It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

hyperchicky HB User
Horrible depression when using Alprazolam (Xanax)

I have been on antidepressants for 15 years - Zoloft, Paxil, now Lexapro. I really like the Lexapro. I'm on a very low dose, 10 mg and have been for nearly 2 years, but it works for me. At one time, I did try to move up to 20 mg but experienced horrible mood swings and agitation. After 6 weeks of that, I had enough and decided it wasn't necessary.

For nearly a year I've been dealing with an addict in my life, got a new job, and have been super stressed out. I started taking Alprazolam a lot, just a half milligram but that was enough to help with the anxiety and make me sleep. I noticed that my body started getting anxious when I didn't take it. Well, after nearly 2 months of continually popping Alpraz. a couple times a day, I started getting incredibly depressed on top of my anxiety. I kept thinking the pharmacy must have given me something else besides my Lexapro because it just wasn't working. I was up late at night in bed, crying for no reason, hating life and thinking about suicide. 5 days ago, I started reading up on Xanax and whether or not it causes depression. I found quite a few testimonials about how it did just that. I decided to stop taking it and after about the 2nd day, I started feeling pretty good, got my motivation back, stopped being so horribly depressed. I have other issues to deal with in my life that are causing my anxiety, but I am done with Alprazolam!!! It was just awful, was totally ruining my personal life and my work life. I have never felt so bad in my life. Thank goodness I don't have an addictive personality because I know that many people become addicted to benzos. Not me, it became a "habit" for me to pop one, I thought I needed it, but it just made things worse.

That is my experience and I wanted to share it, in case anyone else is taking Xanax and is feeling the same way.

HC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
(female)

ramal2005 HB User
Re: Horrible depression when using Alprazolam (Xanax)

I have noticed if I take Xanax too often I start feeling quite depressed also!! I have cut back on taking it only when the anxiety is really bad.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User
Re: Horrible depression when using Alprazolam (Xanax)

It works pretty well for me, but I don't take it everyday. Xanax is a drug you have to be careful with. It can easily become a crutch for killing normal feelings of anxiety that you should just deal with yourself. It's better to only use it for more severe anxiety.

Last edited by fossilapostle; 05-27-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Closed Thread