It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Do Vitamins help Antidepressants work better ?

I read this, on several websites. Vitamins help your AD work better. Has anyone noticed this, or heard of this ?

Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
(female)

HappyEl HB User
Re: Do Vitamins help Antidepressants work better ?

Hi.
I believe so, yes. As vitamins help get rid of the nasty stuff in your body.
Hope this helps! xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

APA1953 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Do Vitamins help Antidepressants work better ?

I used to be a bit of a skeptic about vitamins and supplements, but have had so much positive results of late that I am a true believer.

B vitamins in general can help with energy levels and mood, whether or not you are taking anti depressants. One of my physicians is a registered dietician as well as an MD. She really loves vitamin C and B vitamins. When I get the shots at the clinic she works at, I do feel energized. Many popular energy products are loaded with B vitamins, so there must be a lot of folks that think they help.

Vitamin D has been found to be helpful with Seasonal Affect Disorder. My physician likes to call Vitamin D a pro-hormone, which he believes more accurately describes its function. Vitamin D supplementation is a hot topic right now and there are books available. I found vitamin D to be very helpful in managing my own mood disorder and depression. I found a good on-line distributor where I can get this at a very affordable price.

As I have posted in other threads, I was recently prescribed Deplin (methyl folate). This is a biologically active form of folic acid and is the form of folic acid required for the brain to regulate neurotransmitter (serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine) production properly. Consequently, having methylfolate around in sufficient quantities to allow our neurochemistry to function properly is really a good thing! Anyhow for some folks, especially those with problems with folate metabolism (deficiency or problems making methyfolate, etc) taking Deplin really helps with mood stabilization. There is evidence that many people find it helpful to use Deplin with anti depressants. It is a prescription medical food, so, if you are interested, talk to your physician about adding Deplin to your treatment. I found taking 15 mg per day is helpful. My copay is the same for 7.5 (once daily) or 15 mg (twice daily) dosage. You might want to check out the Deplin website or get the link so you can refer you physician to it.

Anyhow for me, the results have been dramatic. I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression several years ago and have been on medical disability for over three years. A year ago, I was concerned because I had trouble completing sentences and only left the house when I had to buy food for the dogs or cats -- once a week at most. My anxiety and depression kept me cloistered from the world.

I worked with some very good physicians trying to find the root cause for my inability to function and, if that was not possible, at least come up with medical treatment that would help. It was very frustrating. Some things I tried seemed to have no effect at all; some helped with the dark edge of sadness and despair; others seemed to make things worse. It was tempting to give up -- or settle for treatments that masked symptoms but really did not help me be all that I know I have the potential to be...

I started vitamin D supplementation in January and found that it helps me significantly. I started using a timed release 5-HTP supplement to help manage serotonin levels. I tried 5-HTP before, but was on different medications at that time and it did not seem to help, so I quit taking it. This time it was different. The 5-HTP had a noticable impact. With the vitamin D and 5-HTP, I found I was sleeping better and was not darkly depressed. My doctor also suggested that I try niacinamide (a B vitamin) to help with mental focus. I found a good source for 1500 mg timed release niacinamide and since I "missed it" when I ran out, I think it helps. Unlike niacin, niacinamide does not cause flushing and -- well niacinamide is what was recommended for my problems with my attention span/mental focus.

Although I was doing much better, I was still not enthusiastic about life. I was not as anxious about leaving the house, but I wasn't confident that I could navigate the simplest of social settings, so I remained pretty much house bound. My physician had suggested Deplin in January, but we decided to hold off til we figured out which of new things we were trying were helpful. In March, I decided to ask about the "new folic acid" he had mentioned. I checked out the Deplin website and pondered their claims and decided to give it a try. Honestly, I was not expecting much. I was dealing with some other health issues for the first month I was on Deplin, so it was difficult to access how much it helped me initially. By the time I filled the prescription for the second time, it was clear something wonderful had happened.

My situation is still pretty dismal -- I mean -- I am fat old lady who has been on medical disability for three years recovering from/managing severe clinical depression. I am not on the top of anyone's social calendar! Until recently, I lived in constant anxiety over what would happen to me if I lost my disability funding. After less than three full months on Deplin, I am looking forward to becoming a productive, social being again. I have a lot of work to do to get there -- but at least I feel that I can do the work it will take to become healthy again. This is a HUGE change for me.

I do not know if the things that have worked for me will help all of you reading this. Some of them might help some of you. However, I think it is important that we all know that it is not hopeless. Do not give up. Keep working with your health care providers to find what works for you as a unique and wonderful individual.

Now that I have my wits about me, I can do all the things I learned about for having a healthy life. My doc prescribed physical therapy for me -- and I get a month of PT with a therapist to show me how to exercise and then a free month in the gym. I even talked my PT into THREE sessions next week. And for someone that had trouble making it out of the house at all -- this is big! I also have started water walking with a friend from "before my dark time" who is happy that I am out and about again.

A nutritious diet and regular exercise are so important for good health -- and I know they are both critical in managing depression. Unfortunately I was too sick to exercise for many years.

Having a positive attitude and developing good social skills and spiritual nurture are all very important in managing depression as well -- but -- until I got some help at a metabolic level -- I could not pull this off! Now I can work on it!

When we are messing with our brain chemistry and products that alter neurotransmitter levels and function, we are talking SERIOUS business. I think it is very important to have qualified folks helping us assess our progress and the efficacy of the products we try.

Much luck to you all!

Last edited by APA1953; 07-19-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: crrected spelling error (assess)

Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvoor View Post
I read this, on several websites. Vitamins help your AD work better. Has anyone noticed this, or heard of this ?
A growing number of researchers say the primary mechanism of action for ad's is a placebo effect. The actual active ingredient in the drug is secondary....Vitamins may help, perhaps the placebo effect is a factor too.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
(male)

someboddy HB User

Hi Cvoor,

Answer = NO. They do not help A/D's work better. Individual vitamens do have their uses and can help certain aspects of your health and energy and so on. But they do not work with A/D's as a supplement in any way. If that were the case doctors would be handing them out with A/D prescriptions now wouldn't they? And they don't.

In thirty years of seeing doctors about depression not one has ever suggested vitamens at all, let alone as a supplement.

( the remainder of this post removed by the moderator )

Last edited by moderator2; 07-30-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: please do not discuss or debate other replies - we call it "cross talk" - post only to the thread originator

Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
(female)

APA1953 HB User

There are volumes written on the impact of nutrition on mental health and well-being. There is also a growing amount of evidence for the benefits of vitamin supplementation in the treatment of mood disorders with or without the use of antidepressants. Check out the medical journals as well as many books in the popular press. This being said - some reports are merely anecdotal with no real scientific evidence. In other cases, there is hard science.

Anyhow -- my personal experience as well as my review of the scientific literature on the subject strongly suggests that vitamin supplementation is certainly worth trying.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Folate has been recommended by some psychiatrists since the 90's to take with anti-depressants. Try that, no harm done if it doesn't work.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
(male)

Bonds81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by APA1953 View Post
There are volumes written on the impact of nutrition on mental health and well-being. There is also a growing amount of evidence for the benefits of vitamin supplementation in the treatment of mood disorders with or without the use of antidepressants. Check out the medical journals as well as many books in the popular press. This being said - some reports are merely anecdotal with no real scientific evidence. In other cases, there is hard science.

Anyhow -- my personal experience as well as my review of the scientific literature on the subject strongly suggests that vitamin supplementation is certainly worth trying.
The hormonal effect of vitamins is documented also. Vitamin C has the most dramatic impact on my mood. I juice whole fruits and veggies. Sunlight helps too.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
(male)

goalsOF2007 HB User

From personal experience I have to say NO.
The articles That I read in the past say in a slight mild manner, yes they do.
I take vitamins for other reasons!!

Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
(female)

MollyMayB HB User

I do not know about vitamins making antidepressants work better, however a lack of certain vitamins such as vitamin D can intensify depression. Individuals who have not been diagnosed with depression even feel down from of a lack of Vitamin D which we normally get from the sun. This can occur from lifestyle habits that keep individuals out of the sun or it can happen during different parts of the year such as periods where it rains a lot or snows a lot and the sun is blocked by clouds. This is often referred to as seasonal mood disorder. Vitamin D is a great supplement to take if you suffer from depression.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

I do not believe there is a definitive answer due to inadequate study. Personally, I would not rule them out because of this.....Vitamin D deficiency is indeed something to consider.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Cowsandcows15 HB User

I wouldn't say that they help antidepressants "work" better, as the two won't work together to cause a better anti-depressant effect.

But a deficeny in vitamins (such as multiple B vitamins, D, C, etc) can have an impact on your general health, energy, and even mood to a slight degree. I've never really been much of a fan of "natural treatments", but in reality taking vitamins isn't really a "natural treatment". You won't rely on vitamins to help treat depression, no, but rather you take them to better your overall health, energy, and just make yourself feel slightly better overall because your body is getting the PROPER nutrients that it needs.

So they kind of in-directly help. If you have a high-quality multi-vitamin supplement, then by all means take it.

Think of it this way: If you eat only foods such as doughnuts, candy, soda etc then how will you feel? Probably not too great. Although if you eat healthy and get all the nutrients your body needs (water being one of them), then chances are you WILL at least feel better in terms of energy, and overall health feeling. Which if your depressed, then taking care of your physical health (by getting the proper nutrients your body needs) while in addition to taking care of your mental health (through antidepressants, therapy, etc) can only help. If your depressed and your physical health is bad at the same time, well for some people they'd consider that to make them more depressed, so techincally improving your overall physical health along with mental health may make it feel like it's "helping depression more".

Last edited by Cowsandcows15; 09-01-2009 at 03:33 AM.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I totally agree with you, very well said. I take a womens multi vitamin every day, along side my antidepressant, it has extra b vitamins, and ginkgo, and i feel so much better, since i've been taking it. I've tried other multivitamins, but this one, I can really feel a difference

Closed Thread