It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

mmKay HB User
risperidone?... seriously?!

I've only been on Wellbutrin for a month and I do feel better.. but still pretty down most of the time. I went to the doctor today and he said to keep taking the Wellbutrin but also an SSRI. But thennn.. I told him something that's been going on. I have conversations replaying in my head over and over again. It's not important conversations or anything.. and I don't know why certain ones are the ones that keep repeating.. but I told him anyway. So he said instead of whatever else he was going to give me he was going to give me Risperidone. I thought it was an SSRI since I had never heard of it so I said fine, I'd try it. I got the medicine and didn't check it til I got home and saw that the paper said ANTIPSYCHOTIC. I don't think I'm psychotic. The fact that he thinks I'm psychotic is making me more depressed, though. Has anyone else taken this medicine for depression?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

Gia029 HB User
Smile Re: risperidone?... seriously?!

I was treated for ppd with Paxil and then things kind of got worse. My doc put me on Risperdone to control the suspicious thoughts I was having. I find the combination of meds works for me altho I would not consider myself Psychotic. I was simply having unrealistic thoughts and Risperdone helps keep that under control. I really hate the label antipsychotic but that's just a name. sp The main thing is that you are comfortable with your thoughts and if Risperdone helps you that is a positive thing. It also helps me with my sleep as I have had only a couple of restless nights since going on Risperdal.

Last edited by Gia029; 02-18-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

mmKay HB User
Re: risperidone?... seriously?!

Thanks for that, I feel a little better. I do have sleeping problems and have been taking Ambien just as long as the antidepressants. He said he doesn't want me to have my sleep depend on a pill but right now would rather have me take it than not sleep. Honestly, I'd rather be hooked on Ambien than risperidone. I'm seeing him again on monday, so we'll see how that goes. By the way, did you gain weight while taking it? I know it's one of the side effects and that alone makes me not want to take it. I know that's shallow but I worked really hard to loose weight (by eating healthy and exercising) and I'm at a point where I feel comfortable. Gaining weight right now would not help lift my mood -_-

Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
(female)

Gia029 HB User

yes I gained 90lbs but I would rather be fat and in my right frame of mind than skinny and out of my mind!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
(female)

mmKay HB User

I don't feel like I'm out of my mind though..

Well, some people loose weight with the Wellbutrin but I've stayed the same. Hopefully the weight loss side effect of wellbutrin will counteract the weight gain one of risperidone and I'll stay the same haha

Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

mmkay-

I'm just now reading your thread for the first time. Quite frankly, your doctor putting you on Risperidone for hearing 'conversations' in your head disturbs me and I'll tell you why. Tell me, did you ever hear these conversations in your head before going on Wellbutrin? The reason I ask is because when I was on Wellbutrin, I heard voices that would wake me up in the middle of the night. Prior to taking it, I never experienced that. My best friend at the time was also on Wellbutrin and the same thing was happening to her. Consequently, when I went off that med, the voices went away. I looked up the side effects for the drug and sure enough hearing voices was listed under 'rare' side effects. Oddly, the doctor never informed me of this possible side effect.

As a side note, I was placed on Risperidone in the past as an add-on along with my Effexor because the Effexor alone wasn't helping my anxiety. I was told that an antipsychotic taken with an antidepressant would help my anxiety. It did for a while, and then it didn't, so I had to go off both and go on Prozac. I am not psychotic either. I didn't experience weight gain from Risperidone. However, I did experience muscle twitching and spasms. I'm sure you've read about this side effect. I was only on it for a few months, thankfully. I'm now not on any meds at all and couldn't be happier with my decision. The only way I'll go back on any mood meds again is if I'm suicidal.

Last edited by kittywitty; 02-18-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
(female)

mmKay HB User

I tried looking it up but I just found things about hallucinations, hearing made up voices. What I hear are conversations that I've actually had, i just don't know why they keep replaying.

I've only been at this for a month but I already want to quit all these medicines. Seriously, I feel like a guinea pig, just being stuffed with whatever they can think of. My depression isn't the kind that comes out of nowhere, and I'm seeing a psychologist to deal with my issues. I'm taking the first dose of the risperidone tonight.. if I get any kind of side effects I'm not going to keep taking it. I don't see the point of getting like 10 side effects from trying to fix 1 thing. I'm seeing the doctor on monday though so I'm going to bring up the fact that it might be the Wellbutrin causing it.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #8
(female)

Gia029 HB User

I didn't know I was out of my mind, sometimes it takes someone else to notice that your thinking is not straight.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mmkay -

Oh, I see now. Well, then it's a relief to know your doctor probably isn't trying to medicate a side effect. What you're experiencing sounds more like obsessive thoughts to me. I've had problems with that because of my ocd. Prozac helped me with that.

I often felt like a guinea pig as well when I was on meds. I used to call it the 'medication merry-go-round' because it seemed like they would never find the right med or combo of meds that worked. It seemed I would never get off the ride. Prozac was what finally worked long-term for me. After eight years, though, I couldn't stand the side effects anymore, mainly hairloss and being an emotional zombie.

I've had clinical depression and anxiety/ocd all my life. I'm 39. That's good that you're seeing someone. Meds tend to be more effective when combined with therapy.

As far as the risperdone goes, I wonder if the reason for your doctor wanting to prescribe it is that maybe he thinks you're bipolar? It's commonly prescribed for that. Again, though, it sounds more like obsessive, repetitive thoughts to me.

Sadly, all meds have side effects. You just have to find one that has minimal ones. I'm very sensitive to side effects, though, even with natural things so I've chosen to just not take anything. It'll be interesting to see if your doctor acknowleges the 'voices and hallucinations' side effect of Wellbutrin. My guess is that he won't because it's considered rare. If you would, please share with us what he says. I'd like to know.

Last edited by kittywitty; 02-19-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
(female)

Gia029 HB User

I had no side effects excepty for the weight gain and the doc predicted the weight gain and sent me to a dietician. That didn't work because all of a sudden I started enjoying food more than I ever had in my life!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
(female)

mmKay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia029 View Post
I didn't know I was out of my mind, sometimes it takes someone else to notice that your thinking is not straight.
haha very true! I didn't think I was clinically depressed until my psychologist pointed out that a bunch of things I thought were insignificant (not sleeping, hungry all the time, excessive fatigue, concentration problems, etc.) were actually pretty disruptive to my life if I saw them all as being connected. And he was right, I do feel different after the antidepressants...

but anyway, about the risperidone--that's a no-go for me. I took it thursday night an hour before I had to take Ambien (because I thought they might react if I took them at the same time) and friday I woke up feeling like CRAP. My alarm rang and I always run to turn it off but as soon as I stepped off my bed I almost fell over because the world was spinning. I turned off the alarm and sat down; I had an awful headache, nausea, and my whole body was so hot it felt like it was on fire. I thought I was going to puke so I went to the bathroom, but I was so dizzy I had to hold on to the wall to get there. I didn't puke, I just washed my face and then I had some crackers because I thought it'd calm down my stomach. I took tylenol for the headache and went to sit again hoping the dizziness would go away. For half an hour I sat next to my trashcan because I had the worst nausea and my room would just not stop spinning. The fingers on my left hand were twitching too. I called in sick to work and went to sleep. I slept til 3 in the afternoon. I still had the headache and nausea, and I layed in bed for another 2 hours, then the dizziness stopped. I was able to get out and make something to eat but the whole day i was soooo sleepy as if I hadn't slept for a week.

Needless to say, I didn't take the pill again. I refuse to. I can't (financially) afford to call in sick to work anymore and I don't want to spend all day sleeping. I'm not a lazy person and I had a lot of work I had planned to do on friday that I couldn't. We'll see what my doctor thinks tomorrow.

By the way kittywitty, when I read your post about the obsessive thoughts I thought of something I had read before.. rumination! Why couldn't that be it, isn't that common with depression? Plus, I've been having problems with my short-term memory. I don't forget things that happened, but I can't remember stuff I read. What if my brain is just repeating conversations because it's trying really hard to make a memory so that I don't forget it? haha I don't know how brains work or anything but I'm going to tell the doctor my hypothesis

Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
(female)

Gia029 HB User

I certainly don't blame you for not taking the risperdone with those kind of side effects. I didn't have any side effects like that but it does make me able to sleep all day if I chose to. It doesn't persay make me tired, just I am able to sleep anytime. It definately puts a damper on my motivation if I let it.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
(female)

mmKay HB User

Welll here's what happened at the appointment.. :P
As soon as I sat down he asked me how my sleep had been with the risperidone. (Too, too long haha). But yeah, I told him all the side effects and he said it was definitely too strong for me. He apologized for putting me on something that made me feel worse, which I thought was very nice of him because I've never had a doctor apologize for anything before. He said he wanted to do what he had originally thought, to add an SSRI. I told him I wasn't sure I wanted to take it so we talked about it for a while and I said I'd try it but if I get start seeing anything out of whack I'm going to stop. He said that was fine with him.

So yeah.. now I'm taking Celexa along with the Wellbutrin. He said that the repetitive thoughts probably had to do with the fact that I can't concentrate on whatever I'm doing, so it's just something else my brain is doing to get distracted. I'm not completely satisfied with that answer because this isn't the usual distraction I used to get when I'd start daydreaming or thinking about random things.. it's something I can't control. Maybe the Celexa will help though, who knows?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's terrible about the Risperidone. The only side effects I had while I was on it were tiredness and some twitching. Sounds like what happened to you was more of an allergic reaction. It's good that you're doctor listened to you and apologized. You're right, they're not usually like that. I've had my fair share of dingbat doctors, believe me!

I think obsessive, repetitive thoughts are common with depression, especially negative ones. We keep replaying the same tapes in our heads. For me, though, like I said, a lot mine are related to my ocd. The Celexa should help you. The ssri's usually help with repetitive stuff. I've been on other ssri's before, but not Celexa specifically, so I can't comment on it. The memory loss you're having is most likely due to the depression. Strangely, though, the Prozac made my short-term memory much worse. By the way, you didn't mention what your doctor had to say about the audio hallucination side effect of Wellbutrin. Just wondering.

Last edited by kittywitty; 02-22-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
(female)

mmKay HB User

He didn't think it was the wellbutrin. I'm not really sure when the repeated conversations started, I just know that it was recently that they started to become more and more frequent. I didn't have any other side effects that I can trace to the wellbutrin and since it did help a little he wanted me to keep taking it. I started the Celexa last night (starting out @ 10 mg) and didn't have any side effects today! I was scared because I've been reading everyone's horror stories about different meds and I didn't want to go through that again. Hopefully this one will work though.. I just hate that with antidepressants you have to wait WEEKS before you know if it's going to work or not -_-

Closed Thread