It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

shefab HB User
Exclamation Coming off Pristiq

I cant decide which is worse: being on Pristiq or coming off it. I am tapering down and its only been a couple of days.

If "pulsating dizziness combined with what feels like a series of small strokes" makes any sense, that is what I feel like. Maybe these are the 'brain zaps' I have heard others mention.

I do not like this.

The following user gives a hug of support to shefab:
CycleInPink (10-04-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to shefab For This Useful Post:
belinda57 (10-10-2011)
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
(male)

ExtremelyWired HB User
Re: Coming off Pristiq

The reason you are having bad withdrawal symptoms weaning off Pristiq, is because the half life of Pristiq is very short - around 11 hours. You will probably find it much easier to wean off Pristiq over several months. The longer the better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

shefab HB User

My doc told me to taper down over 3 days! No wonder I feel like the walking
dead. I've been on it for 4 months - at first it was great, then it stopped working. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
(female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User

Why did you decide to stop the Pristiq? I have been taking it and have had terrible side effects. I think I need to stop taking it.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
(female)

shefab HB User

My blood pressure was getting really high after I started, and my hands shake alot. I sometimes work in surgery so the shaky hands was the actual deal breaker.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
(female)

jenk123 HB User

Im just past my first week of the Prisiq withdraw and it outright sucks. Im taking 50 mg every other day and Im haveing those brain zaps all the time now. It wasnt as bas(though) still there the first few days and this weekend, they just wouldnt quit, so I caved and took my Prisiq at bedtime instead of in the morning cuz I felt like I was going to die. I dreaded waking up to the zaps in the morning. What are you going to do? I was so upset at church today that I cried the whole time feeling like a failure. I just want off this stuff but it seems like its going to be impossible. It was just suppose to be short term. Boy have I learned my lesson. Any advise, cuz Im just suppose to finish out my 2 cards doing every other day and I just dont see this getting any better, only worse. HELP

The following user gives a hug of support to jenk123:
pristiq6104 (08-08-2011)
Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
(female)

gurliegoop HB User

I recently took pristiq 50 mg for 2 weeks and WOW...no fun at all. I am shakey, weak, dizzy, cant eat, practically feel like i am dying. I also have cried and cried thinking this is not going to get better. i wake up every day hoping i am going to be even a little bit better and when im not, i get so upset. weening off of it is said to be the best way to get off of it but i dont even want another mg of this in my system. I have stopped pristiq for 3 days now and my doc said it will take up to 2 weeks to feel better. pretty frustrating since i have already not been able to do ANYTHING for almost a month now. this is literally ruining my life. you will not feel any better until you get this completely out of your body. do not keep putting this in you. the more you take the longer it will be till you are free from this hell on earth.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
(female)

life70 HB User

i have been taking pristiq 100mg and lamactil 300mg (generic version though) for about 2 years now. i really would like to come off of it as well. but i have tried many times and i just cannot. my dr said it is against his medical advice, and that i have a chronic condition. the meds and dr visit are very expense, and without insurance i am not going to be able to afford it. i am so so scared about what is going to happen to me when my insurance runs out.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
(female)

gurliegoop HB User

I also have a chronic condition with no insurance. If you write the company that makes pristiq (Wyeth) usually they will help you by giving you sample packs and other ways. Most companies will work with you. Also your doctor can get sample packs and supply you with them. That is what my doc does for me. I know pristiq doesnt have a generic yet but for your lamactil they have lots of $4 to $10 generic programs at places like CVS and Wal-mart.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
(female)

life70 HB User

thanks, i double checked with CVS, Wal-mart and Pathmark. They do offer lamotrigine. thanks anyway. i will contack wyeth directly. i would really like to just get off this medication all together. i have tried and it is terrible, maybe I will start doing every other day and see how that does.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
(female)

life70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by life70 View Post
thanks, i double checked with CVS, Wal-mart and Pathmark. They do offer lamotrigine. thanks anyway. i will contack wyeth directly. i would really like to just get off this medication all together. i have tried and it is terrible, maybe I will start doing every other day and see how that does.
Looks like I left out the word not--They do NOT offer lamotrigine. My only option at this point is to come off this terrible medication. It's not helping anyway, I am still terribly depressed, so what's the point...

Old 11-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
(female)

njmother HB User

I am currently in the process of coming of Pristiq, after only 2 months of taking it. I was put on Pristiq as a substitute for Effexor, and the withdrawal from that was hell. I was told that the Pristiq would not cause adverse effects when coming off..not true! I am so sick...diarrhea, nausea, vomitting, loss of appetite and weight loss, but worse than that is the severe bouts of depression and anxiety. I have panic disorder which is the reason for the meds in the first place, but this drug withdrawal is way worse than the actual disorder! I have completely lost daily function and have needed round the clock supervision for myself and my kids. I am on day 7 without the Pristiq now and have been taking a low dose of Zoloft to get that going. Can anyone offer hope?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
(female)

jenk123 HB User

Dear njmother,

Im sorry to hear about your withdraws. I have been there, man those first few weeks of not taking Prisitiq were hell. My worst problem was brain shocks. They happened everyday for 2 weeks or better. I had to just finally quit Prisitq cold turkey because it almost seemed like I started the withdraw process over every other day. I even felt worse when I took the prisitiq during my withdraw. I was more panicked all day and didnt want to do anything. Maybe you just shouldnt take the prisitq anymore. I am still taking valium as needed for the severe panic attacks. I am a mother of 5 and you know as well as I do that you cant keep being dependent of other people. You gotta pull yourself together. Pray alot and tell yourself, I REFUSE to let this withdraw RULE me. Force yourself to get up and do something new everyday that puts you a little closer to being back on your routine with the kids. Have the kids pray with you as well. I didnt hide my withdraw from the kids. I told them I needed there help to come off of a medicine that the doctors thought would help me but didnt. I was perscribed the med for panic too. I coulda went on something like zoloft too, to help the withdraw but then I thought that leaves me depending on something else again. I didnt want the fake and tired feeling everyday. It doesnt work like that for everyone and Im not downing all antidepressants, just Prisitq. Do what you doctor says but you know you best girl. Im also taking the vitamin called Stress Formula and it has all the B vitamins in it, I can definatley tell a difference. Please dont give up. You have such a purpose for your life, not one called of fear. A friend also suggested reading Max Lucado's new book called Fearless.
My most recent panic was at the movies over the weekend. I was halfway thru New Moon and started to feel myself freak out. I had to take a valium and really talk some sense into myself. It was hard but I did also find some humor in the situation later. I mean c'mon I freaked to New Moon. All those wolfs jumping and stuff. You could call that one really good movie in my eyes lol. My sister couldnt believe I freaked like that either. I felt like I was going to pass out, I got so hot and anxious. Im telling you that cuz there are times when the panic still gets to me and it seems like no one understand and I feel guilty for it. I will be praying for you and your kids. I hope things get better and will be praying for you.

Closed Thread