It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Wellbutrin Feedback?

I currently take Prozac for anxiety, but lately have been falling back into depression. I feel like my Prozac does help my anxiety, but I wanted to look more into Wellbutrin since there were a few things about it that interested me.

First of all, Prozac does make me tired and a bit more forgetful. I feel drowsy and dizzy quite often. I've heard that Wellbutrin can make you feel more energized, which would be a huge plus for me. I also like that it's one of the meds that isn't as likely to cause weight gain, which is another thing I like about Prozac. I don't want to go on anything with a good chance of weight gain, because I used to struggle with body image problems and don't want that issue again.

If Wellbutrin can help my depression and anxiety, yet give me more energy, that would be wonderful. I feel like all I want to do is sleep these days and I'm just so worn down. My motivation and joy for many things has been fading away. I bought my dream car and just want to be able to enjoy it and have fun... and I want to be able to feel better at work so I can be more productive and upbeat about things. I don't enjoy going places like I used to and feel like I have to drag myself to do anything. I hate that feeling! Working out has also been very difficult when I'm feeling so tired. I keep also wanting to eat a lot of sweets, which isn't typical for me, because of stress. I just want to get everything under control before things get worse. I had some struggles a few years ago and really don't want to become like I was in my past.

If anyone can offer any feedback on Wellbutrin, I would greatly appreciate it! What did you like about it, what didn't you like, any side effects, etc.? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Re: Wellbutrin Feedback?

Hey,

I have taken Wellbutrin since August of last year along with Pristiq. The Wellbutrin definitely gave me an energy boost within the first couple of weeks, I went from couch potato the energizer bunny. The energy boost did, however, only last for a few weeks. The Dr has since then upped the dosage a few times, as I would fall back into depression, and blah. I am now on 200 mg twice a day. My energy level finally seems to have leveled off at a good level.

I have lost quite a bit of weight on the wellbutrin along with carefully planned diet and exercise. I am not sure how much is the wellbutrin and how much is the diet and exercise. I am guessing that the wellbutrin has made it easier for me to stay motivated to eat healthy and to exercise.

I am still on Pristiq and I also take Depakote, which helps me sleep and keeps my temper in check ;-)

Hope this helps you!

P

Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

mmKay HB User

[I'm also taking Celexa]
I started taking Wellbutrin @ 150, then increased to 300, and a couple of weeks up to 450. At 150 it did nothing. At 300 I did notice that my mood was more stable and my hunger had decreased, but I didn't loose any weight. In terms of energy.. it did nothing for me on that end either. I'm still ridiculously tired all day. When I started taking 450 everything went downhill. I went back to crying all day for no reason, so my doctor told me to go back to 300. I didn't have any side effects when I started it but even though I had only been on 450 for about a week, I did have side effects coming back down to 300. Other than what happened on the high dose, no complaints about it.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thank you both for your replies. If I decide to try it out, I will definitely try to stick with a lower dose and see how that goes. I prefer to have a lower dose anyway to reduce any possible side effects.

I don't mind if my weight stays the same with no loss, but I just don't want anything that will likely make me gain. I do work hard to stay in shape and exercise, so I hate to see that all go down the drain because of a medication.

Hm... well, it sounds like I might have a chance of energy, maybe not. Or maybe short term. I wonder how it compares to Prozac in terms of energy levels. I remember when I first started taking Prozac, I didn't feel as tired. It seemed to be more noticeable with time.

I might look into the possibility of taking Wellbutrin and then keep my Xanax prescribed for an as needed only basis. It really, really helps my anxiety levels when I'm having a rough time. I have heard of some people who take Xanax regularly, but I don't want to run the addiction risk that doctors say may happen. I also find that Xanax does make me tired and typically I take a nap with it, so I'd rather not take it all the time anyway... especially not in the mornings!

Thanks again for your replies!!

Closed Thread