It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

jnn HB User
Unhappy Feel like I don't trust my counselor any more.

Hi,

Ok, this might just be me being paranoid. But I do need your help...

Here's a little background info of me. I am a grad student in my 20s. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression symptoms. I have been seeing the school counselor and it has been going pretty well. I have never taken meds because I prefer not to.
My symptoms do go back and forth. And recently, the school counselor asked me if I had suicidal thoughts and I said I did probably several weeks ago. I can't rememer how we got into that, but I did tell her.

So anyway. Today, I learned in class that psychologists/counselors have to report to the police (or maybe some other facility) if their clients have suicidal thoughts (I am in the US). I started to feel REALLY anxiety and paranoid. I feel like the school police are watching me. Even now I am typing this post, I am actually thinking that someone is spying on my through the internet.

So I feel like I can't tell my counselor the truth any more, and I don't trust her any more. I am afraid that I will be thinking about her "turning me in" while I am talking to her in my next appointment. I don't want to talk to her any more.

Thank you for your patience to read this post. If you have any suggestion, please feel free to tell me. This is really bothering me!

Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User
Re: Feel like I don't trust my counselor any more.

Don't worry, we're not watching you. I mean they, not us. That's a typo.

Seriously though, it was like pulling teeth to get a cop to come out to my house when it got broken into one time. I doubt they've got the anti-suicide squad tracking your every movement.

If you called 911 and said you were going to jump off a building you might get someone out in an hour or two, but short of that I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by fossilapostle; 05-22-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
(female)

jnn HB User

Oh, I LOVE your point! It made me laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilapostle View Post
Don't worry, we're not watching you. I mean they, not us. That's a typo.

Seriously though, it was like pulling teeth to get a cop to come out to my house when it got broken into one time. I doubt they've got the anti-suicide squad tracking your every movement.

If you called 911 and said you were going to jump off a building you might get someone out in an hour or two, but short of that I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

JomBobwe HB User

Ask her. Couple of things - when asked if you had thought of suicide - were the thoughts serious thoughts - had you planned anything.. gone through the motions or anything like that? I answered yes to one of those questions and got a weird response - I wasn't thinking of commiting suicide, I had recently watched a documentary about suicide and it was kinda forfront in my mind.

So, it's something she should be checking up on cuz you're under her care, and she could be liable.... and she wouldn't be in the profession if she didn't care.

Meds? If you were deeply depressed and were to be prescribed a med. and you had serious thoughts of suicide, the danger is that the meds can help activate someone who is serious about suicide - so, it may cause her to tailor her "treatment".

Depression and Anxiety can cause you to be suspicious of others - so, try to remember that. TRY to maybe refashion your thinking that someone cares enough to be looking out FOR your benefit and not looking to sanction or penalize or point you out. And fossilapostle's point is true too.

Last edited by JomBobwe; 05-22-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
(female)

leila20 HB User

I think I'd be paranoid too TBH. Is it possible to find a therapist outside of the school?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

That's not true. First of all...if it would have been "reported" you would have been sent to a psych hospital and had a crisis intervention person interview you and make that final determination and likely stayed there for a few days. There isn't any such thing as telling people just to keep them on alert for what you "might" do. If they report it....it's because they are sure you are going to do it.

It probably varies a little from state to state, but the gist is likely the same. I would say just about everyone that has been to a counselor has mentioned the word suicide. Mentioning it, talking about it...that isn't what will cause dire concern. If you have a plan (not just saying "if I were to do it, this is how I would do it") but something more specific...like "after spring break I'm going to do it" or something like that.

It really has to be specific in most cases to cause it to be reported. The professor that told you that needs to brush up on the procedures. She was way off the mark.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
(female)

jnn HB User

Oh really? I thought they are mandatory reporters of ppl with those thoughts... But do they write down those thoughts on some kind of chart though? I am so worried that someone will read it some day....
I am trying not to talk about those thoughts with my counselor, but for some reason, we just got there, and I don't wanna lie....
I am feeling insecure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiasmama View Post
That's not true. First of all...if it would have been "reported" you would have been sent to a psych hospital and had a crisis intervention person interview you and make that final determination and likely stayed there for a few days. There isn't any such thing as telling people just to keep them on alert for what you "might" do. If they report it....it's because they are sure you are going to do it.

It probably varies a little from state to state, but the gist is likely the same. I would say just about everyone that has been to a counselor has mentioned the word suicide. Mentioning it, talking about it...that isn't what will cause dire concern. If you have a plan (not just saying "if I were to do it, this is how I would do it") but something more specific...like "after spring break I'm going to do it" or something like that.

It really has to be specific in most cases to cause it to be reported. The professor that told you that needs to brush up on the procedures. She was way off the mark.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

Whether or not they write them down is up to them. Today, with the new laws, most therapists don't keep as detailed of notes as they used to. Used to be their "personal notes" couldn't get called into court...but in some instances today they can. Because of this most just are very vague about the notes they keep, both personal and in your file. It's really not that novel to talk about suicide in a counseling session. It happens all the time, and is almost expected, to a point.

Unless you are actively seeking ways to do it...I really doubt they are worrying about your talking of suicide. I"m not trying to make light of it, but it really is very common that people have suicidal thoughts when going thru depression and such. Their job is to ask questions, and some may be uncomfortable-but being honest is the way to go.

"Thoughts" per say are not reportable. There is such a thing as "duty to warn" in which you need to report harm that may come to someone else, but even that needs a plan...time...place... you can't just go reporting people because they say something in a session. Suicide...unless you are actively planning that....I wouldn't worry about talking about it. As I said...if the counselor thought it was a big deal...you'd be in a psych facility now instead of at home.

I would also suggest...talking with him/her about it. See where that ground is...where s/he might make a call...just so you aren't guessing and worrying about this.

Confidentiality is paramount...don't worry about it getting out to anyone. Good luck.

Closed Thread