean it's the best medication FOR YOU. You have to advocate for yourself.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hi Kellijhae, Congratulations on the pristiq. I know you're happy to be off of it. Have you notice any change in your weight loss since you have taper off of it? Please tell me how you taper off your medication again and long it took you. I want to taper off myself. Sometimes I think the side effects of these drugs are just to much. My husband still hasn't been able to find a job yet. Please keep us in your prayers. Stay in touch.

Closed Thread