It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
(male)

economike HB User
Cymbalta vs.Zoloft

Hi All:
New to this board; no sage advise to share (yet?) but need help evaluating efficacy of various meds.
Have been on different meds for years to combat depression--sometimes diagnosed as bi-polar. My feeling is that the downs are real but can't remember any "highs". Operating at a stable but very low level of performance--well below potential and past levels of achievement.
Switched from 100 mg zoloft daily to 60 mg cymbalta a month ago.
No discernable differerence. Any and all reactions welcome.
Call me "Curious".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Cymbalta vs.Zoloft

It is difficult to compare medications as everyone tends to be effected differently. Have you had all other medical problems ruled out like anemia or thyroid issues? Welcome to the board
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
(male)

economike HB User

Thanks, TR, for the welcome. Yes, other condions such as you mentioned, have been ruled out. I'm dealing with nagging depression and long term fatigue. As a retired person with limited challenge in his life, I find it increasingly difficult to cope with simple decisions in daily life.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

I've been on both those meds. Everyone reacts differently of course and I hear each med only helps 50% of the people who take it...

For me, Zoloft made me tired and more suicidal. Cymbalta was THE worst AD I ever took. I had blurred vision so bad I couldn't drive, constant yawning, no sex drive, anorgasm, various body parts sporadically jerked uncontrollably, hallucinations, constant shaking so bad I couldn't eat a bowl of soup unless I put the bowl to my mouth, nightmares, night sweats.....I think I had them all. Then when I went off it, it was a nightmare...Mind you this was only like 10 days of it! I'm glad you're having a better time of it!!

I'm currently on wellbutrin, ativan, trazodone, gabapentin (those are just the dailies) and today my psych added pristiq. So we'll see. I think I've tried all the others lol

Have you looked into the of borderline personality disorder? Bipolars have highs and lows, not just lows I've read.

I hope your current meds work for you!!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
(male)

economike HB User

Wow! ADD you have had more than your share of side-effects.
My story pales in comparison, tho I do share the drowsiness, yawns and overal blahs you describe. Hope your current meds help you.
Thanks for taking trouble to post.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

Thanks economike!

So far so good. I started the Pristiq at night till my body adjusts which I think it has started to do since instead of passing out 30 minutes later, I'm up all night WITH sleeping pills! So guess I'll start daytime tomorrow; see how it affects me. Its a lot of work taking ADs!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
(female)

1wholuvsbooks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by economike View Post
Hi All:
New to this board; no sage advise to share (yet?) but need help evaluating efficacy of various meds.
Have been on different meds for years to combat depression--sometimes diagnosed as bi-polar. My feeling is that the downs are real but can't remember any "highs". Operating at a stable but very low level of performance--well below potential and past levels of achievement.
Switched from 100 mg zoloft daily to 60 mg cymbalta a month ago.
No discernable differerence. Any and all reactions welcome.
Call me "Curious".
Hi! economike this 1wlbks,I can share with you my story alittle info:I have been taking Effexor XR 150mg for 7yrs, started low dose and worked up to that, it worked for me, felt like a bright new future ahead more positive thoughts,more energy.Well a few times forgot to take and had real bad depressive days to follow also what I'v heard called "brain zapps" disoriented and crazy thoughts.It scared me alot.Last year the depression got worse while still on med and saw a pychriatic doc to possible change or up med.We decided to up med so took 225mg of Effexor XR.That left me real jittering and zoobie like,couldn't remember little things and felt some brain zaps.Also very expensive to get even with mail order pharmacy.So tappered off and went back to 150mg and saw pycholigist again talked things out and determined to stay on 150mg I am also going thru peri-menopause which as a guy I think you don't want to know about but I hope to someday tapper off and then stop taking this med altogether but not sure it can happen. One thing I believe is are bodies and or brains become depended on them and then, well we will see. take care.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
(female)

caltripp HB User

I tried both Zoloft & Cymbalta. Zoloft made me spacey and Cymbalta made me dizzy. I now take St. Johns Wart on a regular basis and it really helps me with no side effects. I take 1000 mg p/d (2 - 500mg caps). I feel more positive and even tempered when I am taking it. If I forget to take it for a few days, I get depressed & irritable again. If you haven't tried it, you might give it a shot. We went on vacation for a week and I forgot to take it. When we got back I had a severe depression attack. I started taking the SJW again and after just 2 days and noticed an improvement in my mood and feelings of well being. It's made a real difference for me.
They say that it can reduce the effectiveness of some meds. So if you are on any major medication (other than the depression stuff) you might check with your dr. I do take a regular medication, but it has not reduced the effectiveness of what I take.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
(male)

peaceseeker2 HB User

Hello. Welcome to the board. I have been away from it for a while and decided to take a look at it since it has been a while since I last visited. I am on Cymbalta 60mg once daily along with bupropion sr(generic Wellbutrin SR) 150 mg 1 tablet twice daily for my depression. Cymbalta has been one of the best antidepressants that I have been on and I have been on TONS!!!!!!! of different ones. One of the big pluses for me is that is seems to cause very minimal sexual dysfunction for me. With many of the others I dealt with some degree of one or more of the following at one point or another with many of the other antidepressants: erectile dysfunction, anorgasmia, and anejaculation. I am also on anti anxiety medication as well, but, as you indicated that you only switched from Zoloft about a month ago, it may take up to six weeks or even a little longer before you notice benefit. If you don't, consult with your prescriber and perhaps bumping your Cymbalta dosage to 90mg daily might be helpful. As mentioned earlier, as I am sure you have heard and read repeatedly, everyone responds to different meds differently and it is a matter of time, patience, determination, and hope to just stick it out until you find the right "pharmaceutical cocktail" that works the best for you. It took me several years to find mine that worked and had a side effect profile that did not make my life intolerable. Good luck to you and keep us updated on how things are going.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
(female)

rubyjt HB User

God, I am finally getting off Cymbalta.....what a mess........made me sick as a dog ...I was literally nauseous for 3 1/2 months and kept thinking it would get better. Not only that, but I had this awful taste in my mouth all the time...plus the extreme fatigue that forced me to call in sick innumerable times. I gave it a good shot, but after years of wonderful results with Prozac (20 years), Wellbutrin and Lexapro, I was really beside myself.

My dr just put me on Zoloft (today) and I"m hoping this will not be as much of a problem. If I had to, I could endure some nausea for a couple of weeks, which I hear is one of the side effects of Zoloft.

God, depression can be such a curse.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
(female)

1wholuvsbooks HB User

Hi, Ruby, I'm 1wholuvsbooks, hope you are feeling ok. I was wonering why you decided to change your meds for depression? I'm on Effexor and have been for 7yrs, I have been thinking of tapering off from it but I'm really affraid of the withdrawl effects.If you could tell me if you had any serious effects when you switched from Prozac to Cymbalta and how long it took, I would appreciate your in put.It's true I believe suffering from depression can be horrible.Not just once in awhile saddness, but deliapating(spelling?) impossible to overcome life altering event.I'm doing fine and think maybe I can face life's ups and downs med-free.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
(female)

rubyjt HB User

I didn't have any problems switching from Prozac to Cymbalta at all.....I switched because Prozac pooped out on me. As much as I dislike taking drugs, I would never go off pills because the thought of going back to that horrible, debilitating depression is a nightmare to me.

Switching took me only 4 weeks in total.......

Good luck to you.

From what I hear, getting off Effexor is a tricky thing and must be done very gradually. You should probably ask your doctor about it before you do anything....safer that way.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
(male)

Needzzzs122 HB User

I was on cymbalta for 2 months, had no trouble falling asleep, went off cymbalta because
it does not treat OCD. Now on Zoloft (25mg) for two weeks then up to 50mg in the am.
Having trouble falling asleep, doctor put me on Ambien 10mg enough for 30 days, but can't
take it indefinitely. Cymbalta makes one sexually dysfunctional. Zoloft appears not to be as bad. Thank You

Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
(female)

criddick HB User

Come to think of it, I also have been diagnosed with diabetes so I never knew if my shakiness was from panic or sugar...I was nauseous quite a few times on Celexa and Lexapro but never thought it was that, just not eating or didn't want to eat cause of meds. Started Z today so let's pray it's the miracle!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
(female)

criddick HB User

I've been on Ambien for YEARS...started just a few days a week, to weekdays only, then to everyday basically. I hate the night and dont want to go to sleep but can't sleep if I'm alone during the day so...it works for me but the longer you take it, the less effect it has quickly. First pill ever, I was falling over within 5 minutes. Now, @ 9 years later, I can take it and a Tramadol for pain and it takes @ an hour before I want to go to sleep, but still works. There are other sleep aids to take besides Ambien but it is all addicting!

Closed Thread