It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
(female)

magpie1970 HB User
Prozac good for depression and anxiety??

I am currently taking 20mg of prozac for depression issues. I have been on this dose for several months; however, I am now experiencing some anxiety and panic attacks. I have an appt in a few weeks to discuss tome other issued, but I am going to talk about the panic attacks that I have been having.

Is anyone here on prozac for depression and anxiety/panic attacks or is there anothe medication that I should be on? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User
Re: Prozac good for depression and anxiety??

Prozac is an antidepressant. It's not an anti-anxiety drug, though it often does work that way since anxiety is one of the most common symptoms of depression.

If your anxiety is something more than a symptom of your depression though, it may not work for that. Anyway, if you've been taking it for months and it still hasn't helped w/your anxiety, I doubt it's going to start doing so in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

magpie1970 HB User

Thanks, I'll make an appt with the doc for sooner rather than later.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
(female)

Puffin Cat HB User

Dear magpie 1970, yes I am. Never been on it before. Do not notice much difference but have noticed much less panic attacks.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie1970 View Post
I am currently taking 20mg of prozac for depression issues. I have been on this dose for several months; however, I am now experiencing some anxiety and panic attacks. I have an appt in a few weeks to discuss tome other issued, but I am going to talk about the panic attacks that I have been having.

Is anyone here on prozac for depression and anxiety/panic attacks or is there anothe medication that I should be on? Thanks for the help.
Prozac induces anxiety in some folks. Physicians often times prescribe an anti-anxiety med in addition.....My physician switched me over to a tricyclic and dropped the Prozac.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Cowsandcows15 HB User

While Prozac can help some people in reducing anxiety, it can make it worse in some (but then again any SSRI can). Prozac I suppose has a higher chance of that occuring though, because it is probably the most stimulating of all SSRI's. This is because Prozac is "sloppy" and while it mostly works on reuptaking serotonin, it actually gets a little dopamine and norephrine too, so it's not as selective as most SSRI medications. That extra slight touch to dopamine can cause anxiety in some people.

Yet at the same time, because it mostly works on serotonin, it can help some people in reducing/lowering anxiety.

In your case though you've already been on it for a few months and it just started to cause panic attacks, it very well could be the Prozac. Prozac is perhaps the "weakest" of all SSRI's, and the most sloppy, so therefore it takes a long time to build up in your system which is why it may have not had those same effects at the start. This can be a good thing though, as becauses of Prozacs extremely long half-life, it makes discontinuation much better than compared to other SSRI antidepressants.

One other thing - do you drink coffee, sodas, or anything that contains caffeine? I noticed that after being on Prozac now for 6 months, just recently I started to develop anxiety if I drink a cup of coffee or have a few sodas. Before being on Prozac, and towards the start I never had any problems, just recently I noticed it. I was also on klonopin on an as-needed basis, and since I started to have the anxiety anytime I drank too much caffeine/sugar (which I love soda and coffee so I can't help but to drink it) I'd end up having to take klonopin to calm down my anxiety. I actually think this made my anxiety WORSE in the long-run. Sure it helped me for a good 1-2 months while I was on it, but once it wore off and wasn't on it anymore, I was MUCH more prone to anxiety in general. Now I can't even drink a single cup of coffee without having majorly increased heart-rate and anxiety nearly every-time I drink one. I'm more so leaning towards Klonopin being to blame, but there's a chance Prozac could be playing a role in it too. In your case though I'm not sure if you ever where on anti-anxiety meds before or not.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
(female)

Puffin Cat HB User

Dear Cowsandcows15, Very interesting about prozac. What are sodas? Are they fizzy drinks? I do not drink those ,if that is what they are. I like cofee but only have instant now as feeling poor, Perhaps I should have decaffinated? I have never taken prozac before. I would prefer to come off it if it is addictive. I will ask my Doctor when I can come off it. However because of the terrible times when I saw, how can I describle it, films, cartoons, horrific scenes when I closed my eyes and also when I opened them I know that for the moment I am too afraid to come off Quetipane. Perhaps that was Charles Bonnet Syndrome? Have you ever experienced a flash of blue light. It resembles a flash of lightening in the room? I can understand why people feel so desperate and contemplate the 's' thing. I must add to this that I have not seen many films in my lifetime as I prefer ancient books. However I like happy films or funny ones. Therefore the horrific scenes I experienced in my head are not as a result of watching too many films. They were a bit like Edgar Allen Poe 's(with an 'e'?) stories. I must say that quetiapine has stopped 'the voices' and the horror films. To what cost though? Permanent liver damage, that twitchy thing? Thank you and the others for explaining it all so well.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Cowsandcows15 HB User

Yes, soda would be the same as Fizzy drinks/pop. As for the addictive part, where you asking if Prozac was addictive? Or where you talking about the coffee, or maybe even the Quetiapine?

For the coffee part you wouldn't really need to switch to decaffinated coffee unless you are having anxiety. Then again caffeine doesn't cause anxiety in everyone, so if you are having anxiety it may or may not be to blame. Just in general though people who are very prone to anxiety, caffeine often times will make it worse. I never thought coffee or sodas/fizzy drinks would ever cause me anxiety as I drank them all the time through-out my life. Although just as of recent if I even have 1-2 cups of coffee in one day than I will get anxiety that can last for hours and hours. This is most likely due to either Prozac or Klonopin though.

Prozac is more stimulating and acts slightly on dopamine too, and since caffeine is a stimulant that also increases dopamine, that combo can very well give some people anxiety. As for the klonopin I think it just made my body more used to feeling anxiety-free, therefore now that I'm off it I'm even MORE prone to anxiety, so things like caffeine now is affect me even more than before.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
(female)

Puffin Cat HB User

Dear Cowsandscows15, I meant is Prozac addictive? Klonopin, I will look that up. I must admit I am a little afraid of continuing with quetiapine because of the permanant side effects. i.e. the twitching thing and liver damage. However it has stopped the hallucinations and voices. I wonder what alternative there is to quetiapine. I hate taking any medication and have never taken more than an aspirin and blood pressure pills during my lifetime. Perhaps Heuer will know the answer or your good self. I feel one is wandering around on quicksands with all the different types of medication. Thank you for your clear explanations. They have been a great help.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Cowsandcows15 HB User

Prozac isn't techincally "addictive", but some may say any antidepressants are. This is because if you are on them (normally the longer you are on them the more this is true) you can experience withdrawal from stopping. Not everyone gets withdrawals from antidepressants, though. If you very slowly taper off you can help to minimize or perhaps even avoid withdrawal completely. Though Prozac is actually the antidepressant that generally has the LEAST withdrawl problems when coming off it. This is because Prozac has the longest half-life of any antidepressant, meaning coming off it is much easier compared to most antidepressants. In fact some doctors even will put their patients on Prozac when coming off another SSRI that has a really short half-life (Effexor and Paxil for example), in order to help minimize withdrawal.

Klonopin on the otherhand is used for anxiety. If you are having terrible anxiety then perhaps it would be helpful for you, although in reality Benzo anti-anxiety medications you can become quite dependant on, so you really shouldn't take them unless you need them.

As for an alternative to Quetiapine, well, there really isn't a best one. Basically all the medications in the same-class as Quetiapine (such as Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Risperdal, etc) all have the possibility of causing Tardive dyskinesia. Normally people don't experience this until having been on the medication long term (a few years) and even then most don't get this side effect. In most cases if it's causing TD in someone after only being on it for a few months, normally it's recommended that they lower the dose and get off it. Perhaps a switch to a one of the others in the same-class MIGHT not cause TD in you. It kind of sucks having to switch around and find out which one causes the least side effects for you, but having TD after being only on it for a few months isn't really normal and your doctor really should consider doing something. (such as switching).

And for the liver damage, have you gotten your liver checked to see if the meds are causing liver damange to you? If so, then the liver properly is possibly reverisable. I had a "bad" liver and a quite high liver enzyme count for a while, and then I started to take a supplement that detoxes and cleanses the liver. After about 1 1/2 to 2 months or so they rechecked me, and it was completely back to normal. I'm guessing the liver detox really did help. If you take care of your liver (through vitimans and supplements that support it) and make it stronger, then it'll help the liver be able to handle medications better thus causing less liver damage.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #11
(female)

Puffin Cat HB User

Dear Cowsandcows15, You have helped me enormously with your very good explanations. One tends to panic and think one has the beginnings of Tardive dyskinesia. On the leaflet it says involuntary movements of the mouth and tongue. I do not have that. However I have a sort of pulse, a bit like a clock ticking around my mouth. Perhaps that is normal. I will get my liver checked. I really cannot thank you enough, you have calmed my fears, my dread of ending up with terrible twitches. This Board is excellent. It must give hope and comfort to millions. Thank you so much. I hope you feel well today.

Closed Thread