It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

milankundera HB User
BRAIN FOG and depression?

For the past two months or so, I have been enduring brain fog, fatigue and depressive symptoms that gradually seem to be getting worse. For a while, I began to believe that I had developed a form of depression that was not psychological (the symptoms were not caused by, nor did they create any problems with self-esteem, hopefulness, etc). It simply seemed like a chemical imbalance in my brain that made me feel so gloomy and closed off.

However, I have experienced several instances of very natural happiness and elation where I feel like my old self--YET the brain fog is still prevalent! Generally the next day I am feeling depressed again. Is it possible to suffer from any form of depression (e.g. Major Depressive Disorder) and still occasionally have very good, productive, happy days?

Old 07-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
(female)

wifeofaprince HB User
Re: BRAIN FOG and depression?

are you receiving any treatment for your condition? There are many levels of depression, and Bipolar disorder. Just like other diseases which are "mild" to "extreem." I have happy and sad days, even with treatment. Often if you cannot put your finger on why you are sad, your symptoms are clinical, or chemical.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

milankundera HB User

No treatment yet; I am getting an MRI tomorrow (I hit my head in early May 2009, which could be contributing to these feelings) and if that comes out fine, I'll be seeing a neurologist and possibly a therapist to narrow down other possibilities.

I'm starting to think that it is not depression anymore as recently I have experienced an increasing number of happier days.

The brain fog is still prevalent, but is fluctuating--sometimes so severe I have to lay down and take a nap, and sometimes I can function completely, but am aware of a slight difference in my perception of things.

However I am open to any possibilities, because right now it could still be anything.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
(male)

someboddy HB User

Hello,

Could I just say to you that "brain fog" is not a medical condition of any kind and is simply an expression used when people don't know what's wrong.

If you analysed the symptoms that make up what you call brain fog you would most likely find it is a combination of many depressive symptoms. Things such as inability to enjoy what you did, lack of concentration, lack of motivation, inability to communicate, inability generally to function at the intellectual level you did previously. Even inability to read comes up too.

When you put these together it seems too hard to list the various bits so you say "brain fog".

To me it is critical you do not use that term as you have already identified it as a medical condition when it is not. This will make the doctors role much harder as you "already know" what is wrong. You don't else you wouldn't be asking here would you?

You say you began to believe you had developed a form of depression that was not psychological. Not possible as all depression is initiated by thoughts we have which create feelings and reactions.

Even if you say it's a chemical imbalance it is still specifically psychological because ut is our thinking that the chemical imbalance affects.

Can you see that? For those that develop depression through environmental events ( like me ) the chemical imbalance is created which creates the negative thinking.

I can see where you are at. You are suffering something you don't understand and have tried to find out yourself what it is. Believe me, every single person who has depression tries to find another reason or cause. Anything other than depression. I did, you are, everyone else here did too.

I laud you for thinking about it and trying to get to the bottom of it on your own but suggest you'd get there a lot quicker if you saw a GP first and described your symptoms. By all means continue using the term Brain fog if you wish but he aware it is a summary of other symptoms, not one on it's own.

Is it possible to be happy whilst suffering depression? You clearly think not and so do most of us frankly. We all picture a depressed person as sitting staring blankly or screaming and crying all day and night.

The truth is it fluctuates with severity. I was a couple of years ago so down I finally agreed to hospital. Whilst there I only spoke to other depressed patients and you know what? None of us talked about depression and all we wanted was to find common ground, shared experiences and make each other laugh. Sadly it was one of the better times for me in recent years.

But I was there because I was so down wasn't I? Yet I was up early, out and about, talking to others and laughing most of the day.

Even at home these days I have good days and bad days. On good days I do laugh, on bad days I sleep a lot.

Having good days as you describe can lead to a thought you may be referring to bi polar where moods fluctuate from great highs to great depths. But that's not what you describe as I read it.

It's normal until it becomes extreme. But a doc is who you need to talk with about it.

Try not to think depression is a weakness. It's an illness, nothing more. It's not your fault if you have it and you can work your way out of it. But first you need the guts to find out, face the truth and deal with it instead of wondering and justifying what you feel in other ways.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
(female)

APA1953 HB User

As someone who has had what I would call serious brain fog for several years, I empathize with you. You very well could have a nutritional deficiency of some sort or a biochemical imbalance. There are clinics that will work with you to figure out if you have a vitamin deficiency, allergy or other environmental or metabolic cause for the sudden onset of the brain fog.

For me, the brain fog partially lifted when I started taking vitamin D in therapeutic doses. I found 5000 units/day works well for me. I worked this out with my physician.

B vitamins in general can help a lot. My nutritionist loves Emergen-Cee, an over the counter do it yourself fizzy drink.

I started taking a methylfolate supplement (Deplin) recently, and it did wonders for clearing up the fog in my brain. I have posted about this elsewhere so I will not go into it here.

Some swear by omega-3 fatty acids in relation to brain function. I lucked out on this one because I am overweight and cannot tolerate statens -- so my doctors insist on me taking Lovaza (omega 3 fatty acids) because they are concerned with my cholesterol metabolism. I get any benefits it may have on brain function as a bonus.

Sometimes what I call brain fog is related to allergies. Decongestants can help clear the head of the cobwebs. This is especially true for me right now as the grass pollen levels are high and the temperatures have been over 100 degrees for over 3 weeks!

I encourage you to find someone who can help you work out your health issues and improve your mental acuity! Clear thinking is a good aspiration for us all!

Best wishes!

Last edited by APA1953; 07-19-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: poor grammar

Closed Thread