It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

JenArt HB User
Contemplating Going Off of Effexor-Advice?

I would really appreciate some input from those of you who have gone off Effexor. I tend to ramble, so I知 going to try to just give the basics here. I have lurked here for quite a while but registered finally because I would like to hear what others have to say.

Breakdown about 5-6 years ago. Over the course of several months, doc gave me several meds to help. As a last resort, she gave me Effexor XR. For the first time in close to a year, I began to see the world in colors again, instead of just gray. We spent some time tweaking the Effexor and for a long while things were great. Eventually I was on 150mg per day with an added 37.5. Due to financial reasons, I began omitting the 37.5 and just taking the 150 XR. I did feel the difference a bit, that little bump did help, but it痴 so darn expensive and we are cutting corners like crazy.

Now I知 at the point where I知 considering starting to get off of the 150. I致e read so much about how horrible the drug is, how difficult it is to get off of, etc. I知 just wondering if I should go off altogether at this point.

The bottom line it, however, I知 terrified of going back to the way I was. I知 already getting iffy with my mood lately用assive thoughts of suicide, feeling despondent, feeling hopeless預ll of the very typical thoughts of those of us who suffer from depression. I spent this morning writing a suicide note in my head. I知 not even emotionally depressed today..just very empty, numb, and matter-of-fact about it all. I have a wonderful son, so I would never go through with it, but I know it痴 not healthy to be having those thoughts, period.

My question is.to those of you who have used Effexor, did you find you felt better or worse after getting off the drug? I hear so many horror stories about it, but in my case, it had a huge positive impact on my life. But it痴 been about 5 years now and I wonder if I should try going off of it. I don稚 want to be a slave to it for the rest of my life. There was a period when I felt that I would be on it for the rest of my life, but now, after reading so much about it, I wonder if I change the way I view that idea.

Any thoughts and/or advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!! If it matters, I am female and 42 and take .5mg of Xanax at night before bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
(male)

Johndg2 HB User
Re: Contemplating Going Off of Effexor-Advice?

The doc should tell you, I went off effexor by cutting back 37.5mg each week and had no problems!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
(female)

JenArt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndg2 View Post
The doc should tell you, I went off effexor by cutting back 37.5mg each week and had no problems!
How did you feel, though, once you were off? I just wonder if the Effexor is actually making me feel worse now due to building a tolerance, or if I'm going to fall back down the dark tunnel once I'm off.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
(male)

Johndg2 HB User

I felt pretty normal, really no difference on or off that med, I think that effexor just didn't work for me

Old 09-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hi there i hope this day finds you doing well. i took effexor for awhile and i could not tell any difference.i have been dealing with DEEP depression for a very long time,since 1992. i have been on ALOT of different meds at different times.i think it's just a matter of finding what DOES work for you.there are still days i think i won't get out of this black hole but i just keep trying.i will tell you this this board has really helped me ALOT!!!!!!! hope to talk to you soon until next time TAKE CARE

Old 09-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

choclate HB User

I was on Effexor for sometime in my life. I had to leave it for its negative sexual side effects. Effexor was a bit too strong for me. The leaving part was tough too. It caused me a bit of tremor in my head when I was leaving it. It was eventually ok.

About being a slave of an antidepressant, I would only say that it is always nice to enjoy every moment in life that you have and if a medicine can help achieve it. Go for it.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
(female)

JenArt HB User

Thank you to those who gave their input. I'm still contemplating going off, but definitely won't do it w/out plenty of research and advice from those who are familiar with the drug and its pros and cons.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
(female)

dayzee8 HB User

Definitely talk to your doctor and be as honest as possible when you do, that's the only way you will be able to find the right meds and dosage for you.
Whatever you do, I would highly recommend that you do not just quit effexor cold turkey! Just missing a dose can cause terrible side effects. If you do quit, quit with your doctors advise.
I told my doctor I wanted to stop. She put me on 75mg from 150. The first day I was fine. The 2nd day was yucky.
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/932785-effexor-xr-coming-off.html

Last edited by dayzee8; 12-26-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
(female)

USmiss HB User

I would suggest weening off very slowly. When I went off of Effexor, I did not feel good at all. I felt dizzy, light headed and just plain strange, like I was dreaming or something. It's always best to go off any medication slowly because you never know how it will affect you.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
(male)

PanicProne HB User

Not sure if you want to stay on medication but i recently got off my AD, and within 2 weeks my panic and my depression came back. I was on Effexor XR for some time the withdraw effects are horrible not trying to scare you but there awful!!!!!!!!!!!! I switched from the Effexor to Celexa a while back. The dose is much lower as in MGs. Works much better than the Effexor in my opinion. Good Luck

Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
(female)

brokenmind29 HB User

I was on effexor for a whole year. This past December my dr. Upped my dosage from 150 to 220 because on the 150 I felt like you...hopeless,numb, thinking bad thoughts.well after being on effexor 220 a day for 35 days I was admitted to a ward. That pill did everything I read it would. I tried so hard to fight all that feeling but failed. My dr. In the ward quickly took me off...i went from 220 mg of effexor a day to 75mg for 2 days then no more. She put me on 25 mg of lamictal. I am now on day 6 of lamictal and no effexor and I feel the following:
Itchy...tired..mini brain zaps especially when I blink my eyes and get up from the bed and or a chair. My stomach is churning and I am shaking..grinding my teeth and headaches. ....and feeling very sexual. Idk if its from the withdrawal or the new meds.... I ramble as well so idk if I helped you or made no sense.
All I want is a day where I feel "normal"

Closed Thread