It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) for depression

I am always iffy as to the best place to post as one ailment isn't always the lone ailment. However - I think Depression is the one common denominator is most of these troubles.

I have posted in the past about my frustration with the help I have (n't) been getting for all of the symptoms I seem to have. I was also very angry that my pdoc did not believe me when I called to tell him I was withdrawing from cymbalta and was in a VERY bad place. I have also had some situational outbursts in the past few weeks as well. All and all it has been a rough road lately.

Last week I finally got in to see my pdoc. He apologized up and down as he explained that he had been looking at the wrong date on my chart when I called about the withdraw. He thought that I had stopped the cymbalta in 2009 and that I thought I was STILL withdrawing from back then. Please. However, I was just so relieved to finally be validated and to know I wasn't crazy...and I was exactly right. Since then, the withdrawal has pretty much passed I think. But I have been left in this deep depression with bouts of major anger and irritability - especially in the 2 weeks prior to my period. I take 450mg of wellbutrin. And this does help SOME of the depressive symptoms, but certainly not all. I also want to mention that I have lost about 8 lbs since stopping the cymbalta. Drs kept telling me it wasn't causing my inability to lose weight. BS.

Ok. So, before my appt, I knew his next suggestion to me would be lamictal. It only made sense considering my past med history, my remaining symptoms and the fact that it works well for my brother. It does sound like a great med, but I have a bad history with health anxiety and I knew that sitting there waiting to be hit by Steven Johnson's Syndrome (a possible side effect) was so NOT going to go over well with me. So I researched my booty off the night b4 my appt. And I came up with astonishing info on N-acetyl cysteine.

It has been suggested to me by a friend that I may be on the bi-polar spectrum. Soft bipolar is what they call it I guess. Where it is mostly just the depressive states and the manic comes out rarely and in atypical ways such as anxiety, anger, etc. I had never thought bi-polar was my issue as I never experienced what I considered to be a manic state.

N-acetyl cysteine has been shown to work better than lamicatal and other similar meds in the treatment of bipolar depression. It is also beneficial for many other ailments and disease prevention. I printed out what I had found and handed it to doc. He looked it up on his sites and appeared shocked and quite pleased. It was a definite that that was the new plan for me. This is a medical supplement OTC and is quite cheap. I got 5 bottles #120 for 28 bucks. It just arrived today so I cannot attest to anything yet other than my immense HOPE. I feel this is close to the last resort for me. It HAS to work.

I will be taking 600mg capsules 2 times a day and then move it up as needed/tolerated to no more than 2.5 grams a day.

This was long, I know. Sorry. But I would LOVE to hear your thoughts!!!!

Thanks for listening!!!

Heather, 36

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
(male)

shoki kalra HB User
Re: N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) for depression

hello
I was in the same boat upto about 4 years back as u r now. I went for self studies and found out that there is nothing like like soft bipolar. Bipolar is a major brain diseas chaactarised by alternating cycles of manic (emotional Hyper ) and lows (depressive ). As there r mood changes very frequently, it is sugessted that a strong dosage of mood stabiliser is required with soeme a/d. Ihad been sugessting my findings to many doctors, with no response. finally a doctor, gave me a heavy dose of lithium. It gave me bad shakes. I had to change my doctor. He put me on valporic acid Lamitor, which is a combination of mood stabiliser and a/d. The combination brought the melise under control.

By no means, I am claiming that I on my own brought my deppression under claim or there is no role of psychatrist. There is, but it is prudent to locate ur doctor who works with ur findings and his knowledge. I am sure that ur findings will bring positive reasults.
best of luck
luv
shoki

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-09-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Removed Quote, please use "Quick Reply" rather than "Quote Reply"

Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

wenke44 HB User
Re: N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) for depression

I am very interested to hear about your experience with taking 600 mg. of NAC twice a day. I am also putting a lot of hope into this supplement and would like to hear yours and any others' stories. Thanks.

Closed Thread