It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
(female)

hunter2 HB User
Chronic emptiness & boredom

For years now I have been on a downward spiral. Every minute of the day drags on painfully slow. I have no hobbies, no interests, no social life, no life whatsoever. I haven't had a social life in forever because I am withdrawn. I dread waking up because I know every day will be the same...it's like I'm living the movie groundhog day.

I don't work because of my mental health issues. All day I lay around in my bed, or watch tv, or go online for hours. I can't take it anymore. I can't take dreading every single day because this chronic boredom/emptiness is killing me. Even if I go out anywhere, I still feel absolutely no sense of joy or fun.

The main problem for me isn't even feelings of sadness. It is the feelings of chronic emptiness/boredom....having no joy or excitement or anything to look forward to. I don't enjoy doing ANYTHING....but doing nothing every day has made me feel like I'm in prison. So there is no break from this constant hell I am in. I have tried a few AD's which didn't work, I am going to try Wellbutrin soon. Problem is I don't see any pill changing this. I don't see myself suddenly not feeling empty anymore. I ask "what am I missing that will make me feel like life is worth it" and I can't think of one thing.

I am sick of feeling this way. Everyone has hobbies and things that excite them. Everyone has friends and has fun in life. Except for me. I live an isolated repetitive empty life. And I don't know WHAT I need to change that.

Last edited by hunter2; 05-24-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

hsp1 HB User
Re: Chronic emptiness & boredom

Oh my goodness, I thought that I was reading all about me, sweetie your are totallly not alone. I am going through this same thing, I have one friend/roommate who works full time I make online friends but they end up blowing me off cause they are tired of me. I litterally sleep all day waiting for my only friend to come home from work. I don't want to go outside cause this neighborhood is totally unsafe, I have no car, I don't work cause of mental issues and there is NO hobbie that I have at the moment. There is no bus line near me, I don't drive cause of my phobia. When I am awake I sit infront of the computer for hours, hoping to find a friend to talk to and I hate eating cause I have no motivation to eat or do anything.
{{{HUG}}} to you and again know that you are not alone. I really wish I had some advice for you, cause I don't seeing how I am in the same situation. I am so sorry that this is happening to you.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User

Hi there all,
I know its hard, I go through spells like this as well. You can think about the things in life that make you smile/happy. There are limitations for example the neighbourhood doesnt allow you to travel about as freely as you would like. Just wondering though how both of you are surviving without work? Work or a form of volunteer work may keep you occupied and give you a purpose as well. Life is difficult when time doesnt go by well and so the best hope is to find ways of ensuring that things can turn around and make you fulfill your life in some way. Thanks

Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

You say you don't work because of your mental health issues, but lying around in bed all day is only going to make your mental health issues worse. If you can't work, you should at least volunteer somewhere. In between school getting out this semester and starting summer school, I could already start to feel the depression/emptiness settling in just from having nothing to do for a couple weeks. You absolutely have to have something to go to in your day or your depression will just get worse. Exercising and getting out helps tremendously. It's hard to start, but once you do you feel so much better. At least get out and take a walk - I hate when people say stuff like that when I'm depressed, it sounds so petty, but it really does help.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

I'd be surprised if loneliness is not the number one cause of depression. Join a club, find an activity partner, cultivate a new friendship. While this requires pushing, it has to be done.

Closed Thread