It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

chesapeake girl HB User
Effexor - any help on this drug is appreciated.

My dr. wants me to try it.

I am not severly depressed - just feel kind of down, no energy, could care less if I do something fun or not....but still function o.k.

I have read terrible things about coming off of this med - but my dr. says it is not true. That he can bring me off of it without a problem???? I'm really tore about what to do
Live feeling kind of blah, or take my chance with this?????
Prozac doesn't seem to do a lot - actually I think it is making me feel rundown...

Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

sarah408 HB User
Re: Effexor - any help on this drug is appreciated.

My doctor wanted me to try an antidepressant and I finally gave in.
I was put on effexor. That was 2.5 years ago.
Effexor works well for some and not for others. For me it works very well and I am happy I take the stuff because I havent had another bout of depression since starting on it.

Everyone is different- so if you try it you'll find out if it works. Yes it's supposed to have difficult withdrawal symptoms for some people but docs who are doing a good job will recognise this and wean you off slowly. I was just talking to a friend tonight about effexor- she was on it and came off it without any problems at all. Everyone is different.

Cheers! Sarah
P.S. I did have side effects for many weeks but by about week 6 things settled down and I felt my mood lifting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

My wife has been on effexor for several years. The doctors throw this prescription at so many people for so many different reasons. She had heart palpatations. She still has heart palpatations. But she has been trying to very gradually take herself off of this highly addictive effexor. It is a nightmare that nobody should have to go through. They really try to downplay the addictiveness and say that you just have to gradually get off of it. Most people that get on this garbage have to stay on it for life. FOR LIFE! My advice to you is to run as fast as you can away from this garbage. Do not let the pharmaceutical industry rewire your brain. Your body has the potential to fix anything that is wrong with itself. You need to feed your body what it needs to fix itself. Proper nutrition, vitamins, minerals, extra vitamin D, and extra calcium. When you cut your hand, your body heals itself. This simple fact is a miracle in itself. No pharmaceutical drug can do that. The same rules apply if anything else in your body isn't functioning properly. Pharmaceutical drugs have CURED nothing since the 40's with polio. That alone is a very chilling fact that is never mentioned in our money controlled media IV. Pharmaceuticals treat symptoms, they NEVER cure anything. There's no money in cures. Only treating symptoms. Go to any pharmacy and ask for them give you a list of all of the CURES that they have. You will then be aware of what is going on. My advice is, feed your body what it needs to heal itself naturally. Your body's DNA is the ultimate doctor within. Take a few minutes and do a little search on any search engine. "Vitamin D benefits", "calcium benefits", "coral calcium", "vitamin deficiency", "mineral deficiency", etc. Feed it the Calcium and Vitamin D and the other nutrients that it needs to function at 100%. It will fix the problems within the body. Do not become another victim of the effexor addiction.

Last edited by Lyneteck; 02-27-2010 at 07:47 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Will I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB User

Hey there! I agree that medications work well for some and not for others. Unfortunately effexor made me worse. I would never take it again but some could say the same about Cymbalta, which has worked wonders for me. It's hard to take a chance at something that you don't know will work. My side effects for effexor were much worse than others AD's I've tried. Heart racing, crazy anxiety, shaky, etc. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. This is not saying you will have those effects. A friend of mine was successful with Effexor.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
(male)

Waffles93 HB User

I was on Effexor for about a year. The medication seemed to be helping for a while, but my depression worsened and the Effexor was replaced with Nortryptiline. I had also heard horrific things about coming off of Effexor, but I did not have any negative side effects whatsoever.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
(female)

zoranm HB User

i started taking this med a few months ago and WOW what a difference it has made in my life! i think this med though should be given to those who have a lifelong/genetic pattern of mental issues and not someone that can be given something a little less "dramatic" if i were you i would try celexa. I was on it for 5 yrs then it just stopped working for me, either way almost ANY med like these when you try to come off of them is a struggle and not nice but i am not planning on coming off of it because i believe i will always need meds like these for the rest of my life. If you think this is just a "phase" in your life right now you may want to try something over the counter or like i said a newer more practical med as i think effexor is harsh for someone who doesn't feel like they are going insane lol like i did! but it has worked wonders for me, still have my bad days but i had little side effects going on it which i was surprised about...celexa though worked really well for me and can be given in low doses. Either way pretty much no matter what you take you will withdraw when coming off of it and it is not pleasant...good luck

Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
(female)

dawn910 HB User

I take effexor and it is very difficult coming off this. but i have been on mine at 325 mg. i was being titrated of of it 50 mg at a time and then I had a bad reaction of twitching, slurring speech, nausea, and in bed for weeks and when i saY 3 WEEKS I ONLY GOT UP TO GO TO THE BATHROOM. IT WAS HORRIBLE.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

susan55555 HB User
Angry Re: Effexor - any help on this drug is appreciated.

I quit taking effexor in 2007 because I was sick I had been on it for 7 years and was sick the last two. I had no idea it was the effexor making me sick it was not till I quit I started to get better. Then six wks after I stopped taking it BAM a severe delayed withdrawal took hold of my life and I suffer still from the effects. Dont' take it or any other ssri.
There are reports of people taking antidepressants for physical things that have nothing to do with psych issues when they try to quit boom they get depression and anxiety tho they never had any psych issue before the antidepressants google it you will find out for you self. Look up withdrawal too it can be protracted lasting years.
< edited > Thre are apparently 30 pages of side effects from effexor it is called side effectsor on other pages. This drug made my life almost unlivable it is a struggle to keep going but I will not let withdrawal beat me.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-12-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
(female)

Joy33 HB User

I have bipolar II disorder, and I take Effexor with Lamictal in the morning and at night. Just Lamictal wasn't enough for me and I've had very bad experiences with SSRIs, but I've finally been feeling great while taking Effexor. I did have a period when I couldn't fill my prescription, and oh boy was it bad. Shivers, chills, dizziness, felt like my head was detached from my body. So make sure that if you go off it in the future, you do it properly under a dr's supervision!! I find it make me sleepy, so I make sure to have my morning coffee right after taking it! I've never slept better, though!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Hi Sarah.I think you should give it a try if your dr. suggests it. It may have bad effects on some people,but everyone is totally different.I do well on Prozac but have had problems on Paxil.
My husband took Effexor,and he said it neither helped nor hurt, that he felt no different.Same for when he quit the drug cold turkey.Said he never noticed any withdrawals or weird feelings.
If it doesn't go well with you,you'll probably notice almost right away.From what I've heard it seems to have a stimulating effect,so it may help with the run down blahs you are feeling.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
(male)

bien HB User

“I am not severely depressed - just feel kind of down, no energy, could care less if I do something fun or not....but still function o.k.”

Boy does that sound familiar!

Doc put me on Effexor for the same reason, but……

I found out it wasn’t depression, it was psoriatic arthritis causing the extreme fatigue and making me think that I wasn’t interested in anything anymore, but I was so tired and achy, I just didn’t wish to participate.

Enter the Effexor. Up to 375mg for a year and not feeling any better, just anestitized, loopy and fatter (50# more).

It took almost 3 months to titrate off the stuff. I bought a gram scale and empty capsules and lowered the dosage about 25mg every couple of weeks. At first I just stopped cold turkey and boy, was that a mistake! Brain shivers, nausea, headaches, body aches. I can remember even my hair seemed to ache! That’s how bad withdrawal was for me.

It is said that many who are placed on this drug fire the doctor that gave it to them for putting them through the hell it causes.

In all fairness, I’m sure it helps many people and many people have little or no withdrawal symptoms.

But please, please give this drug careful consideration before you decide to try it.

Best wishes to you!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

My Dr told me to just stop taking Paxil and it'd be fine to go cold turkey. Yes he was wrong, way wrong! Oh and coming off Cymbalta? Ouch! It was worse and I hadn't been on it long at all, like 10 days. Again, was told to stop cold turkey. They lie!!

I think everyone is different. There are risks with any medication. But if it works, I don't worry about when I'm going to get off it, I'm just happy I have low side effects now.

Last edited by AnotherDayDone; 04-25-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Posted to wrong thread!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
(female)

zoranm HB User

i am still taking this and it really bothers me that people bad mouth it as much as they do....then again some people speak more of something that they knew as bad and not as much good is spoken about positive things...just like many things in life either way whilst being on it i no longer freak out, no more stress migraines, no panic attacks, no palpitations and i have LOST 40 lbs!!!!!! which i gained whilst being on a different med! i have tried pretty much everything under the sun, the worst for me was paxil and prozac...i knew after 1 dose there was NO way i could take it constantly! the reaction was that bad but the ones i have taken worked well i either thought i was better and went off of them only to discover i NEED something like this or after years they stopped working. I really hope you ended up finding something you like and it is like anything in life you stop that your body is use too and can get a reaction from...it is how it helps whilst your on it that matters, so this shouldn't be taken to get over a "slight hump" in your life

Old 10-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
(female)

AceofHearts HB UserAceofHearts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan55555 View Post
I quit taking effexor in 2007 because I was sick I had been on it for 7 years and was sick the last two. I had no idea it was the effexor making me sick it was not till I quit I started to get better. Then six wks after I stopped taking it BAM a severe delayed withdrawal took hold of my life and I suffer still from the effects. Dont' take it or any other ssri.
There are reports of people taking antidepressants for physical things that have nothing to do with psych issues when they try to quit boom they get depression and anxiety tho they never had any psych issue before the antidepressants google it you will find out for you self. Look up withdrawal too it can be protracted lasting years.
< edited > Thre are apparently 30 pages of side effects from effexor it is called side effectsor on other pages. This drug made my life almost unlivable it is a struggle to keep going but I will not let withdrawal beat me.
I have been on Effexor for a year now and in that time the beginning was amazing, i started to feel so much better after the first few days. So I continued to increase, all the way up to 150 mg. This was not my first antidepressant, by far, so this was the "last hope" it felt like for me...so I pushed through the side-effects, the constant sweating, withdraws if I took it even a few hours later than the previous dose (if that makes sense). Besides, I was feeling so much better, compared to the other meds ive tried.
I also have PMDD, and a few months ago (4-5 mo.) I started getting really bad thoughts of suicide about 1.5 wks before my period. I always had extremely bad pms but this insanity. I could not control my emotions, I would scream and cry for no reason. I had the cops called to my house. I started cutting myself really bad (I've NEVER cut myself, ever) and hurting myself in other ways too. During this time I was on a month long waiting list to get in with a psychologist. I ended up having to wait 3 months to see him because my symptoms kept me from leaving the house. when i finally saw the guy, he told me he thought maybe I had borderline personality disorder...im sorry, but hes full of ****. But he did prescribe me Lamictal, and after learning everything i could about it, I decided to try it. I've been taking it for about 2 months, and my life is getting back on the right track...Ive also been getting off effexor at the same time, I'm currently taking 37.5 mg effexor and 200 mg lamictal. Anyways, this is just my experience with effexor. I would have never even taken it if I had known what would happen, I dont think Ill ever take another SSRI or SSNI, its too much risk for little chance of results :/

" This drug made my life almost unlivable it is a struggle to keep going but I will not let withdrawal beat me"

I really feel for you, I thought I would end my life because of the side effects, and I almost did...effexor tore my life apart. Without the support of my husband and our families, I dont know what I would have done. I never want to take another drug that controls me like effexor did.

I hope you are doing much better

Last edited by AceofHearts; 10-11-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
(female)

shantybaby HB User

hey, dont know if you will read this because its a little old your post. anyways, did you end up going on it?
i went on it about 8 years ago after i had my first child because i was borderline agoraphobic, and suffered anxiety and generalized depression.
It worked really well for me, and still does, but i feel like im not the same person as i used to be. i have 4 children now, and i was able to go off of it when i was pregnant with my second child, but went back on it when i felt like i was going to go crazy after i had her, well here i am 6 years later still on it! I hate how dependant i am on it and if i miss a dose i feel the diziness and nausea like crazy. i mean it works, but i hate the dependancy i have on this stuff...
i wouldnt reccomend anyone going on this as a starter, please look through your options and see what you would think is best for you.
its funny because when i started this drug it was a newer one, and the dr said it was the best on out there etc, now when i talk to him, he tells me never to go off of it on my own without other meds to come off of it, and its the most addicting ssnri to come off off.... lovely.

Closed Thread