It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
(male)

Pboy HB User
How long did it take Lexapro to work for you?

Tomorrow will be 1 month and I haven't noticed any changes except a decreased libido.

How long does it usually take before significant changes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
(male)

Pboy HB User
Re: How long did it take Lexapro to work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pboy View Post
Tomorrow will be 1 month and I haven't noticed any changes except a decreased libido.

How long does it usually take before significant changes?
Doc doubled my dosage to 20 mg.

6 more weeks at this dosage and if no results it's back to the drawing board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
(female)

Esha HB UserEsha HB User

i took it for up to 5 months and it didnt work for me, so i switched to effexor which thank god works for me (so far). im on a high dose though of 350mg. lexapro didnt do much for me. it works for some people but it didnt for me. its a terrible journey trying to find the right meds. the ones that really work with minimal side effects. all the best. keep your chin up. it took me 2-3 years. i think of it as some kind of right of passage. take care.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
(male)

DPalmacci HB User

yeah Effexor works great, but at a price (be warned of the withdrawal symptoms, although you can ween off it, there is hope).

Last edited by DPalmacci; 05-13-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
(male)

Pboy HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't read too many success stories about Lexapro, but I'm going to give in a try for a bit longer.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
(female)

BrooxBroox HB User

Have you been diagnosed with a specific mental or psychiatric condition?

The reason I ask is because Lexapro is typically used to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and/or depression. I have been diagnosed with GAD and depression both. I started taking 10 mg Lexapro about 2 years ago and it took about 4 weeks to really kick in. I was on it for 9 months and got to doing so well that I thought maybe I could function off of it. Then I went 3 months without it and couldn't deal so I got right back on it at 10 mg. The second time I got back on it, I noticed it working within about 2 weeks. I think it worked faster this time because I have been on it before and my body reacted quickly.

I have heard a lot of people who were dissatisfied with Lexapro, but it has worked wonders for me and it has started working soon after I started each time.

But if you do not have GAD and Depression, which is mainly what is is most effective in treating, it may not work for you.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
(male)

Pboy HB User

Yes, GAD and mild/moderate depression.

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 05-19-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote removed

Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
(female)

BrooxBroox HB User

Well, I suppose everyone is different and different meds work for different people. But I can honestly say that Lexapro was my miracle med. It works perfectly for me. I wish it could do the same for everyone.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Took lexapro for 6 weeks and it didn't work at ALL for me... it made me so tired and even more depressed. Wellbutrin(NON generic) seems to be the answer for me personally.

Last edited by Jess75; 05-19-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Closed Thread