It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
(male)

James2468 HB User
What does Wellbutrin do to dopamine levels?

I suffer from multiple mental health problems including depression. I was on Wellbutrin for a few months, but quite frankly, did not notice a significant improvment in my depressed state. I also worried when I learned that Wellbutrin may increase one's blood pressure, and given my phobic tendancies, this caused me to worry that my blood pressure would increase to unacceptable/dangerous levels if I stayed on it, so my doctor and I decided to stop using it. Sorry this isn't a good news story (I have been on prozac and celexa before as well, and they too did not seem to help). I wonder if Zoloft or Lexapro could be a solution......?

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 04-13-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: post was moved due to OP being five years old

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Re: What does Wellbutrin do to dopamine levels?

Lexapro is good for worrying.So if you have that as one of your problems it could be beneficial.I'm a constant worrier,and lexapro did help a lot.It took me a while before I found something that helped to.(although for me,prozac did help too)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

You have to keep trying till you find something that works. I'm on wellbutrin but also Pristiq. Well and Ativan for anxiety. This combo seems ok so far.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

as for your original question, I'm pretty sure that wellbutrin raises dopamine levels. I would think with your phobic and anxious tendencies you'd do better on an SSRI. I'm surprised Prozac didn't help you. Maybe Lexapro or Zoloft would be better.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User

I liked zoloft the best, hardly any side affects and causes low blood pressure, so that should be good. Zoloft is good in mushing the mind and making me not anxious, calms me down.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
(male)

James2468 HB User

Looks like we have votes for both Lexapro and Zoloft....

Yes, WhenItRains, I am a big/constant worrier as well......thanks for your comments on Lexapro.

And thanks to you breadandjelly for your Zoloft comments - calming down and not being so anxious is something I need as well, but I worry (there I go again....) about a "mushy mind" feeling or any mind-numbing effect of these medications that would make a person mentally 'slower' (i.e., can't think clearly, make bad decisions, become lethargic, etc). By the way, is "bread and jelly" your favorite treat....?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2468 View Post
Looks like we have votes for both Lexapro and Zoloft....

And thanks to you breadandjelly for your Zoloft comments - calming down and not being so anxious is something I need as well, but I worry (there I go again....) about a "mushy mind" feeling or any mind-numbing effect of these medications that would make a person mentally 'slower' (i.e., can't think clearly, make bad decisions, become lethargic, etc). By the way, is "bread and jelly" your favorite treat....?
Yes, I always like my bread with jelly, I really don't like it with butter at all!
I am a very small person so meds effect me greatly. So the mushing of the mind...I am not sure if it effects everyone like that maybe if you are on a high dose but on small doses it mushes my mind already. But when I am in the pit of pits, I don't mind a mushy mind. I just have to stay at home on those days to avoid any consequenses a mushy mind might make me do.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2468 View Post
I suffer from multiple mental health problems including depression. I was on Wellbutrin for a few months, but quite frankly, did not notice a significant improvment in my depressed state. I also worried when I learned that Wellbutrin may increase one's blood pressure, and given my phobic tendancies, this caused me to worry that my blood pressure would increase to unacceptable/dangerous levels if I stayed on it, so my doctor and I decided to stop using it. Sorry this isn't a good news story (I have been on prozac and celexa before as well, and they too did not seem to help). I wonder if Zoloft or Lexapro could be a solution......?
The neurotransmitter angle is an exercise in frustration imo. Chemical imbalance is an unproven theory anyway. Unfortunately it boils down to trial and error.

Closed Thread