It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
(male)

bear6079 HB User
Question what does citalopram do?

Today I was just prescribed citalopram and I want to know what it is for? Does it work? And what should I expect from it? I am already on 300mgs of Wellbutron for depression and the Citalopram is for anxiety.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

mmKay HB User
Re: what does citalopram do?

Citalopram is an SSRI, it works on a different neurotransmitter than Wellbutrin. I took Wellbutrin alone for a few weeks before I started taking Celexa (citalopram) and now I take both. I thought I was doing fine with just the Wellbutrin but my doctor thought I was still too depressed so he added the other one. I don't know what to tell you in terms of what to expect because we all know that ADs affect everyone differently. I've read tons of pages about how Celexa worked wonders for others. I feel like it hasn't done anything for me, though. I kept taking it for the benefit of the doubt since I know they take weeks to start working but it's been 2 months now so.. we'll see what my doctor says next time I'm there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
(male)

bear6079 HB User

I don't know if this is a reasonable fear or not, but I am worried about taking the celexa. Now I hope it works and work well, but I am scared because I am so used to having intrusive thoughts and then feeling sick, guilty, scared, and so on that when I stop having these symptoms, I am not gonna know what to do because it's been so present that it's just gonna be weird. I am also scared that I will still have the intrusive thoughts without the reactions. And this scares me because the reactions have are like the signal that something isn't right or the thought is irrational. I don't know why any of this would scare me, but it does.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I take 10mgs of citalopram. It has a sedating effect on me. This is in addition to 60mgs of buspar twice a day. The buspar is for anxiety. It is like an antidepressent in that you don't feel high when you take it. I had a little depression going so that is what the citalopram is for. I occasionally still get intrusive thoughts and if they are bothersome I take a xanax. But most of the time I live a pretty normal life. Sometimes it takes more than one drug. I hope that it works and your thoughts go away. I know that I felt a big relief when mine went away. I was able to concentrate alot better. Hope this helps. Godbless

Closed Thread