It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Anyone Add Wellbutrin to Your SSRI & It Helped Depression?

Hi again everyone.

I tried the WBs years ago and they made me very jittery, but I am thinking about trying WB XL with my lexapro.

Has this worked well for anyone (combining WB w/an SSRI) for depression?

What WB did you take-XL, XR, was it name brand or generic?

Also, what dosages were you on for the WB and the SSRI?

For those who know me on the boards, I'm at the end of my rope again, running out of ideas, researching constantly and ending up nowhere.

Going to make a drs appointment soon...

As always, i appreciate any suggestions--any help before I go.

Thank you very much,
Salty

Last edited by salty; 07-15-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added & changed

Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
(female)

Capecodgirl74 HB User
Re: Anyone Add Wellbutrin to Your SSRi & It Helped Depression?

I added Wellbutrin XL (name brand--NOT generic) to Lexapro 5 m.g. I had taken Wellbutrin generic previously and it was not pretty. I was worse off than before I had started taking it--anxious, angry, just a mess. This time, I was on Lexapro for about 4 months and felt I needed a boost because I felt better than I had with no meds, but still sleepy and just blah all the time. I added wellbutrin xl, making sure I had the name brand this time (i'm sure you've seen the generic nightmare stories, as had I) and it really worked great. About three weeks into adding the Wellbutrin, I dropped the Lexapro because I had gained about 20 lbs in the four months I had been taking it for and was looking to lose it. Let me tell you, I felt fabulous with the mix of the wellb/lex, but I think that was the "honeymoon" period you hear about. I haven't felt AS great on just the wellbutrin as I did on the combo, but I feel pretty good, better than on just the lexapro alone, and the weight is starting to come off. Yipee!! BTW, I am on Wellburtin XL 150 mg.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!!

Last edited by Capecodgirl74; 07-16-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: add mgs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, Capecodgirl74, i have been waiting for any responses, thank you sooo much! I was determined to go back on the WB XL (name brand) and then i read about the panic attacks, anxiety and trouble sleeping.

Any of this w/you? I have anxiety to begin with and take generic klon.

I have been wanting to go on a med that hits all 3 neurotransmitters and WB seems like the only one. I'm having a hard time researching because my int. provider is having problems.

I had a drs appt set for yesterday and cancelled because i was afraid of all the anxiety and trouble sleeping.

Please tell me more...i was (am) soooo happy to get your post! I have a little hope again.

hugs,
Salty

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
(female)

Capecodgirl74 HB User

I have issues with anxiety as well (little kids, stressful job and on and on)and take xanax as needed for that. I usually only take it at night, maybe a half of a .5 mg pill. What made me feel comfortable adding the wellbutrin to the lexapro was my dr telling me that the lexapro will signifigantly diminish any anxiety the wellbutrin could cause. He was right. I was wary and had what I think was some psychosomatic anxiety the first day, but that was it. I took my xanax with me everywhere for the first couple of weeks just in case. I figured that if I started feeling too jittery, I would just take a xanax. I also cut my caffeine intake to one cup of regular first thing in the morning and a decaf iced coffee a little later in the morning. I don't eat anything sugary in the morning bcause it throws my blood sugar off and makes me off for a good part of the day, so I really especially make sure I stay away from sugar in the morning now. I did find that I had sleep issues off the bat. I would wake up at 4 a.m., but it wasn't really a bad thing. I got more done without a three and five year old following me around. I started walking in the morning again, too. I did find the sleep issue evened out in a couple of weeks and now I will sleep until 5:30 a.m. or so. I pay more for the name brand wellbutrin xl by about $50 per month, but I feel it's worth it. All in all, the side effects were not too bad for me. I am hypersensetive to meds, too. It took me about two months to build up the nerve to actually take my first pill of wellbutrin, but I am glad now that I did it. I, like you are trying to do, did some extensive research before I took it. That can be good and bad. It made me more nervous. Not telling you what to do, but I would try it and commit to giving it at least two weeks barring any signifigant side effects that can't be handled by your klonopin.

It is a tough jump and only you can make that decision. It worked out pretty good for me, though. If you have more questions on my experience, feel free........

Old 07-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Capecodgirl74, you are so nice. Thank you very much for all you wrote. I really appreciate it. I think i'm going to take that leap again.

Your post gives me hope again. I'm going to make an appointment w/my dr. soon and try the XL again.

You said you're on 150mg. right and you stayed that way? So far so good? Why don't you go back to taking a little lexapro? I was the same as you w/the weight thing and then it went away. As you can see i'm on a pretty high dose of lex. and have been for a long time...i have no weight problem.

I think i was feeling so much better on the lex. when i first started it years ago and i just ate more because i wasn't so depressed. But that didn't last long. It wasn't like i couldn't control it, i just started to not eat so much junk and then i was fine.

I just want you to feel your best and if the lex. did that for you, i hate to have you give that up...i swear i don't have any weight problems because of it...kind of makes me wonder if it's working at all now though because maybe my body just got so used to it? i'm too scared to give it up because as i said it worked wonders for me right away.

I wonder if he will keep my lexapro the same...i'm at 40mg.

I'm med-sensitive too and i'm the same as you w/the sugar thing in the morning...i don't use caffeine.

I can't tell you how hopeful your post has made me...i feel like it might work this time.

Thank you, dear! Could you just clarify if you are still on the 150mg. when you get a chance? And i will make sure i get the name brand.

I'm so thankful to you!

hugs,
Salty

Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

Hello. I have depression and anxiety. I have tried several meds, but once I started Lexapro it was pretty much my wonder drug. It almost completely controls my anxiety and I have virtually no side effects. I feel like it works pretty well, but I seriously lack motivation to get out of bed in the morning. I feel like I have NO energy, and I used to fall asleep at work and then on the couch at home every day.

My doctor pushed me to add Wellbutrin to my Lexapro. I took the generic for regular Wellbutrin years ago and it was a nightmare. I had the most bizarre side effects (blurred vision, tremors, tinnitus, headaches, anxiety, NEEDING to eat ice cream every day). I said "never again."

So the doctor put me on ritalin, saying it is used to help treat depression and would improve my energy. I am no longer falling asleep all the time, which is wonderful, but people are always so shocked when I say I take ritalin. it makes me feel like maybe I shouldn't be taking it.

Maybe I SHOULD try Wellbutrin with my Lexapro...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
(female)

APA1953 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Anyone Add Wellbutrin to Your SSRi & It Helped Depression?

I took Wellbutrin with Effexor for several years. They both helped for a while, but my anxieties and inability to focus eventually got the best of me and I had to go on medical disability. I continued on both drugs for some time, but never felt able to function enough to even leave the house very often. (I was a mess.)

I have done a lot of trial and error (doctor supervised) and have had a few successes and tried some stuff that turned out really quite badly. It was very frustrating.

We (my docs and me) eventually found a regime that worked well without causing too much lethargy. I still had some anxiety about social situations, but I wasn't crying all the time and I seemed to be sleeping better. In April, my doctor added Deplin (methylfolate) to what I was taking and WOW! It has REALLY helped my attention deficit and anxiety and I seem more in control of my emotional responses (moods). It really is like someone turned the lights on in my brain.

Deplin is marketed to be used with antidepressants. Check out the info on their website to see if you think it is worth discussing with your doctor!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

Thanks, I will check it out. I try to stay up to date on mental health issues, but I've never even heard of that medication until today.

I feel like my moods are controlled very well, but I just struggle with energy, focus (I've never looked at it in an attention deficit sort of way, wow) and motivation. And then i have to take meds to sleep. How silly is that? Maybe I just need a night job :P

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you found something that has made such a difference for you. I feel like I need that too - the lights being turned on.

I think I need to switch doctors too. The one I am seeing does not seem to be very competent. I doubt he has even heard of this med.

Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MrsLee, i'm asking my dr. for it Thurs. I sure hope he's heard of it.

I'm also considering adderall or ritalin (even though i'm scared) if the deplin doesn't work.

I was also going to ask if I could try WB XL again (if the deplin doesn't work).

What dose of ritalin works for you? I was on provigil and it worked so well--I had to go off it because of the headaches. I really wish i could have stayed on it.

Know anyone on adderall? If you could let me know about both of them before Thurs. afternoon, that would be great.

Thank you,
Salty

Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

Salty, I take 10 mg of Ritalin, which I think is a pretty small dose. It keeps me from falling asleep during the day but doesn't give me a lot of energy. Good luck with your appt, and I hope you find something that works well!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone. No deplin, my insurance will not cover it and it's over $200.

I was shocked.

My other scripts were messed up, so who knows when they will get straightened out.

Thank you, MrsLee, i'm trying to get the correct dose and script for adderall, everything went well AT the drs, it was after i left when i was at the pharmacy that all the problems happened.

Hugs,
Salty

Closed Thread