It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

swtdremz HB User
Prozac and Alcohol

Can anyone tell me if they know anything about the effects of prozac mixed with alcohol? My son was put on prozac and within the following 6 months, he was suicidal, self destructive, and when drinking had blackouts, and would do things so unpredictable, that is was like he was on a path of destruction with the intent to die! He has a history of back problems, from blown discs, leaking spinal fluid, then had a very serious car accident, that broke his hip and burst his spleen, he had been put on many types of pain medications and has bad addictions now. He really seem to want to die after the prozac was prescribed, but never knew what was causing the behavior problems until he was incarcerated for forgery of a prescription, after going to the ER in pain, he had taking his daily prozac and had some beer, the Doctor gave him a prescription of 4 hydrocodone 5.500 he attempted to change the amount, something he would never have done had he been in his right mind, he didn't even remember the incident until he woke up in jail. I need to know anything anyone can tell me about the effects of prozac and alcohol, or even just the effects of prozac and suicidal thoughts, as he was doing many things to cause death even prior to this event, and not remembering it.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User
Re: Prozac and Alcohol

All I can say is that when you take an antidepressant and drink alcohol which is a depressant, it counteracts and makes you more depressed. Sometimes you can get aggressive, have blackouts, even die. None of that is good. I did drinka beer or 2 when I was on Prozac just now and then and I'd be drunk before the 2nd was done, that's crazy!

I hope he gets some help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

You really shouldn't drink alcohol at all on Prozac...It magnifys the effect of the alcohol making you twice as drunk.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
(female)

leahcar100 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtdremz View Post
Can anyone tell me if they know anything about the effects of prozac mixed with alcohol? My son was put on prozac and within the following 6 months, he was suicidal, self destructive, and when drinking had blackouts, and would do things so unpredictable, that is was like he was on a path of destruction with the intent to die! He has a history of back problems, from blown discs, leaking spinal fluid, then had a very serious car accident, that broke his hip and burst his spleen, he had been put on many types of pain medications and has bad addictions now. He really seem to want to die after the prozac was prescribed, but never knew what was causing the behavior problems until he was incarcerated for forgery of a prescription, after going to the ER in pain, he had taking his daily prozac and had some beer, the Doctor gave him a prescription of 4 hydrocodone 5.500 he attempted to change the amount, something he would never have done had he been in his right mind, he didn't even remember the incident until he woke up in jail. I need to know anything anyone can tell me about the effects of prozac and alcohol, or even just the effects of prozac and suicidal thoughts, as he was doing many things to cause death even prior to this event, and not remembering it.
Hiya sounds like a very scary time for you both. In my experience Prozac and alcohol together is lethal, the more you drink the more you want and there seems no end untill something bad happens. With me my personality changes drastically when drinking on prozac. It's not for everyone but prozac has helped me a lot as long as i dont drink, as i end up feeling 10 times more depressed the next day on topof everything else. Maybe he needs to change meds have heard a lot about prozac having averse effects without alcohol.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am sorry to hear about this! I can offer first-hand experience with Prozac mixed with alcohol. As a young woman at age 23, I like to drink socially. My doctor is aware of this and just warned me to be careful and keep the drinks to a minimum. I used to have a decent tolerance with alcohol for being a petite female. Once I started taking Prozac, my tolerance has been cut in half! I get drunk very quickly, after only 3 or so drinks. I'll admit, I used to have some nights where I drank quite a bit in the past and would get sick and all, but I'd always remember the night.... but ever since Prozac, I do forget big chunks of the night if I'm drinking more than I should. Since learning this, I try to keep drinks to a minimum and drink once a week at the MOST. It's scary to not remember things and get out of control. I don't have any changes in my mood, but I'm also on a pretty low dose of Prozac (20mg). I'd imagine that a higher dose can definitely affect your mood when mixed with alcohol. It's not uncommon to act that way when the two are mixed... I realize I am lucky that this does not happen with me, but I have plenty of experience of the alcohol hitting me very hard and blacking out. It's common for alcohol to cancel out an antidepressant and not make it work, thus, all the negatives from depression would come out worse than they would without the alcohol.

I used to take Cymbalta in the past and noticed that I had a lot of mood swings when mixed with alcohol. I'd get upset very easily over small things that typically wouldn't bother me. I did not have the blackouts at all... in fact, I found that alcohol didn't affect me as much with Cymbalta... it was very difficult to get tipsy or drunk and I'd just get so full from all the liquids. The mood swings were definitely not worth it!

I really hope your son considers how dangerous it can be to mix a lot of alcohol with Prozac and other medications. You really, really have to keep it to a minimum. My doctor said I would be fine with just a couple to a few drinks, but doesn't recommend much more at all. I've noticed this myself and 100% agree. Unfortunately, when you are struggling with depression, it's easy to not care about this and go ahead and drink anyway. If he can talk to you or someone about it, I hope that can help him out! Best of luck!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
(female)

fl0werchild HB User
Exclamation Re: Prozac and Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtdremz View Post
I have been on Prozac for about 3-4 years and I drank a bottle and a half of wine last weekend and ended up cursing out my friend, trying to open a moving cab, and punching my "friend" in the face. I don't remember punching my friend at all and I don't rem trying to exit a moving cab. I do rem thinking that they kicked me out of the cab and I remember being stranded and screamning at the door. I remember bits and pieces and apparently my perspective was skewed according to what I was told happened. There has been other times too where I had cursed out my friend and not been aware of how aggressive I was strangers too. So yea..I have to stop drinking now and I'm wondering if it is this combination of prozac and alcohol..

Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
(female)

fl0werchild HB User

yes, my persoanlity changes too..when I drink (and I'm on prozac) my friends say I'm not the same person at all and I become really mean and aggressive and abusive

Closed Thread