It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

julie99 HB User
Anyone have short term memory loss with anti-depressants?

Does anyone associate memory loss with anti-depressants. I am taking
Citalopram (Celexa) 40 mgs. I was taking 20 and didn't notice the memory loss. When I changed to the 40 mgs, now I'm forgetting everything.
It's like the joke about going into another room and forgetting what you went
there for. That's exactly what I do. I put something down and forget where I put it. Even important things I am forgetting.

My niece has just started (2 months) taking Citalopram and she is having
short term memory loss also.

It may not be the Citalopram, it could be stress. I can't find any information on this anywhere so far.

Anyone have any ideas??

Jeannie

Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User
Re: Anyone have short term memory loss with anti-depressants?

I was going to tell you about my experience with this, but I forgot what I was going to say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

haha,digmusic,that was funny

I definitely have this too! It almost feels like when you go out drinking and can't remember what you did the night before.
Frequently I'll forget something that JUST HAPPENED.My husband and daughter will tell me what I did or said,and I cannot for the life of me remember these things.Some days I forget what day it is,or what month.
I don't really have solutions! It drives me though.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

Yup. Can't remember minute to minute what I'm doing, forget simple words, just a total flake but I can remember longterm memories which makes everyone think I'm lying to avoid something...

Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User

I experience many of the same things as you guys. I spoke to my therapist about it, and he said that in my case it is most likely stress as I have had a lot going on lately.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

DH is conestantly telling me that we have previously had the same conversation I try to start and I have no clue about it. I will be talking and lose word and then while trying to get the words out I will forget what I was talking about. So yes, my short term memory is shot.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yes, I get this way too, although it is VERY hard to tell if it's actually the medication or me being very tired and stressed. My anxiety wears me out, so I get sleepy, and thus, forgetful.

I did learn that with Prozac, I have to be very careful with alcohol. I had never gotten to the point where I can't remember the night when drinking, even if I am very drunk. Now I get that way, so I've cut back. I don't like that feeling of not knowing what is going on. Funny thing is, when I took Cymbalta in the past, I was the opposite... I could have a good amount of alcohol and barely feel it at all.

I write everything down. I use a planner and I use the organization tools in my phone constantly. I feel a bit nerdy having to do this, but it's saved me! If I don't write things down, I constantly think about them and worry I'll forget. I get anxious and I'll think about what I have to do at night. Now that I write things down and make lists and schedules, I truly feel like I can clear my mind about those things. If only I could do this about other things I get anxious about Maybe one day!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
(female)

dizzy kizzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayDone View Post
Yup. Can't remember minute to minute what I'm doing, forget simple words, just a total flake but I can remember longterm memories which makes everyone think I'm lying to avoid something...
OMG that is so me ..........................lol x

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
(male)

cavillor HB User

YES: from both Effexor and Lexapro, even at minute doses (17.75 and 5 mg, respectively).

After a full week of repeating to myself, over and over again, "remember your goggles for your lab class on Tuesday" -- having forgotten them the week before! -- I forgot them, again, the day after I started on Lexapro. The week prior, when I had forgotten them the first time, I had just started on Effexor! (I switched almost immediately because the aches-and-pains, tooth-gritting, appetite-destroying side effects were unbearable from day one.) So the two anti-depressants together caused me to fail the class for the entire semester. I'm usually a bit scatterbrained -- but not like that!

Furthermore, maintaining conversations with other people and reading books became agonizing exercises. Words streamed in through my eyes and ears without bothering to reach my mind. I had no memory for anything anyone said or anything I read. I'm on no SSRI's anymore and the memory's back to normal.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
(male)

wzlongD HB User

hi julie99 and everybody, I ran into this post because I 'm in a furious hunt for treatment for my cognitive decline induced by SSRIs . I just want to say that I'm now quite certain that ADs such as SSRIs may cause cognitive impairment including memory loss, concentration loss, slow response....All these symptoms are driving me mad, since I've been off all ADs for 1.5 years but all these symptoms remain.

I know this post is a bit old, but I think it is not worthless to give my opinion.

If anybody finds a treatment or has already recovered , do please reply !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Do you guys have any advice on how to tell for sure if it's actually the medication causing this, or something else? I am often really tired, and of course I'm a few years older since this has started. I am the type of person who needs a full 8 hours of sleep, so after getting about 6 hours for so long, I think it really takes a toll on my memory, balance, etc! I just feel "off" a lot of the time. My goal is to one day get my schedule down straight so I can sleep more.

Right now I have to choose between working out at around 10pm or going to bed, and I work out because I don't want to gain weight and get out of shape. The past year I've gotten married, purchased the car I've wanted since being a child, had a close one pass away with a long struggle with cancer, two of my other colleagues quit work which left only me and my boss, and now buying a house... so I think that everyday tasks and events going on can take a toll on one too!

How do you all tell if it's things happening from life that cause stress and lack of rest, or if it's actually the medication? I'd love to improve my memory and feel more "there" rather than like life is a dream and I'm just kind of floating around. It's frustrating. It's hard for me to remember when this started and if it was before or after starting AD's.

Now I'm on Wellbutrin rather than Prozac, since it's typically not a med to make you drowsy. Since I didn't get them from a psychiatrist (just a regular doctor), they accidentally gave me too low a dose, so I need to get this adjusted. No wonder I can't tell a difference, haha! I'm taking Wellbutrin SL once a day, and I've since found out that I either need to be taking SL twice a day or XL once a day! Luckily since taking it, I don't notice anything going downhill with my concentration and memory. With Prozac, I felt really good at first, but noticed that I my sleep quality was much worse, and thus, I was being more forgetful.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
(male)

wzlongD HB User

hi tUrRrRa,
I also used to owe my memory loss to bad sleep quality, because not long before I took SSRIs , I was suffering from neurasthenia , and I found out that bad sleep quality or not enough sleep would cause memory loss. However, the memory loss I'm now suffering is different from that of neurasthenia. memory loss due to neurasthenia would improve if I got a good sleep, however,my memory loss due to Post SSRI Side Effect won't. And lots of other phenomena convince me that my cognitive impariment is due to the SSRI that I took.
Sorry, My English is not good enough to express all what I want to say. But there's no doubt that Ads affact our brains, causing effects both we want and do not want , and no one can guarantee that all the effects are reversible.

Anyway, I suggest you be VERY cautious of meds, NEVER abuse them!. Why don't you try some no-med therapies, such as exercise and consulting, at least they are much less likely to cause permanent impairment.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for your helpful reply! Well, hopefully I will soon get regular sleep and then I can see if I have any improvement. I have felt like this probably for the past 10 years, and the first time I tried an anti-depressant was about 3 years ago. I have been on birth control pills for a long time, and I think these may also contribute to being tired. I will not stop taking them though, because if I do, I tend to get very sick every month and get frequent migraines. I'd rather feel tired than feel ill so often. I do stay up later on weekends and sleep in, and I've been told that I should try to stick to the same schedule as much as possible. I have compromised and no longer stay up VERY late, and just stay up a little bit later. I'm usually pretty tired anyway!

I've talked to doctors about my tiredness and how I lose my concentration and become forgetful, but we have not determined what it may be. I have never had a sleep test, so I'd be curious to see if I have a sleep disorder. I am VERY disoriented in the mornings. Do any of you feel that mornings are extra difficult after taking meds? I feel like I am drunk in the morning, without much balance and I have trouble waking. Even if I take a shower and wash my face to wake myself up, I still feel that way for a while.

I use lots of non-medical therapies, which I think are very, very good! I try to not take medication unless I really need them. I choose to keep taking my birth control pills, and I do take over the counter medication for my occasional migraines. I might need to start taking a prescription though, which worries me because these often have the same side effects of short term memory loss and loss of concentration. I found one that does not, so I will probably try that one.

Perhaps Wellbutrin will be a better option since it isn't an SSRI. I'd be curious to see how it works in the long term. Right now I'm on a low dose, and I'd rather take the lowest I can, and one day try going without it. I went without medication for a while and was struggling. Exercise helps me so much, but unfortunately I haven't been able to run like I used to, because I have some pains in my abdomen from a surgery I got at the end of last year. Hopefully those pains will go away soon. I still work out, but I can't run for as long as I used to. I also like to read books that give me good motivation, or just books that I enjoy. Time to relax is very good. For my mental alertness, I like to play puzzle games, such as sudoku and finding words. At work, if I'm feeling groggy, I get up and walk around just for a minute. Sometimes getting some fresh air outside helps too.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
(female)

Layla Z HB User

Hiya,

Sorry to hear about your memory loss. I had the same thing. Was on anti-depressants for 5 years and the memory loss got so bad that it was hard to function. I've now been off all meds for 5 years and I still have terrible memory loss. It's probably gotten better since being off the meds, but still isn't back to normal. To me I don't think meds are worth the side effects, but maybe that is just my bad experiences.

Hope things get better for you! I heard omega 3 is good for memory loss. I've been taking them for the past few weeks and haven't noticed a difference yet, maybe I need to double the dose.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
(female)

Sorchagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayDone View Post
I've been on Celexa for about 12 years now, but recently was switched to citalopram. While I've always been a bit of a space cadet, my memory loss, especially my tendency to loss words, has gotten worse with the switch from Celexa to Citalopram. It's really frustrating, but my insurance won't pay for Celexa anymore, and after having tried going off of Celexa for 6 months several years back, I don't think going off of the anxiety meds is a good idea. Extremely frustrating, but what can you do? It's good to know I'm not the only one who's losing her words into space though

Closed Thread