It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Weird Question, but Has Anyone Had Allergic Reaction to Abilify &...

Everyone, abilify was the only add-on to lexapro that worked for me, but my tongue swelled and i had to go off it...

i'm so frustrated because it worked for me...helped my mood sooo much!

The weird question is i was wondering if anyone had a reaction to it and tried it again and was okay? I'm sure once you're allergic, you always are, but I had to ask--that's how desperate i am again to feel better.

I can't believe no one else on the boards had an allergic reaction to abilify...i haven't heard from anyone.

Are there any other add-ons to an SSRI--i just had to go off of lamictal because it was making me ill and even more depressed.

Thank you so much,
Salty

Last edited by salty; 07-12-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: added

Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Weird Question, but Has Anyone Had Allergic Reaction to Abilify &...

Hi Salty,

I've been taking Abilify as an add on to Zoloft since last February. I never had any problems with it. I do agree, it helps with my mood considerably.
I would be very leary of trying it again because if your tongue swelled up, your throat could close up. Isn't there another add on besides Abilify? Seems to me there is but I can't think of the name.

I hope you find something that works for you. Best Wishes,

JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wish you knew another one, JB...i think the only other one is lamictal and i'm on that now...slowly titrating up and nothing so far.

I can't stand this...can't believe something finally worked for me (i've been trying for sooo long) and i get an allergic reaction...just not fair.

If you think of the name, please write.

Thank you for posting. I'm glad it's working for you w/o any problems.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 07-11-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
(male)

someboddy HB User

Is Seroquel of any help? I've taken it for some time now mainly just to get to sleep but due to cost need to switch and my doc says abilify. I'm not encouraged due to the reactions of many.

What was good about it? Swollen tongues aside, of course. Mind you a swollen tongue would stop me touching a med ever again!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

someboddy, does the seroquel lift your depression? i tried it a long time ago and all i remember is it made me tired.

Abilify brightened my mood a lot...it's the only thing besides lexapro that ever worked...i know, the swollen tongue thing is an allergic reaction and i'm crazy for even thinking about ever using it again, but i'm so desperate to feel better mentally.

I wish others would reply if they had an allergic reaction--i'm wondering if it's the med or what's mixed with the med (the way it's made that makes me allergic)?

They don't have a generic yet as far as i know. The very first time i tried it i was scared of it because it's listed as an anti-psychotic and my dr. thought it wasn't for me, but i kept telling him about the ads i was seeing about it being used as an add-on for ADs.

I went off it the first time because the side effect list scared me so much (especially the raising of blood sugar). It was the second time i went on it, i noticed everything was brighter after about 5 days. I had been taking benedryl to help me sleep and that's what kept the allergic reaction from happening right away.

Does your dr. think that the seroquel is equal to abilify? That gives me hope if he does because i just had to go off the lamictal--it was making me sick--flu like symptoms and making me more depressed.

I'm not exactly sure if it works on the same neurotransmitters (dopamine and serotonin). Do you know?

I've tried reading some about it and i originally thought it did, but then i read it doesn't help w/dopamine. I really don't know. What did your dr. say?

Please let me know anything you can...i want to feel better so badly...the depression is bad again.

Came back to add this...what's w/all the lawsuits and seroquel, any idea?

Thank you so much! Really looking forward to hearing from you...thank you for bringing up the seroquel because as i said, it's giving me some hope.

Salty

Last edited by salty; 07-12-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: added

Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JB, i'm getting ready to post, but i have to go off the lamictal...it's making me sick...have had flu-like symptoms since i started it and thought it might be from that, but now that my depression is worsening, i can't take that and have to go off of it.

I also disliked being on the antibiotic due to the acne from the lamictal. It's just not right (once again) for me.

I hope you can come up with the med you were thinking of.

Thank you,
Salty

Old 07-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Salty, have you tried Wellbutrin as an add on? I have not, but I know it is used as an add on to other AD's sometimes. I may have been thinking of Pristiq, I don't know much about it - it might just be a regular AD.

JB

Old 07-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JB, i tried all the WBs a long time ago and they made me so jittery...funny you should mention that though because i was thinking about maybe trying that, too.

I always do that when the depression is bad.

I wish i could get some more responses to my posts...trying to figure out if seroquel is similar to abilify or what is the closest thing to abilify.

Thank you for writing,
Salty

Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
(female)

blindinggreen HB User

BELIEVE ME I know how you feel, I've looked up the Abilify allergy and it's super rare. I actually took it for a week and a half or so with Lexapro actually and I broke out in hives all over my entire body and had to stop. I know this was a long time ago that you posted, but it did wonders for me as well, even gave me energy. I don't know if you just have depression or bipolar, but I am now on Welbutin (300mg) with a Topamax (100mg) kicker. Most doctors tell me the Topamax isn't enough to really do anything but it makes a big difference. Also if you are bipolar, some doctors will suggest against Welbutrin because it can cause mania, but sounds like you were taking all the same things I was and they did the exact same thing (I took Lamictal for a short time as well, didnt work at all) So if you are still looking, maybe give these a shot. Hope I helped!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hi there Tinkerbell45 here. I read your post and wanted to respond to you about the serqueol and the abilify. I absolutely could not take the serquol because it gave me a VERY rapid heartbeat so the dr took me off of that. She the tried adding abilify to my depakoteER 1500mg and 40mg of prozac but it made me gain a bunch of weight in a SHORT period of time.They had tried me on topomax in the past which I felt i was going to get the BEST benefits from but it turned out i was allergic to it,it broke my whole body especially my face out in MAJOR HIVES so i had to quit that one BUMMER!!!! Nice chatting with you until next time TAKE CARE and feel free to write back at anytime.

Tinkerbell45

Closed Thread