It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
(male)

Tinman73 HB User
Is depression addictive?

Being depressed almost all my life I have came to realize that the behavior associated with it, is very addictive. When my depression was at its peak I decided to admit myself to an in program specializing in depression and anxiety.

Depression for me was and is associated with negative thinking and negative behaviors stemming from past to present life experiences. I never learned how to deal with them properly and never spoke to anyone either

At the time I was on a high dose of medication and anti psychotics for my severe depression and anxiety. I spent months surrounded by people who were just as depressed as I was, or worse, we also shared facilities with people battling anorexia, drug and alcohol addiction and trauma. Most of the people in the program were very immature and almost child like and the average age was 35 years. After several weeks in the program I felt something strange. I began analyzing the patients and their behaviors and writing it in my journal. Studying there behaviors and actions. I would say that all the patients in the program were on medication. That is when I decided to come off mine. After watching so many depressed people on high doses of medication and still depressed, I new that in order for me to get better I would have to do it with out the aid of medication. I knew it would be hard, but what better place to do it then there in the facility under the watch full eyes of the nurses. I needed to know the truth.

As time went by and my journaling continued I noticed that about 90% of the patients were not very active. Staying in there rooms after there classes were over and only coming out for dinner. Something I used to do!

I decided to hang around the 10% of people that were interested in getting better and to hang around them for the duration. I made the choice that I wanted to get better too. So I did. I exercised daily, ate 3 meals a day, participated in several meeting, attended all my classes, meditated every morning and most importantly told myself several hundred times everyday that “I Loved my self”. What I noticed over a couple of weeks was that my behavior and mentality began to change. The people that I stayed with were also doing the same thing with the same results. What I came to realize that part of my depression came from blaming everyone else for my problems when in reality the problem was me.

Later the group of us noticed that the people that were not seeing any results were those that chose to keep doing there same old routine. So a couple of us had spoken to a few of these people and they basically told us that “it was easier to stay depressed then to work at being happy and content”. One of them even told us that “if I were to stop being depressed I would not get the attention that I am used to”. I came to a conclusion that some people who are depressed are very selfish and self centered and shared the same characteristics of people who were addicted to alcohol and drugs. The only difference was that they were addicted to negative personalities such as I was at one point.

Now I am not saying that all depressed people are the same and to stop taking your meds and God knows I am not perfect but if you truly want to get better you have to make the choice too want to get better. It is not easy and is a life long process, but with hard work, dedication, guidance and perseverance you too can overcome this addiction of depression.

My opinion is that medication should only be a temporary solution to aid us in quest for the truth. Has my life gotten better? You bet but not with out sacrifice.

“Through pain we learn wisdom, through wisdom we learn to live”. What do you choose?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Is depression addictive?

Tinman - this is a fascinating concept. and yes, i think we do have to work at it to feel better. Maybe it is just easier to mope around, but it sure doesn't feel good. But pulling oneself up and doing the exercising, meditation, getting involved, finding interests etc. sometimes IS work and maybe for some the alternatives are just easier.

I think there is something to what you're saying about the addiction, but maybe it's more just not having the motivation to put forth the effort. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
(female)

duliel HB User

Hi Tinman,

I think I replied to a similar question once.
I think one of the reasons feelings of sadness and anger do feel good to a certain extent is because it's a way of communicating something. It's almost like taking a different path to let someone know that you require attention and one of the things that would contribute to feeling good is the expectation that soon you will be looked after and made to feel better. Whether or not someone will do that is not the point but it's also a means of expression of emotion and we all know that feels good! It feels good to get your anger out by punching something even when no one is around, similarly, it feels good to cry even when no one is there. Depression is more complex than I described though, but I still think it's similar in that the person exhibits behaviours (even subtle ones) that are an expression of how they feel when they feel depressed.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
(male)

gemini89 HB User

Hi tinman, I have come to the same conclusion that depression is addictive.. at least it is for me. I honestly don't know what it is that I like about it because I hate it so bad, but I know that I once was depressed and then I came out of it and then I chose to go right back in to it. Since I chose to go back in to it I have been battling the depression every day for almost 3 years. I have done the excercising, I have been to rehab twice, and I have been active. I think that I can say that I have helped myself by doing these actions, but I am still depressed. I have 2 major problems and that is staying in the present and accepting my depression. Do you have to actually stay in the present by living your life depressed? I keep thinking that I have to change my depression first before enjoying the present. Did you have these symptoms? Did anybody have these symptoms?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User

Hi,
I was just thinking myself that I want depression back into life. I think the reason for this is that now that we are living normally, we find that this life is dull. Personally though being depressed and staying depressed helps me to tackle other peoples depression problems because without depression, I just dont get into peoples problems but I myself cant find the motivation to spend the time to help others when I am not feeling depressed. Also life everyday is a challenge with depression which makes every day much more interesting than being healthy. One way of tackling these issues is to keep yourself occupied with work, hobbies, problem-solving or even just doing simple things that you really enjoy all the time.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini89 View Post
Hi tinman, I have come to the same conclusion that depression is addictive.. at least it is for me. I honestly don't know what it is that I like about it because I hate it so bad, but I know that I once was depressed and then I came out of it and then I chose to go right back in to it. Since I chose to go back in to it I have been battling the depression every day for almost 3 years. I have done the excercising, I have been to rehab twice, and I have been active. I think that I can say that I have helped myself by doing these actions, but I am still depressed. I have 2 major problems and that is staying in the present and accepting my depression. Do you have to actually stay in the present by living your life depressed? I keep thinking that I have to change my depression first before enjoying the present. Did you have these symptoms? Did anybody have these symptoms?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

This is such an interesting post! OP, have you ever read anything by Eckhart Tolle and the pain-body? I think that's what you're talking about here in a different way... you feel bad when you're depressed, but at least it's familiar, which is less scary than trying to do something new, delving into the unknown... of course this isn't conscious and people don't think "I'm going to choose to be depressed today..." they don't know they do it, but they do... I wrote a post today too about how most threads here are about medication and side effects etc. Makes me wonder how often people just rely on a pill to make them feel better without working for it, though I'm not pointing fingers here or saying that depression is anyone's "fault," per se.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User

Hi digmusic,
I think the problem isnt the fear of living in a new way, its more like having things to do that previously was not appreciated. So from my experience, I decided to do something in a nice, "happy" way/activity but realised that there isnt much satisfaction in there. Basically the highs of getting out of depression doesnt occur any more and as a result mind is always stable and this can be a little fustrating when nothing sensational happens for a long time. Thus something silly but significant triggers the depression in someone and they fall right back into it.
I hope this makes sense, feel free to put in questions/comments on what I wrote. Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
(male)

Tinman73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenobserver View Post
Hi digmusic,
I think the problem isnt the fear of living in a new way, its more like having things to do that previously was not appreciated. So from my experience, I decided to do something in a nice, "happy" way/activity but realised that there isnt much satisfaction in there. Basically the highs of getting out of depression doesnt occur any more and as a result mind is always stable and this can be a little fustrating when nothing sensational happens for a long time. Thus something silly but significant triggers the depression in someone and they fall right back into it.
I hope this makes sense, feel free to put in questions/comments on what I wrote. Thanks

Hi keenobserver,

Through my expereince I came to realize that depression was mainly part of my thought process and thinking that knowone appreciated me or what I did for them, but in reality I was being selfish because it always revolved around what i wanted and if I didn't have control or get what I wanted then I would go into a depressive episode. Everything revolved around me and knowone else. But the worst part of it was that through these actions I began hating myself more and more which led to anger, frustration and a morbid bitterness towards the world.

The change began when I realized that the world did not revolve around me. I took to much for granted! I listened to my brain when I should have been listening to my heart. I realized that there are people on this earth that have nothing compared to what I have (Which isn't much) and are content with them selves. Why? Because life is not about them it was about others and helping one another. These people have nothing yet they show true humilty. And by showing true humilty there lives were ultimatley transformed into something beautiful.

Depression is and will always remain to be a selfish disease!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman73 View Post
Being depressed almost all my life I have came to realize that the behavior associated with it, is very addictive. When my depression was at its peak I decided to admit myself to an in program specializing in depression and anxiety.

Depression for me was and is associated with negative thinking and negative behaviors stemming from past to present life experiences. I never learned how to deal with them properly and never spoke to anyone either

At the time I was on a high dose of medication and anti psychotics for my severe depression and anxiety. I spent months surrounded by people who were just as depressed as I was, or worse, we also shared facilities with people battling anorexia, drug and alcohol addiction and trauma. Most of the people in the program were very immature and almost child like and the average age was 35 years. After several weeks in the program I felt something strange. I began analyzing the patients and their behaviors and writing it in my journal. Studying there behaviors and actions. I would say that all the patients in the program were on medication. That is when I decided to come off mine. After watching so many depressed people on high doses of medication and still depressed, I new that in order for me to get better I would have to do it with out the aid of medication. I knew it would be hard, but what better place to do it then there in the facility under the watch full eyes of the nurses. I needed to know the truth.

As time went by and my journaling continued I noticed that about 90% of the patients were not very active. Staying in there rooms after there classes were over and only coming out for dinner. Something I used to do!

I decided to hang around the 10% of people that were interested in getting better and to hang around them for the duration. I made the choice that I wanted to get better too. So I did. I exercised daily, ate 3 meals a day, participated in several meeting, attended all my classes, meditated every morning and most importantly told myself several hundred times everyday that “I Loved my self”. What I noticed over a couple of weeks was that my behavior and mentality began to change. The people that I stayed with were also doing the same thing with the same results. What I came to realize that part of my depression came from blaming everyone else for my problems when in reality the problem was me.

Later the group of us noticed that the people that were not seeing any results were those that chose to keep doing there same old routine. So a couple of us had spoken to a few of these people and they basically told us that “it was easier to stay depressed then to work at being happy and content”. One of them even told us that “if I were to stop being depressed I would not get the attention that I am used to”. I came to a conclusion that some people who are depressed are very selfish and self centered and shared the same characteristics of people who were addicted to alcohol and drugs. The only difference was that they were addicted to negative personalities such as I was at one point.

Now I am not saying that all depressed people are the same and to stop taking your meds and God knows I am not perfect but if you truly want to get better you have to make the choice too want to get better. It is not easy and is a life long process, but with hard work, dedication, guidance and perseverance you too can overcome this addiction of depression.

My opinion is that medication should only be a temporary solution to aid us in quest for the truth. Has my life gotten better? You bet but not with out sacrifice.

“Through pain we learn wisdom, through wisdom we learn to live”. What do you choose?

Terrific post

Closed Thread